PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with CNC Mill

Rotary Ninja
11-02-2011, 10:25 PM
I was told this website would have the answers I need but I have no idea where to post this thread. So if it is in the wrong forum please move it to the appropriate one.

My mill is not a home built, but I am afraid I may have to salvage the parts from it and make it one since it came with no control software. I have no information on the machine other than the name - "intelos" or "ntelos" CNC mill, and the company website that distributed it - Midwest Technology Products and Services out of Sioux City, Iowa. They don't have anything about this mill on their website that I can find. There is a phone number on the mill that matches the one on their site that I called numerous times with only a recorded answering machine. I left a message with no response. I have sent an email and am waiting a response.

This mill is 3 axis, and has a Parallel port on the side of the cabinet. I paid $90 for it so I couldn't pass it up. Plus it looks like new inside and out. I've always wanted my own CNC mill of this size so if anyone could help me out I would be forever grateful. I have a ton of questions but I don't know where to ask them. Please help!

Thanks,
Kevin

Paulette
11-02-2011, 11:10 PM
What is wrong with your machine?Can you send some image here?so that we can solve it clearly

Rotary Ninja
11-03-2011, 02:39 PM
Nothing is wrong with the machine (as far as I know). I basically have a cabinet with the servos and I assume a controller card in it. But I have no software for it and am not sure what I should use. I assume I just need CNC software like Mach 3 or something to control the machine? Will aftermarket software be compatibile with any machine?

Rotary Ninja
11-03-2011, 05:55 PM
Ok, I finally got the machine inside where I can get a better look at it. It has stepper motors on all three axis, and a spindle driven by a cog belt running to a motor mounted on the outside of the spindle. It has machined ways, and seems to be a pretty stout little machine.

Inside the cabinet was a Serial to Parallel port cable just laying in there. I am not sure if this was used to connect the machine to a PC or if it was just thrown in by someone thinking it went to the machine. I really don't see how that would work, but I am new to this.

I have no idea about the electronics of this machine. But I have a brother who is an electronics whiz. I will update with some photos here as soon as I can... BRB =)

Rotary Ninja
11-03-2011, 06:16 PM
Here are the pics...

CNC Mill pictures by 2FastLX - Photobucket (http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/2FastLX/CNC%20Mill/)

It looks very well built inside. I see there are only 5 wires hooked up to the parallel port. so maybe it did use the parallel to serial cable. I assumed there would be more wires that that?

So, is there hope for me getting this thing operational as long as everything still works?

Rotary Ninja
11-03-2011, 10:43 PM
With further research it appears I have a Denford Micromill.
Denford Micromill 2000, Denford Microlathe (http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,9947.0.html)

jalessi
11-03-2011, 10:59 PM
2FastLX,

There is a support forum for your mill, see attached link.

Denford Software & Machines • Index page (http://www.denfordata.com/bb/index.php)

Jeff...

Rotary Ninja
11-04-2011, 05:40 AM
Yeah, I found that last night. I am wondering now if I should just buy the software from them. It's like $650. Even though it would probably be cheaper just to convert the boards and use Mach3 I don't have a clue how to do that. Electronics just isn't my thing =(