View Full Version : 24 x 36 with DMM Tech servos

janekc
11-21-2011, 08:39 PM
:idea::idea::idea::idea::idea::idea:Getting the electronics set up
will post more pics

amasters
11-21-2011, 10:33 PM
Janekc,

Glad to see a new thread for a new machine.

I'm interested to see how this goes. Especially with servos too.

I'm talking with George right now on a Raptor32 that I plan to outfit with some servos and Gecko controllers. I'm planning to use a 400 oz/in servo from MCG http://www.msitec.com/vendors/MCG/PDF/ID23005.pdf and a the Gecko controller assembled by Dan Mauch at Camtronics.

Please post a lot and w/ lots of pics. I know I can't get enough and manytimes there is a new method or tweek that you see that was not thought of before.

Good luck with your build.

janekc
12-05-2011, 10:03 PM
almost done wiring everything up
connectors done

janekc
12-05-2011, 10:08 PM
:cheers:
almost done wiring everything up
connectors done pictures

janekc
12-05-2011, 10:10 PM
soon a video

slowlearner
12-05-2011, 10:57 PM
Looking forward to the video.

azam1959
12-06-2011, 12:46 AM
Janekc,

I guess you are using dmm three servo kit. How difficult was it to put all of it together? Did you also put the fan in the cabinet? What tools do you need to put the electronics together? From where can you buy the cabinet? I did talk to dmm folks and they do not sell the enclosure.

How did you attach the breakout board to the cabinet wall? Do wires connect to the breakout board via plug? If yes, do wires come with the plug already attached? Do you have to make a hole in the cabinet for EStop or EStop simply goes on top of cabinet? And power supply ... I see that kit comes with two power supply, do you know why? Do power supply goes inside the cabinet?

Beside computer with Mach3 and dmm kit, do you need anything else from electronics side? and yes I will also get inverer.

As you can see I am not only green but also scared :-) I hope George will just send me a control box but I know I am dreaming.

Please do post lot of pictures.

Big Thanks

iknowyoudo
12-06-2011, 01:06 AM
azam1959,

When you buy the kit from DMM it has all wiring, limit switches, and E-Stop. You would have to put a hole in the cabinet for your E-Stop unless it already has the right size hole in it.

Eric

azam1959
12-06-2011, 01:12 AM
Eric,

Thanks. From where can somebody buy the enclosure? I guess enclosures/cabinets do come in different sizes .... which size do I need? Do cabinets come with fan installed? Do I need to solder (sp ?) the wires (I hope not, have not done this since late 70s).

Wish I have not thrown out all the old desktops.

Cheers

janekc
12-06-2011, 05:52 PM
First
I have the DMM 3 Axis high torque Servos
Break out board (BOB)
And drivers
The People at DMM are very helpful they have a Thread of there own on CNCZone you can can start there with set up with Mach3
i did and received a lot of help.

Cabinet
i looked around on the internet and decided on a pc tower box
without the power supply hole making drill and hole saw
Purchased Antec 300
note the power supply i have is a ANTEK (2 different ante s)purchased from Amazon
56 volt 20Amp app.purchased from Antek
BOB is 60 VDC MAX
Hope this helps

Connectors
Spent a lot of time choosing
this is what i went with, there is a lot out there everybody sets up a little different

Amphenol M23B connectors purchased from Newark
Anderson powerpoles purchased from powerwerx
Cable (wire) and Cable chain from Igus real nice people there no min. buy what you need.
My way of thinking is modular this way things can be connected and disconnected if need be. All components are separate but connected
Bought some Aluminum U channel from amazon so the cable chain can ride in.
All other electrical wire from my local guy

now how are you suppose to grease these fittings and cap them off? George
LOL
First i would think you would grease these bearings all ready installed on the machine
these angle fittings won't go on
you have to buy 6mm x 1 straight zero fitting and a 6mm x 1 cap

Good luck
lets keep Making and BUilding Things
Great Links
cnccookbook
victornet (machinist Stuff)

regards
jan
will post more:drowning:

azam1959
12-06-2011, 07:08 PM
Jan,
Thank you. I will look at DDM thread.
I also got an email from DDM and they pointed to Enclosures Overview (http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Overview/Catalog/Enclosures) too many choices, guess I need to do some reading.
You emphasized on a the power supply and I did not quite understand the importance of specific volt, amp etc., I think I will make my life simple get the kit and I hope servos, power supply and wires will work (I hope). Seems little strange that DDM kit wires will not come with connector. I am sure I will learn from DDM thread.
Connector you mentioned is used to connect wires to breakout board?
Thanks again, seems do able.

rowbare
12-07-2011, 10:41 AM
I don't know if these are high enough for the power supply but the price is right: CNC4PC (http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/index.php?cPath=58&osCsid=f5653692cef97ebc765a78f74ff76608)

bob

azam1959
12-07-2011, 11:06 AM
Enclosure seems to be specifically designed for a kit from cnc4pc (I may be wrong here). I will jump on customized DMM kit enclosure if I find one. Now I can always change the kit for the enclosure :-) Actually George has already made the motor mount and experiments of DimenX with DMM kit looks pretty good. I will call DMM in few minutes and find out first hand how good their customer service is.
thanks

I don't know if these are high enough for the power supply but the price is right: CNC4PC (http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/index.php?cPath=58&osCsid=f5653692cef97ebc765a78f74ff76608)

bob

LazyMan
01-16-2012, 09:48 AM
Is the 24x36 the travel of the machine?

janekc
01-16-2012, 03:26 PM
travel 20 x 30 app.

will be in the shop to measure this week

jan

ihavenofish
01-18-2012, 10:48 PM
travel 20 x 30 app.

will be in the shop to measure this week

jan

19x28 should be the safe travel. you want to leave a little on the ends for clearance of dust build up or miss calculated positioning and whatnot. :)

AussieMatt
08-09-2014, 10:49 PM
did you need to solder those Amphenol M23B connectors?
I have decided not to do any more soldering if possible... (crimps are my favourite friend now)