PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Mikini Pricing, ordering and 1610L specifications

MIKINI MECH
01-06-2012, 06:01 PM
2012 Pricing, Ordering process and -L specifications for reference.

MIKINI MECHATRONICS CNC MACHINING CENTERS - WWW.MIKINIMECH.COM (http://www.mikinimech.com)

Mikini Mechatronics, LLC

allenj20
01-15-2012, 11:57 PM
So is this DC Servo a new Spindle motor with an encoder? Or are you calling the BLDC without an encoder a servo?

I ask because a servo motor means something pretty specific I.E. a motor with accurate positioning capability and feedback. And in industrial terms usually refers to an AC or DC motor with encoder feedback

MIKINI MECH
01-16-2012, 11:05 AM
Great question.

Our standard spindle drives are BLDC Servo drives.

There are non-servo BLDC drives as well (also referred to as sensor-less), but we have never utilized this technology due to issues with dynamic load response which makes it non-applicable for a machine drive in this application.

You are correct in your assumption that "servo" has a specific definition, which, in plain language refers to control of a system using feedback. This is also sometimes referred to as "closed-loop" control. There are a huge number of good papers on the topic if you spend some time on researching the definition of servo.

You are also correct that a servo drive can utilize any drive technology that allows modulation of input (variable power input) and detection of result/response (monitored output), including AC, DC, hydraulic, pneumatic, etc, and nearly any variation within the systems. It can also be applied to rotary or linear applications. For reference, note that cruise control on a vehicle is an application of servo technology.

Although all drive technologies we're referring to here could be servo driven, the reverse is not true, some cannot be operated totally open loop. This is the case with a brush-less technology. Since there's no physical connection inside the motor, the drive needs to know when and where to apply power, or it can't operate. This has to be done by sensor (servo) or "guessing" (sensor-less). The "guessing" is what leads to poor performance referenced above for non servo BLDC drives that we don't use.

You'll note that our standard spindle motors have 2 cables - one for power, the other for feedback. Our V2 drives also readout spindle position via a set of LED's on the drive itself. We utilize Nema 48 BLDC servo driven motors that are custom wound for the application.

This is also what allows our standard systems to achieve accurate RPM under load, which an "open-loop" drive cannot (such as our high speed system). We have published load response graphs that document this effect.

Hope that helps, feel free to be in touch if you have any other questions.

Mikini Mechatronics, LLC

So is this DC Servo a new Spindle motor with an encoder? Or are you calling the BLDC without an encoder a servo?

I ask because a servo motor means something pretty specific I.E. a motor with accurate positioning capability and feedback. And in industrial terms usually refers to an AC or DC motor with encoder feedback