PDA

View Full Version : My first job using Wecim

Hworks
01-08-2012, 02:46 PM
Recently I got going on a new machine attachment for the company I work for. I used a combination of Cutting Shop and Turbocad for my design and with much help from Gary @ Wecim I pulled it off !!
Material is 1" hardox , #2 propane tip. Pic #6 shows a nice cut requiring very little cleanup and the last one with the hammer holding the gusset shows how impressed i was with the fit and finish, got lucky i think! Set my kerf in wecim at .100 :)
About 12 yrs ago I built a similar unit out of 2" A36 plate and cut it by hand using a #4 tip. The difference ... about 10 days and many grinding wheels.

WSS
01-08-2012, 11:51 PM
It's scary putting a torch to a $1800 piece of steel eh? Looks great. Is it 400 or 500 (I could not see the stencil)? Nice work for your first try w/we-cim. Did you mean first try ever w/we-cim or just the oxy first try? Looks like he showed you that magic tool "transform/bump".

There is a company out of NJ that sells AR with really good specs for decent prices if you do a bunch of AR, Stultz. They also do lots of Manganese.

Did you use a GPN-2? Victor has lots of choices for lp cutting, ask your LWS to bring the Victor rep out, he usually has all the cool tips for you to try. I have switched to the MTH-n tips for the speed now that I have the hi/lo system, but you can pick up PH time with HPN tips too.

Did you line bore fit the bushings? Very impressive work!

WSS

Hworks
01-09-2012, 09:39 PM
Thanks WSS,
material is hardox 450 and there were 2 firsts, my first nest and first oxy job on the table. Before i had only done simple arrays using plasmamate or DT. Now i try to do everything on wecim to learn or remember as mush as possible, i find it hard to retain info and sequences if i dont do something over many times.
We have a lot of regular maintenance to our equipment and trucks (PM work) that keeps me away from the table, but I have to cut and install a new cutting edge this week.
We have Victor torches and GPN-2 tips, LWS rep is supposed to be coming this month to talk about manifold options for oxy and to educate me on my welding options, I currently use 7018 stick for all heavy work but we have a nice 3ph Miller 300 wirefeed i would like to utilize more.
No line boring, just machine the bosses from 6" DOM tube and leave a square shoulder so each one sits through the hole in the plate but also rests on the plate, makes for easy welding.
Andy.

gwittlock
01-12-2012, 11:46 PM
Hworks

I am glad you are getting in to WE-CIM more and more. Don't hesitate to call if you need more help, that is what we are here for.

Gary

RAW
01-13-2012, 09:58 PM
So tell me more about the hinges of the grapple.
This is the stuff I feel like you can't learn anywhere.

Hworks
01-17-2012, 10:06 PM
Raw,
Thanks for the interest, i will complete the project and post more pics and details.