PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Heat concerns for upcoming build...

kinghong1970
03-15-2012, 11:59 AM
I've purchased the CNCRP's 4 axis Nema 23 kit
- Meanwell SE-600-48 48V 12.5A PSU
- Gecko G540 4 axis stepper motor driver
- 4 High-torque Nema 23 380 oz-in stepper motors.

i have a bunch of MB's and PC cases lying around...
i imagine that i'll need separate PSU for the PC in addition to the PSU above and was wondering how much heat does these components produce?

i was considering using one of my larger cases and install everything in there and have a couple of 120mm fans blowing fresh air into it.

also, in the future, even the SuperPID, i'd like to mount in the case.

so the questions:
1) is it going to be fine putting various electronic components, PC parts, SuperPID and G540 in close proximity to each other?
2) how much heat is produced by the G540?
3) does the PSU also produce heat? if so, how much?
4) will a couple of dedicated 120mm fans be enough to cool them?

thanks in advance.

Al

Fastest1
03-15-2012, 12:14 PM
You will be fine. This is quite a common build technique to install everything in a PC case. All electrical item generate heat. The most important part is isolation from ground loops and EMF. The G540 runs pretty cool IMO though it can be mounted to a piece of aluminum as a heat sink.

jckstrthmghty
03-15-2012, 12:17 PM
1) is it going to be fine putting various electronic components, PC parts, SuperPID and G540 in close proximity to each other?

Sure why not? You'll see many builds placing all the components into one case.

2) how much heat is produced by the G540?

A fair bit. I wouldn't want to attach the g540 to a plastic mount.

3) does the PSU also produce heat? if so, how much?

Ofcourse. The amount depends how many volts you draw from it.

4) will a couple of dedicated 120mm fans be enough to cool them?

Yup. Follow common sense for air flow in your case and you'll be fine.

ger21
03-15-2012, 12:58 PM
The G540 should have a fan blowing directly on it I believe (I don't have one).

One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of dust is going to be sucked into a PC case. I'm not sure you can seal it or filter all the places dust can enter a PC case. I see it all the time, but I can't imagine using a standard PC case in my garage, where everything always has dust on it.

All my components are mounted in a single box, with a square type automotive air filter in front of the intake fans. You can get these for less than $10, and they will keep out all the dust. These filters have a soft rubber flange, and I just cnc'd a frame to mount it to the box.

kinghong1970
03-15-2012, 01:00 PM
damn, that was one of my concerns... my stock cases are the old lian li cases... when they loved drilling a zillion holes all over...

hmmm....

FandZ
03-15-2012, 10:04 PM
One thing that I've learned over the years is if you keep the air pressure positive in your case you'll accumulate a lot less dust. Meaning that you have most of your fans blowing in than out. It doesn't give dust a chance to settle. It'll push it out through the cracks and any openings. It's not perfect but it works a lot better.

I've used my G540 without a fan plenty but only indoors with AC. It does get very hot though. Recently I've glued a small heatsink on the bottom and have it and it's power supply mounted in a box. For now the power supply fan provides the only air intake in the box. Eventually I'll mount a 120mm fan. Use caution but the G540 can handle some heat. It's just better to be safe than sorry.