PDA

View Full Version : RFQ-3-5 pieces, small heatsink for a PC

MrBean_pm
01-25-2012, 04:34 AM
Hello Guys,
Busy developing a process-control node that can be used in industrial environment, based on a Nexcon EBC-500 motherboard.

I have designed a small passive-cooled heatsink, which will bolt to a case with sufficient cooling capabilities.

The heatsink is to be from aluminium, and I would reckon a 1/4mm (0.01") finish should be good enough. I don't care who provides a quotation, USA, EU or APAC based, I will pay for the shipping...I would like single qty pricing as well as quantities of 5 - this is for private use for now, but I may be after huge volume should this prove be sucessfull.

Another thing, I cannot afford 100's of $$ for a single unit, if this is the case, I would have to make another plan.

Herewith a very accurate dxf/dwg AutoCAD file.

Appreciate your quick response.

txcncman
01-25-2012, 08:09 AM
Depending on your location, shipping might be $100 or more.

MrBean_pm
01-25-2012, 08:44 AM
Hey Mate,
Thanx for the feedback.

I do a lot of international shipping, and have used USPS to ship similar items to Melbourne/Australia before - typically $25-$40 USD for something of this weight and volume...and then I'm sure it was Express post.

So it should be ok. Appreciate the heads-up though :)

txcncman
01-25-2012, 09:36 AM
Well, I could not open your files in MasterCam or GibbsCam. You use the word 'extrusion' in the files names. Is this heatsink made from a standard extrusion? If so, what is the spec on the extrusion and who supplies it? Judging from the photos, this looks like easily over 1 hour (4 setups) of machining time, plus material cost.

MrBean_pm
01-25-2012, 09:45 AM
Hello,
Files are standard autocad dxf and dwg format - version is AutoCad 2010 - but I can export as other versions of AutoCAD too.

'Extrusion' in this instance means it is extruded in AutoCAD - it is a command 2 create a 3d block from a 2d surface - apologies if the info is redundant.

Something like T6061 would work well for this application, it is plentiful and relatively inexpensive.

What format files are your software expecting?

Rough estimate of pricing? Won't hold you to it :) Just so I have an idea what I am looking at....the alumimium would be approximately 120mm x 60mm x 25mm

Excelmachine
01-25-2012, 02:32 PM
Not interested in quoting but the reason why he asked about extrusion is because most heat sinks of this nature are made from extrusions. It eliminates having to machine all of those small gaps between the fins thus lowering the cost of manufacturing. If these are going to be made in the future in any sort of mass production at a low cost, an extrusion will be required. The old school way of making things like this would be to have a supported arbor with a bunch of slitting saws spaced to the required width and then pushing the aluminum thru the cutters, but this sort of equipment is hard to find now a days strangely enough.

MrBean_pm
01-25-2012, 06:34 PM
@ Excelmachine: Yeah Mate, idea is that I will go for extrusions once I decide to produce this - will be a fair bit cheaper.

Appreciate your feedback.

Anyway, please find attached an AutoCAD 14 dxf file, it should be more compatible with your softwares :)

txcncman
01-25-2012, 10:23 PM
Attached is what your DXF file looked like when opened in MasterCam X3. No Z data.

MrBean_pm
01-25-2012, 10:53 PM
Ok, it seems your program is only importing layer0 of autocad.....

I have deleted the 2d on layer0, and pasted the 3d extrusion there - can you try import and see if it works?

Here is the modified file.....

txcncman
01-26-2012, 03:12 AM
I did screen shots of the layer information imported from each file (attached).

In the previous file, no Z data. I this last file, nothing visible at all, even though the layer information shows 2 entities.

MrBean_pm
01-26-2012, 03:47 AM
Yep, some incompatibility with AutoCAD then it seems.

I will investigate over the next few days, and see what I can come up with. What other formats would your CAM softwrae accept?

MrBean_pm
01-26-2012, 04:22 PM
G'day Guys,
I have awarded this job to a Company in the USA, appreciate you looking, and your interest.

There will be more small jobs upcoming, which I will post in due course.

Have a good one, and appreciate all your interest :)

Kind regards,
Phillip aka mrbean