PDA

View Full Version : CNC Retrofit for Sieg X2... KDN Tool?

Zippi
10-08-2005, 07:10 PM
Hi Folks,

I've been debating on whether to build a light-duty router with a larger workable area than my mill, or just converting my Homier-flavor X2 mill... I'm leaning towards converting the mill...

I have already ordered 3 640 oz/in steppers from www.homeshopcnc.com, as well as 3 G201's. I realize the steppers may be a bit much for X and Y, but I'll probably migrate them to some other machine down the road.

I came across www.kdntool.com , and thought, "Well, now- there's an easy way out!"- someone else has already done the homework, tested different methods, and has come up with a set of solutions packaged as a singular product. Easy enough!

Has anyone here converted with KDN's parts? Thoughts, opinions?

Thanks!
Paul

phantomcow2
10-08-2005, 08:25 PM
people seem to be happy with KDN conversions. I have a HF micro mill myself, but looking at their website I would say the quality is top notch.

Zippi
10-11-2005, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the reply!

I spoke with Ken today, I'm on my way!!! WOOOOHOOOOO!!!!!! :D

Thanks,
Paul

Zippi
11-08-2005, 04:24 AM
I received my "Advanced Retrofit Kit" from KDN Tool yesterday. I'm waiting on a belt driven spindle conversion kit, as my Z axis will be direct drive (typically offset with a belt to fit with the spindle motor, the belt kit will give me more RPM's AND offset the spindle motor).

It's going to be an easy install, the parts are preassembled, it doesn't get much easier than this! ;)

A breakdown of the machine:

* Homier Speedway Series Mini Mill (Sieg X2, GOT IT!)
* KDN Advanced Retrofit Kit, preloaded ball nuts, NEMA 34 mounts (GOT IT!)
* Belt Driven Spindle Mod Kit (PENDING!)
* 3 x Geckodrive G201's (GOT 'EM!)
* Lucent 48V 15A Power Supply (ON THE WAY!)
* OLD Roomy Server Box (GOT IT!)
* 3 x 640 oz/in NEMA 34 Steppers (GOT 'EM!)
* IGUS E-Chain (GOT LOTS!)
* LARGE Heatsink for G201's (GOT IT!)
* 200 Mhz dedicated PC running TurboCNC (GOT IT!)
* Limit Switches, wire, fans, connectors, etc (GOT IT!)

I should receive the power supply by Friday, Ebay < $50 shipped. It's got a "constant current" mode for overload, and some other cool features.

I've been thinking about way covers. The idea in my head is a "roll up" way cover using material from a roller blind, using a spring and fine cable (from an old plotter) on a spool. This would be to cover the Z-axis ballscrew. I think it might be overkill, maybe just go with KDN's recommendation of way covers from LittleMachineShop. Should I have any concern over the "underside" ballscrews?

I'm thinking about an automatic tool changer... Hmmm

Thanks,
Paul

Zippi
12-12-2005, 08:57 PM
Hey Folks,

I have my KDN Tool - retrofitted mill up and running. Ken's kit is super easy to install. The underside of my table required milling to fit, but that was the only snag.

I also have the KDN Tool version of Ron Steele's belt driven spindle mod installed.

I just got it up and running, but I've got it doing 240 IPM on X!!! I don't know about more speed, I haven't fiddled with the ramp-up much, other than to know that it's OK at 10k steps / sec, but gets finicky at 15k steps / sec. I run out of travel quick! I can't stall it by hand, but I haven't put my body into it. ;)

I have a good bit of testing / tweaking to do, but so far, AWESOME!!!

Of course, little things to do, home / limit switches, etc.

WOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!! :D

Take Care,
Paul

Zippi
12-12-2005, 09:57 PM
Picture...

Zippi
12-14-2005, 08:34 PM
By the way... Just thought I should mention, Ken's workmanship is AWESOME, and Customer Service ROCKS!!!

If you want to get your Sieg X2 mill (Homier, Grizzly, Harbor Freight, etc) CNC'd, www.KDNTOOL.com is the easy way!!!

Sincerely, his tolerances are dead-on, he knows what he's doing. Period.

Take Care,
Paul

Deviant
12-15-2005, 02:32 PM
How much is your total investment in the x2?

Zippi
12-16-2005, 01:36 AM
Let's see...

Mill: $400 (www.homier.com)
Geckodrives: $350 shipped (www.geckodrive.com)
Motors: $350 shipped (www.homeshopcnc.com)
KDN Tool Advanced Conversion Kit: approx $1000 shipped (www.kdntool.com)
KDN Version Spindle Belt Drive Kit: $150 shipped (www.kdntool.com)
Power Supply: $50 shipped (Ebay)

Something over $2300...

I have misc electronics stuff and such that I don't readily have a price for, but you get the idea (heatsink, fan, hardware, wire, heatshrink, power switch, etc).

It's not "finished" yet, but it's working. Still need to add limit / home switches, case up the controller (it's on a panel at the moment, going into a server box), add some cable carriers, at least add a motor control relay if not a speed control for the spindle.

Playing around w/ some engraving, here's a picture in 1/4" red acrylic- hard stuff to photograph, but you get the idea...

KDN Tool
12-16-2005, 12:42 PM
Compared to the Sherline mills at $2450.00 with 135 oz motors, 24-28 volt power supply, and a whopping 22 IPM rapids!!!("actual feed rates... will be 6 IPM or slower")

fignoggle
01-19-2006, 03:27 AM
xylotex has a really good deal to get you started (controller, motors, p/s for under $350). my conversion uses the 3-axis controller with steppers. works fine. i may get more complicated with the x3, but that's another story..