PDA

View Full Version : Tool life-Baltic Birch and Maple

rgranger
12-11-2011, 11:50 AM
What would the tool life difference be for Baltic Birch and maple? Both thin material-1/8" to 1/4".

The bit I just purchased is from Precise Bits, it is a 1/16" dia. 2 flute up cut for 1/8" collet. I plan on also trying a down cut, though I don't think it will mater as I am using both sides of the wood when finished.

I want to do a small production run, thus I am interested in knowing if there would be a difference in using the BB ply or Maple.

Thanks in advance.

ThomasWayne
12-12-2011, 10:08 AM
If you care about the edge finish on both top & bottom you may want to consider using a "compression" bit, which is both up-cut & down-cut. I dont think PreciseBit makes them, but I would advise calling Ron to be sure.

Also, I have had VERY good results ordering PreciseBit products through Jeff Birt (Soigeneris - 573-647-9294). His prices are as good (or better) as going direct to PreciseBit, and his service is flawless.

TW

TDA
12-12-2011, 06:22 PM
In our tests the tool life difference is up to 20%. However, you may have more of a issue with the quality of of the ply and/or the glue. As an example we had some very expensive ply made for the steel rule die industry. It's glue was so bad on cutters that it had visibly cut a notch in our tools after a few thousand inches.

As far as cut quality you should get a better cut with a upcut tool. If you are running the proper feeds and speeds you should have a clean cut on both sides.

Let me know if there is anything I can help with.