PDA

View Full Version : manipulating a STL file

Drools
04-01-2012, 10:43 PM
I'm a complete noob when working with STL files. I found a set of chess pieces in stl format however they are vertical and I would like to try and cut them with my 3 axis machine. Can the models be rotated 90 degrees so they lay flat? I can try some double sided routing if this is possible?

EBC
04-01-2012, 10:55 PM
yes.....what software are you using to import?

Drools
04-02-2012, 07:10 AM
well thanks to this forum I have a few friends that make my tool paths for me as I'm CAM-less. They use ArtCAM and Aspire to make the tool paths for me. I'm still looking for an affordable package that is easy to learn.

awerby
04-02-2012, 03:06 PM
Take a look at DeskProto. There is a two-side wizard that keeps the part in registration when you flip it over to do the other side. If you've got a rotary fourth axis, it supports that. We offer greatly reduced hobbyist pricing to non-commercial users, and you can download and use it for a month for free.

Andrew Werby
ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software (http://www.computersculpture.com)

Drools
04-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the link Andrew, I will have a look at it asap. I do have a lot of experience with double sided PCB creation that is why I was wondering if the stl model could be made to lay flat. I guess the model could be sliced down the middle and then made to lay flat, both sides would be cut to the same relief.

ger21
04-02-2012, 04:08 PM
The CAM software should let you rotate the model when it's imported.

awerby
04-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Yes, just about every CAM software (including DeskProto) has that ability. But if you're cutting something on two sides, you've got to leave a "frame" of material around it that can be registered when it flips over, and some supports that will attach it to the frame. Deskproto will do all that automatically; in other programs you'd do it in your CAD program and provide pins and holes to register the part so the halves match up.

Andrew Werby
ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software (http://www.computersculpture.com)