PDA

View Full Version : An UPS Isn't A Cure All

Bob La Londe
02-21-2012, 02:05 PM
I recently swapped the Bosch Colt on my Taig for a Porter Cable Router for high speed machining.

It seemed to work just fine on the relay I use for switching spindle and coolant so I didn't worry about it. I have noticed though that sometimes the spindle sounded like it bogged for a fraction of a second under a cut that should not have bogged the spindle.

It was all plugged into a UPS because I have had a power failure crash a part before.

Yesterday the UPS tripped off in the middle of a part.

I switched the router and coolant to wall power, and I have noticed I no longer have the momentary bog down sounds. I think the UPS has been ont he edge of switching off under the load since I installed the newer bigger router. Oops.

I guess I need to add a second UPS just for the spindle.

bobsch
02-21-2012, 07:31 PM
UPS units, like everything else, come in various qualities. I'd suggest buying a larger unit than you think you'll need. Motors are hard on UPS equipment, due in part to the inductive load and current surges.

Bob La Londe
02-21-2012, 08:41 PM
UPS units, like everything else, come in various qualities. I'd suggest buying a larger unit than you think you'll need. Motors are hard on UPS equipment, due in part to the inductive load and current surges.

Yeah, I just ran a 7 hour job, and I was in the shop most of the time. The motor never ran better. I guess a second UPS / conditioner or a bigger one or both. This sort of thing really concerns me when I get the big mill going.

(Yeah I ran a 7 hour job on a Taig. I have run jobs over 30 on it. Its a realtively sloppy machine with a high wear rate on the lead nuts, but if you plan for it you can do a lot with it. Its still better than either of my Chinese import mills. Someday I might upgrade it to better leads and nuts, but I plan to build other machines first.)