PDA

View Full Version : Need Help! slitting saw & dovetail cutters & strategies

dwneumann
03-08-2012, 10:36 PM
I'm having trouble figuring out how to define a slitting saw cutting tool. Also, once I get it defined, which of the MadCam toolpath strategies will cut a horizontal slit from a vertical spindle? I have the same problem with defining a dovetail cutter and picking a strategy for doing a dovetailed groove. How do I do these in MadCam?
Thanks.....

williamsmotower
03-09-2012, 10:50 AM
I have not tried generating toolpaths for your questions, but thought about how to do it.

I think you can, but need to be creative. Fudging tool dia and creatively using stepover could achieve a usable toolpath . You would have to draw your part longer than it actually is to allow tool to return to safe z height without collision.

dwneumann
03-15-2012, 09:25 PM
Still unable to create a dovetail tool in MadCam....
The Tapered Cutter tool puts up an error if the bottom diameter of the taper is larger than the top diameter (see attached). I tried all sorts of different parameter and angle settings.

Has anyone successfully defined a dovetail cutter in MadCam? Did you use Tapered Cutter or something else?
Thx...

williamsmotower
03-15-2012, 11:18 PM
You won't be able to define it. Use major dia of dovetail cutter. Madcam will think its a flat faced standard endmill.

Now you have to be very careful with your profile cutting strategy. You have to overshoot the part so if you have a z up move it doesn't crash. Just draw an extra line, like an inch longer than actual path needed.

dwneumann
03-15-2012, 11:47 PM
ok thanks williamsmotower. I am guessing that this applies to all formtools in general. I'll do it as you suggest.....

Dan B
03-19-2012, 08:24 AM
I believe the plan for madCAM 5 is to allow more options for defining custom tool shapes.

Dan