PDA

View Full Version : Newbie how to select curves for drilling?

dwneumann
03-14-2012, 12:38 AM
My Rhino model (pdf attached) is a solid with holes, created using boolean unions and differences of primitive solids. But the edges of the resulting holes through the model are not "selectable" in MadCam's Drill toolpath strategy.

How do I "select" the round holes and the "semi-circles" at the end of elongated chanels for drilling? I don't have to "explode" the solid model back into disconnected surfaces for MadCam do I?

thanks...

williamsmotower
03-14-2012, 01:58 PM
I've never used boolean, but what I do is create new layers for circles. Make it a different color... And just click on those.

williamsmotower
03-14-2012, 02:01 PM
aand elongated holes, try duplicate edge or border in a new layer. those half circles and lines you may have to use join function

svenakela
03-14-2012, 03:09 PM
The edges are for sure selectable, it depends on how you do it. In Rhino there are no edge lines. But if you initialize a command that can use edge curves they are enabled.

Therefore, click the drilling icon first, then you can choose the hole edge.

dwneumann
03-14-2012, 10:23 PM
thanks for these replies.
Based on the replies I did use an extra layer, and used the DupEdge command to recreate the hole edges and semi-sircle edges. MadCam didn't like semi-circular arcs as drill edges so I had to redraw circles over the arcs.

svenakela
03-15-2012, 04:27 AM
I really don't understand what you're doing. I'm doing drilling procedures with the hole edge withoutany extra layers.