PDA

View Full Version : Need Help! Probotix USB CNC Controller Help Required Please!

rapidlock
02-25-2012, 06:02 PM
Last August I purchase this kit: 3-Axis SideStep 180 Stepper Motor Driver Kit - 3-Axis SideStep 180 Stepper Motor Driver Kit (http://www.probotix.com/index.php?view=product&path=22&product_id=153) with the PBX-USB option.

I just now found the time to wire it all up. I've wired it all up as directed, but for some reason I can't get any movement on my stepper motors using either the wired up jog keys, or the jog keys in the software (when I do use the jog keys, I can see movement in the software). I've set up the software and updated the firmware. I set it for the inverse pulse as required. When I first turn on the machine, and hit the jog key, I get a tiny tiny bit of movement on the motor (maybe a single step), but that's it. I've only wired the X axis for the time being until I get this problem solved.

I'm pretty certain it's wired correctly, and it's some stupid little thing that I've done wrong but I'll be darned if I can figure it out.

For background, I'm a locksmith by trade, and my only CNC experience is with the CNC engraver we have to engraving keys, padlocks, etc. (the machine fascinated me so I decided to learn more, so I want to build a machine, and to me the electronics seems like the more difficult part, so I decided to start there).

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

(Hopefully I posted this in the proper forum. If not please accept my apologies)

Attached are pictures of my setup so far:

osphoto
02-25-2012, 09:26 PM
Have you tested your motor on all the axis drives to verify that it's just not the one driver you are having issues with?

The "movement" you are getting on power up is the motor getting power, ie, charging up.

Can you move the shaft of the motor while it's sitting idle with power? If not, it's getting power. If you can, well, it's not getting any power.

Are there any lights on the controller indicating it's getting any signals?

rapidlock
02-25-2012, 10:08 PM
I connected the Y axis to a second motor, and it's not working either.

I can move the shaft manually when everything is powered up (and it's cool to the touch).

I am getting power lights on the controller and all three drivers, and I'm getting a flashing green status light on the controller.

ger21
02-25-2012, 10:55 PM
Sounds like you may not have set the VREF on the drives, so they aren't getting any current.

Also, the kit you linked to is not what you have. You have the unipolar drives, not the bipolar Sidestep drives.

rapidlock
02-26-2012, 06:14 PM
That's the kit I ordered, but for some reason it came with the Unipolar drives (I assumed it had something to do with me upgrading for the USB controller).

The VREF was/is set for .29V