PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs help

CbrViking
11-02-2011, 02:47 PM
I am trying to create a cut of just one portion of a guitar body. I want to cut the bevel shown in the pic. I select it, select a cutter, and tell it to rough it in. It generates cuts over the whole body. How can I create a 'no cut zone'?

CbrViking
11-02-2011, 05:51 PM
I tried creating a 'Region Curve' around the cut, but that didn't work either. Can someone help?

Rodent
11-02-2011, 08:14 PM
here's a few Q's for you to aid in remote help with your model

- what version of MadCAM and Rhino are you running?

- is you solid closed a volume?

- is your region curve boundary a single closed curve?

- as a test ... if you do just the planar finishing pass with a .06" step over on a single closed curve region boundary, are you able to get a similar kind of tool path generated for your region boundary?

short of testing on your model (which should be something worked via customer support), I'm not sure where else to point you except to verify that your were able to successfully perform this task utilizing one of the training models.

all the best,

R

CbrViking
11-02-2011, 09:19 PM
here's a few Q's for you to aid in remote help with your model

- what version of MadCAM and Rhino are you running? 4.0 with the latest service update for Rhino, and whatever the latest version of MadCAM is - I just downloaded it days ago.

- is you solid closed a volume? I'm pretty sure it is

- is your region curve boundary a single closed curve? Yes - I joined a few curves to create one warped curve.

- as a test ... if you do just the planar finishing pass with a .06" step over on a single closed curve region boundary, are you able to get a similar kind of tool path generated for your region boundary? I will try it tomorrow.

short of testing on your model (which should be something worked via customer support), I'm not sure where else to point you except to verify that your were able to successfully perform this task utilizing one of the training models.

all the best,

R

See my answers above. I think I will try something easier as a test tomorrow. Thanks!

svenakela
11-03-2011, 04:26 AM
See my answers above. I think I will try something easier as a test tomorrow. Thanks!

Ok, about your screenshot (first post).
First of all, what I see is a single surface and not a solid. It's not a problem to work with surfaces only when doing the CAM preparation. But your model isn't a solid.

Secondly, if you double click on the view name in the upper left corner (in this case "perspective"), that particular view will extend over the viewport. Double click once again and you will go back to normal.
If you go through the zoom/focus icons in the toolbar you'll also see that you have a lot of supportive features that help you with the views and the icons also do different things depending on left or right click.

Roughing or planar doesn't matter, the region curves works anyway. You could send me the model and I could give it a try tonight. For me it's just after breakfast at the moment so you'll have to wait a bit... :)

Rodent
11-05-2011, 01:06 PM
you get this figured out CbrViking?

one other thought (and something I haven't yet tested, but will sometime this week) - I'm unsure if MadCAM supports a donut type of curve region boundary. if you bevel has an outer and inner closed curve definition, I'm not sure at the moment how this will behave.

can you confirm whether or not you have a dual curve (outer and inner donut) type of definition for your curve region definition?

it could be totally supported, or it may be opportunity for an upcoming enhancement. like I noted, I'll give this scenario a try out sometime in the coming week and post back

all the best,

R

svenakela
11-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Donut? You mean like this?
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-YwqQfk8Oc5o/TrWbGSuAnkI/AAAAAAAABNE/B6trtnhqv3s/s912/donut.png

Rodent
11-05-2011, 09:49 PM
exactly - thanks for saving me the time testing to see if this scenario is possible! :cheers:

knowing this scenario works, I now have several new options available for detailing inlays :)

I'd have been quicker to get there myself, but I'm working a 34" scale -> 35" scale design conversion on a commissioned 5-string bass. I'm about ready to cut the first proofing body out of Poplar, and if all goes well I'll move forward to the $$$$ Redwood burl and flame Maple. Needless to say, I'm a little focused at the moment ...

all the best,

R

svenakela
11-06-2011, 07:55 AM
Making regions in MadCam - YouTube (http://youtu.be/oSvxypnmbig)