PDA

View Full Version : Which motors do I need?

Juancar
10-26-2005, 10:23 AM
Hi there!
I´m planning to build a CNC foam cutter similate to the one you can see at http://www.8linx.com/cnc/cnc.htm

I´m not sure of the torque I need, how much oz-in must have the motors??

Thanks!

cncadmin
10-26-2005, 10:53 AM
Not much in terms of torque 50-100oz would be fine.

Juancar
10-26-2005, 12:42 PM
Thanks for this fast answer ;-)
Another question: Sometimes I see motors at ebay but the seller doesn´t indicate the torque, can I estimate it by the volts, amperes and ohms??

Thanks.

GAWnCA
11-02-2005, 08:36 PM
OK, I've seen the foam cutter from 8Link as well and would like to build one that will cut up to an 10" x 20" x 96" block of foam. I would like to know where to get the parts, motors, controller, power supplies for both the controller and the cutting wire. I know that all teh motors have to drive is the cutting wire so I guess whatever was used on that system would be fine. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

HobbyCNC
11-02-2005, 09:17 PM
OK, I've seen the foam cutter from 8Link as well and would like to build one that will cut up to an 10" x 20" x 96" block of foam. I would like to know where to get the parts, motors, controller, power supplies for both the controller and the cutting wire. I know that all teh motors have to drive is the cutting wire so I guess whatever was used on that system would be fine. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

http://www.hobbycnc.com/foam/4aupcwhcpkg/4aupcwhcpkg.htm

Dave Rigotti
HobbyCNC.com

GAWnCA
11-03-2005, 12:48 AM
So Dave, which system do you suggest?

HobbyCNC
11-03-2005, 05:16 AM
So Dave, which system do you suggest?
Use the 84oz for hobby type machines, the 127oz for larger heavier machines.

Dave Rigotti
HobbyCNC.com

GAWnCA
11-07-2005, 08:54 AM
Thanks again Dave.

KPDamen
11-07-2005, 11:32 AM
Hi, I saw that the question was already answered.. Anyway for a foamcutter light stepper motors will work just fine. In the order of 0.5nm which is equal to 70.8 oz/in. I have built several machines with these type of motors. They work great. Are actually pretty quick as well. Had to slow the cutting down in order to get a nice cut in the foam. The wire starts to drag when youre going to fast...
Greetings, Kevin

www.damencnc.nl (The users gallery might give you some ideas, also a video of engraving is available)

GAWnCA
11-07-2005, 01:40 PM
Kevin,

Thanks for your reply and the URL. I am finding some valuabel information on your web site. I just need to get my old brain working. May I call up on you for instructions, should the need arrise?

Greg