PDA

View Full Version : Setting up my steppers, pics inside.

Darc
10-11-2005, 11:55 PM
Hi guys, Just need a bit of help setting up my steppers on a router I purchased.
As you'll see from the pics, the machine is pre-wired (although the home switches were wired incorrectly)
I've attached a screen shot from Mach2 showing the settings (step/direction)
Also you'll see the pic of the 3 drives they all have a white wire coming from 2.CP- and a black wire from 4.CW-.
Also they all connect 1.CP+ to 3.CW+ and then the drives run in series across these terminals.
I've set them as the white=step, black=direction and visa versa, but still no movement.
Is the yellow wire meant to be sending a signal to the PC or is it recieving a signal from the PC?

I just noticed the white wire on the far left doesn't go to anything; this one is connected to the same terminal as the yellow wires.....I don't know if this is of any significance, the other end of the yellow wire goes to the parallel connection for the PC, I'm starting to think the white wire is meant to go to a power supply (e.g 5v) but I think I'll wait to hear from you guys before I blow it up.

pminmo
10-12-2005, 04:55 PM
With the labels of CP+ and CP- and CW+ and CW- I have a tendenancy to believe they are setup to be driven differentially for noise immunity. Just guessing the CP is step and CW is direction. ANy more information on the motor drivers?

Darc
10-12-2005, 05:19 PM
No they didn't give me any documents, I'll have a look online and see what I can find.

Darc
10-12-2005, 06:32 PM
I've also just noticed that the proximity switches that are for homing the machine output a signal of 36v, will I need to use relays to drop this signal down to 5v?

pminmo
10-12-2005, 08:24 PM
just wire the prox switches based on a 5v power supply. A wall wart will do.

Darc
10-15-2005, 01:33 AM
Yeah I finally worked it out, I needed a 5v power supply for the prox swithces (thanks pminmo) and I also needed 5v for the wires that connects all the drives.