PDA

View Full Version : If I purchase the Zen Toolworks CNC DIY KIT 12x12...

RobertBasil
01-05-2012, 01:31 PM
If I purchase the Zen Toolworks CNC 12x12 Complete Package, what else (besides the laptop) would I need to purchase to have a complete working system? I am a complete noob, but really like the price of the kit and have seen great reviews. Help me get started and tell me what else I would need.

(Sorry, I placed the wrong model in the subject line).

Thanks!

CDAlexander
01-06-2012, 01:04 AM
The complete kit is the complete package you need to get up and running.

There is an assumption that you have a working computer that has a LPT port that supports a DB25 cable; generally thought of as the "printer port" until USB started to become the new standard.

After that - time, patience and dedication. There is a learning curve in CNC, but most of it is inside the control software you choose. Mach3 is the most well-known for a Windows machine, but it costs $$ if you want to carve anything that requires more than 500 lines of GCode (cnc communication).

scott diego
01-20-2012, 04:01 AM
I started from scratch too. Ordered the 12 x 12 kit. Put it together. Bam, hooked on CNC.

osphoto
01-20-2012, 11:14 AM
Does the package include software CAD and CAM?

scott diego
01-20-2012, 11:28 PM
The 12x12 package I purchased includes a full Mach 3 license.

I have been using the free/trial version of CamBam and it has worked great so far. I will have to purchase it soon though as I am slowly running out of free 'program boots'...

jm82792
01-22-2012, 05:10 PM
EMC2 is great and free, Blender is decent for basic CAD(ish as it's not cad orientated but works) software that I absolutely love.... I've used it for years, and finally Meshcam seems to be great although it is $175. I've tried other CAM programs but Meshcam seems to be nice, although I could eventually see that I'd like more advanced features..