PDA

View Full Version : Small improvements to my Mikini.

slowtwitch
02-18-2012, 06:59 PM
It's been awfully quiet on these forums, so I figured I would post a video of some of the changes I made to my Mikini. I have been making a bunch of scrap, in my quest to learn this cnc stuff. The mill has been running, but, I'm still afraid of really pushing it.

I upgraded the computer .....again. Mostly for aesthetic reasons and the fact that I found the new computer on ebay for only $30.00...case and motherboard. When the package arrived, I was thrilled to see it was brand new, never used. I popped in a Intel dual core and some ram, loaded Xp and Mach3 and the Shuttle booted right up :)

As I have mentioned before, I also installed a Smoothstepper motion control. I mounted it in the case of the PC. I'm really impressed by how nice the steppers run. I made a new jig for my linkage system and I couldn't be happier with how nicely the mill ran.

Anyway, here's the video. Some of the stuff you may have seen before, but, i just wanted to find an excuse to use my camera...lol

Some improvements to my Mikini - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7nxYC6wkoQ&feature=youtu.be)

SWATH
02-18-2012, 08:07 PM
Nice! What's the captive drawbar? I'm working on installing an exhaust system so it can vent out the air within the enclosure to the outside. The wife goes ape**** when I machine because it makes the whole house smell like way oil. I'm using a bathroom exhaust vent, some tupperware, and some dryer vent.

slowtwitch
02-19-2012, 09:17 AM
Nice! What's the captive drawbar?

Well that's what I'm calling it...lol. I don't know if i have an original Mikini draw bar. but, I have to tap out the R8 collets when it comes to a tool change. In the following picture, you will see that i don't have the Mikini cover in place for the drawbar.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f109/slowtwitch/PA290002.jpg

If the cover was in place, the nut of the drawbar would be covered. I want to extend the hex portion of the drawbar, so it fits through the Mikini cover. I will also machine the new drawbar so that it would push against this cover and basically push the R8 collets out...instead of tapping them out with a hammer.