PDA

View Full Version : First Cut

Jason Marsha
10-08-2005, 04:35 PM
Here are the results of my first cut with the demo.

CNCRob
10-09-2005, 07:08 AM
Your first cut looks great Jason, What kind of bit did you use?

Jason Marsha
10-09-2005, 08:15 AM
Thanks. I used a MLCS 90 degree V-groove bit 1" diameter for the lettering as well as the initial ellipse. The ellipse is then cut all the way through with a 1/4" whiteside upcut spiral bit.

The wood was stained with Ronseal Teak quick drying wood stain prior to cutting.

The demo (www.vectric.com) is super easy to use and produces quality results. The only limitation is that you are restricted to the various sample files that come with the demo.
Everyone that I have shown the sign to love it but the all expect "Closed" to be on the other side. When I get the full version of the software I will get that from the vectorart website. (www.vectorart.com)

Jason

ger21
10-09-2005, 09:26 AM
It's too bad that software is $500 . I think they'd sell a lot more for $150 or so. :)

CNCRob
10-09-2005, 09:52 AM
It's too bad that software is $500 . I think they'd sell a lot more for $150 or so. :)

I agree $500 is a little steep for the hobby user.

Jason Marsha
10-09-2005, 09:54 AM
I agree Gerry. The $500.00 tag is somewhat out of the reach of the average hobbiest and as my exchange rate is 2 to 1 to the US dollar, $1000.00 BDS is a little steep.
If it was $150.00 I would have bought it long ago.

Jason

jimini
10-09-2005, 10:37 AM
I agree with you on the cost,it is undoubtely worth it if you use it in business.
It would be nice if a person could buy a time limited version (I'm 74 lol).

BrianM
10-12-2005, 07:18 PM
Hi Jason,
Those are nice photo's, any chance you could post them on the VCarve Wizard forum at http://forum.vectric.com as well?

Version 2.0 of VCarve Wizard is now available for download which allows a much wider range of effects to be produced - see http://vectric.com/vcarve-download/WhatsNew/WhatsNew.htm for a brief summary of the new features and some images of the types of designs which can now be machined.

Brian

Jason Marsha
10-13-2005, 06:08 PM
Brian
I will post the pictures on your forum. I downloaded the new version. The new abilities produce great looking results. You got great reviews on the shopbot forum for you original software ,congrats. If everyone loved the open sign before they will just collapse when they see the new one done in Vcarve v2. I am assuming that the new version will allow me to save the cut path of the new Open sign with raised lettering. Don't worry I will have this software before christmas for sure.

Jason

BrianM
10-13-2005, 06:14 PM
Hi Jason,

Thanks for the kind words.

To answer your question, yes - you can cut the standard demo files using any of the new strategies in Version 2.0 and output the results to your machine. I look forward to seeing the photos!

Regards

Brian

Bob Hutchinson
10-15-2005, 09:26 PM
finally, i found a program that will do what i want and Im out of money. downloaded the vcarve prog yesterday and carved one of the samples today.......i love it.....so far....well next ss check....is comming soon......and you are right its a lot of money for us hobby folks........but it sure seem worth the cost

Jason Marsha
10-15-2005, 10:54 PM
Lets see some pics Bob, I should have some of mine posted this week after I get a chance to carve.

Jason

Jason Marsha
10-19-2005, 02:39 PM
Got some time today to cut the open sign with pocketing in version 2. The wood I used here was a bit gummy and had my bits coated in no time. Next time I will use a better piece of wood.
Overall the new open sign has a great look and gives the impression after finishing that a professional sign shop produced it.
Super software Brian, Tony and the Vectric team.

Jason

trevorhinze
10-19-2005, 04:37 PM
That looks pretty neat, I will have to download the demo and try it out on my mill.

Tony Mac
10-19-2005, 06:09 PM
Hi Jason,

Nice work and great to see the finished piece! Infact I believe you are the 1st person to have actually cut this version of the Open sign using V2.

What size did you cut the design and approximately how long did it take to cut?

Cheers,

Tony Mac

Jason Marsha
10-19-2005, 08:08 PM
I cut the original design with no changes in size. I did however edit the gcode of the pocketing process for one pocket level of 6.35mm (0.25"). In total the entire process was about 30 minutes at 1016mm/min (40" per min). I may have to slow it down a tad if I want to pocket one level at 6.35mm deep 1016mm/min as my bit is getting a little dull. If my new bits arrive this weekend I will test at this speed again.

Jason

Bob Hutchinson
10-19-2005, 08:44 PM
can soneome tell me how to make my pics small enough to email and post...right now they average 2 to 3 megs....i know ther is a way i just do not know what it is

thanks Grizzmo

trevorhinze
10-19-2005, 08:57 PM
I just got done watching all of the v carve video demos and I allready feel like I could run the program fairly well. It seems so simple to use. I downloaded one of the 3d illusions posted earlier in this thread and had it all set to cut out of a piece of aluminum on my mill, but I was very disappointed to find out that the demo version won't let me cut out this example. Oh well it does seem like a very nice program, and the videos are great.

Jason Marsha
10-19-2005, 09:05 PM
Bob,
I simply open the pictures in Microsoft Paint, then from the menu click Image, Stretch & Skew and I usually type in the STRETCH section: Horizontal 60 and Vertical 60. Save the file.
Jason

Bob Hutchinson
10-19-2005, 10:51 PM
Trevor, I just bought the program a couple of days ago.....believe me it is well worth the money if you are going to vcarving of signs.
i and looked at and bought a lot of stuff.....This one is a winner for me...I do all my design in corel....and so far it hasent skipped a beat......now i have to find an inexpensive way to do my partners photos.....like i promised her

Bob Hutchinson
10-19-2005, 10:53 PM
Jason I will try that thanks......

Grizzmo

Bob Hutchinson
10-19-2005, 11:18 PM
ok jason,
here are some photos some 2d and some 3d....i love this program well worth the money...and tony has been very helpfull. I hope it works this time. they were too big before i reduced them in corel to 15% they were 42 inches wide before. 7.2 megapixels

Bob Hutchinson
10-19-2005, 11:21 PM
i was planning to use the transfer paper my soninlaw uses for vinyl signs to carve through and then spray paint the color in the lettering.. any one have a better way......may have to use paint mask but it is so expensive. paint the sign....carve then spray the cut letters ....sounds like a plan

Jason Marsha
10-20-2005, 11:53 AM
Great looking signs Bob. We will look forward to lots of pictures now that you have the program. Is that your cnc machine by the Bullshead sign?

Jason

Bob Hutchinson
10-20-2005, 12:31 PM
yes it is a nextwaveautomation Shark.....the carving area is only 13 x 24 but i needed something i could take back and forth to florida....and to flea markets...to make a few bucks...I love it

Jason Marsha
10-20-2005, 01:05 PM
How log did the Bullshead carving take to do and what spindle (router) do you use? I find that my DeWalt 610 1.75 Hp loses too much RPM when using my 1" diameter router bit. Do the routers that claim constant RPM under load actually do that.

Jason

Bob Hutchinson
10-20-2005, 03:22 PM
Jason,
I thing it took about 8 or 9 minutes....I run only at about 20% which is slow.......Right now Im using a RotoZip....I had a 30000 rpm router but like you said it seemed to slow down on me. i run at 30000 rpm and get pretty smooth cuts...i am new at this and am cutting woods like maple, oak, pine, poplar....or what i can get. tried some plywood but did not care for the output.... a signmaker in albany told me he uses MDO which is a waterproof multi ply....finished both sides with no voids. I cant seem to find it here in Jersey.. Howdoyou paint in the letters on yours stuff do you use a mask or just paint when you are finished/

Bob (Grizzmo)

Jason Marsha
10-20-2005, 04:04 PM
Bob,
I am new to V-carving but I was thinking I would just paint in the carved out parts if I had to and then run the whole thing through a planer or drum sander to take of a 1/32 so as to have a clean surface. The problem comes when I would want to paint the high parts, how to avoid paint in the carved areas.

Jason

Bob Hutchinson
10-20-2005, 05:15 PM
jason, im going to try to mask with this transfer tape from my soninlaw........carve throught it and then paint the carved out stuff with the mask on......im going to finish the surface first before i put on the tape......I will let you know how it turns out.
do you by chance use msn messenger.......its great for one on one stuff and you can send pics instantly.....i use it all the time

Tony Mac
10-20-2005, 05:24 PM
Hi Bob,

Thanks for taking the time to post the photo's. It's Great to see your work and I'm very glad to hear how pleased you are with the software.

Did the edited postprocessor I sent you work?
Any minor edits needed?

Cheers,
Tony Mac

ger21
10-20-2005, 06:27 PM
Do the routers that claim constant RPM under load actually do that.

Only as long as the load is constant. If the load increases, the router will usually slow down as the heavier load is encountered, but then it will use more power to get back to the correct rpm. But there is always a slight delay when the load is changing. When the load gets lighter, the router will usually speed up a little before slowing back down to the correct speed. This is with variable speed soft start routers.

Jason Marsha
10-20-2005, 06:48 PM
Thanks Gerry.

jason

Bob Hutchinson
10-20-2005, 09:16 PM
jason and tony, here are two i did just now using tape for a mask on finshed wood the gold needed a black background.hope you likie them

Grizzmo

Jason Marsha
10-20-2005, 10:04 PM
Nice signs Bob, the one in black has a great font. I am not on messenger but I will to sign up.

Jason

Tony Mac
10-23-2005, 01:38 PM
Hi Bob,

Nice work!

How big are these signs and what were the approximate cutting times?
(did the estimated cutting time match the actual on the machine?)

Were they cut using multiple Z passes or a single hit?

How are you getting on with the software?
Does it do what you had expected?

Cheers,

Tony Mac

Bob Hutchinson
10-23-2005, 06:34 PM
the signs are small tony. about 4x 9 and 4 x 11 i have another one i havent posted yes 4 x 7 they took about 4 or 5 minutes to carve.....it took longer to setup and paint that it did to carve

Bob Hutchinson
10-26-2005, 09:34 AM
ok guys here are a coupler more pics....the big one is 11 x 20 and took about 15 minutes...the names are 5.5 x 14 all took under 8 minutes.....morgan is 3 x7 and too 4 minutes. used my Next Wave Automation - SHARK router running about 30 ipm 30000 rpm, vcarve for the lettering and mach 2. `when i get them painted i will post again

tauscnc
10-27-2005, 02:01 AM
Hey guys,

I just downloaded the program and its very nice. Quite easy to figure out. I also wish it was a little cheaper for us hobby guys that do this just for kicks :)

I also notice this software has a 2.5 D version and you can pick and choose what you want cut. Seems you can cut with a flat endmill and pic inside/outside or on the line cutting. Pretty nice. I love the simulation. Nice!

QUESTION: When I pocket a few letters it does it in a "layer" setup. What I mean is say I want to cut down to 5 mm in 1 mm steps. The program cuts 1 mm down one letter then moves to the next and cuts it then to the next. It then returns to the first letter and cut it down to 2 then moves over to the next and then the next. Why wouldn't/shouldn't/couldn't the program be made to stay at the same letter and cut it all they way to its depth and THAN move to the next. Its many more steps then needed.

QUESTION: Is the 2D carving like a normal 2D G-Code converter where it does not raise the tool at the ends to give a clean cut? Can this V carving software also double as a regular 2D G-code converter?

QUESTION: Where in the heck do you put in how deep you want the V carving bit to go?

Nice program overall. Infact, refreshing. I am surprised to see updates are only for 12 months only...especially for us hobby guys. Anyone know what updates would cost?

I will add it to my list of programs on my site.

taus
www.cuttingedgecnc.com

Tony Mac
10-27-2005, 05:55 AM
Hi Taus,

Good questions and I'll do my best to answer them,

1. If you select a bunch of letters and profile around the outside (to cut them out) using multiple passes, the toolpath will stay on each letter until it's cut to the full depth.

You shouldn't be seeing the cutter doing each z level for each letter then movening down a level?

2. Yes, the 2D machining is effectively a G-Code converter that also does a lot more. It automatically compensates for any offsets needed when using V-Bit, Engraving and Ball nose cutter geometry to cut around the outside or inside of a vector.

If the geometry has already been designed (offset) to be used as the center-line for cuttng, you simply use the 2D Machine = On the lines.

3. The VCarving Depth is controlled by checking the Flat Depth (F) option and entering the required depth on the Create VCarve Toolpath Form - see the image below.

4. Customers receive all new VCW Updates released in the 12 month period after they purchase - Free of Charge. As VCW is a new product we don't yet have a price for purchasing upgrades, but would expect these to be around the 20% - 25% of the list price.

Hope this helps,

Tony Mac

Jason Marsha
11-30-2005, 08:18 PM
I was going through some files today and found a mothers day plaque dxf file that I had cleaned up. I loaded it into Vcarve to see what the results would look like and here is what I got.

garagefela
12-09-2005, 08:02 AM
I am new to V-carving but I was thinking I would just paint in the carved out parts if I had to and then run the whole thing through a planer or drum sander to take of a 1/32 so as to have a clean surface. The problem comes when I would want to paint the high parts, how to avoid paint in the carved areas.

Jason

Hello everyone,
I have been reading through these posts with interest and came across this problem that Jason has.
I had read somewhere (can't remember where) that someone had this same dilemma, they got around it by first staining the blank piece of work then routing it out thereby not having to stain the high parts and potentially getting stain into the low carved areas.

I suppose the same could be done for paint as long as the cutter doesn't peel the paint up at the edge.

Cheers all M

Tony Mac
12-09-2005, 10:34 AM
Hi,

Your idea of using a planer / sanding drum to remove the unwanted paint will work perfectly if you have access to this type of equipment. The software will let you start vcaring / machining at a specified depth into the material (Start Depth), so you can slightly overcut the design, then take the top surface off with the planer leaving the finished design.

Sealing the surface with a varnish / paint before vcarving works pretty well for recessed machining. You vcarve the design, paint the machined regions and wipe the excess off the varnished top surface.

You can do a similar thing whe cutting the background away to leave the surface proud, but it's still going to be a problem finishing the machined regions.

An option I have used is to carve into a 2 coloured layered / sandwich material, where the machined areas use the base colour and the unmachined regions have the top colour - hope this makes sense?

In the UK there's product called ColouRout which is a black mdf covered with a thin wooden vaneer, cutting through the veneer shows the black base colour and is very affective.

The picture below shows a sign I recently vcarved into ColouRout.

Hope this helps,

Tony Mac

Jason Marsha
12-09-2005, 04:53 PM
That's a great result. Is that the natural finish?

Jason

Tony Mac
12-09-2005, 05:13 PM
Hi Jason,

The top surface of the sign is a natural wood veneer, which is glued to a synthetic mdf base material. Looks very good but is not weather proof so only useful for interior work.

Tony Mac

Mr.Chips
12-09-2005, 05:58 PM
Tony,

Really nice looking. How thick is the veneer?

Hager

Tony Mac
12-10-2005, 08:04 AM
Hi Hagar,

The Veneer is around 0.5mm - 0.020" thick

The material works really well for large desins that cut reasonably deep, but not so good for small detailed designs because the cutter dosen't always break through the veneer.

Cheers,
Tony

Jason Marsha
01-28-2006, 07:32 AM
Now that I am an owner of Vcarve Wizard I decided that my first cut with the new software would be a simple address plaque for the front of the house.
I will post a pic of the finished plaque as soon as its stained an the top planed off.

Jason

Tony Mac
01-28-2006, 07:38 AM
Hi Jason,

The Sign looks great!

Approximately how big is it and was it cut with 1 or 2 tools?
How long to machine?

Tony Mac

Jason Marsha
01-28-2006, 08:22 AM
Hello Tony,

Thanks Tony.
Its about 9.25" wide 8.5" high. It was cut with a 1/4" upcut spiral for pocketing and a 1 inch 90 deg vbit for carving. Total cut time was twenty five minutes.

Jason

Jason Marsha
02-27-2006, 07:17 AM
I forgot to post this pic here, a sample of clock in the shape of a shield I cut using Vcarve to show to a client. It took about 30 min to cut with the pocketing using up most of that time.
The pocket will carry a thin sheet of aluminium on which my client can print in colour.

I will post a pic of the finished product after it is painted and ready for delivery.

Jason

Halfnutz
02-28-2006, 10:16 PM
What an awesome program! I have been playing around with it and I'm going to buy a copy of it soon. I dont understand how to do the pocketing yet, Ive tried but dont understand how you select the region to pocket with the second tool, and if that gets written to a seperate file or the same one. Jason, how did you get your open sign to look like that? Is there anywhere in the demo's that explains the second tool and its tool path?

Tony Mac
03-01-2006, 06:18 AM
Hi Halfnutz,

Very pleased to hear that you like the software.

The software refers to the pocketing using 2 cutters as Flat Bottomed VCarving because it automatically calculates the first toolpath to clear out the flat regions + a second toolpath using a V-Bit or Engraving cutter to carve the detailed regions, but only where the first End Mill was to large to cut.

Hope this kind of makes sense?

It's much easier than it sounds and we have a Video Tutorial that does a much better job of showing and explaining how to do this.

The Tutorials can be downloaded from,

http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/support/support_vcw_tutorials.htm#vcw_tutorials

The Trial version will allow you to size the sample files and SAVE the toolpaths so you can run them on your own machine to check everything works.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any further questions.

Tony Mac

Halfnutz
03-02-2006, 08:46 PM
How does this software compare to professional sign making software as far as capabilities and finished product? Is it feasable to use Vcarve as the primary software for a sign making business?

Jason Marsha
03-02-2006, 10:22 PM
Halfnutz,

Vcarve is professional signmaking software, its just at a lower price. As Tony says, go through the demo and watch the videos (download the videos and pdf files for future reference).
After going through the demos it will all become simple. This software makes the first time user look like an expert.
After practicing with the demos you can load your own files and see what they will look like in the 3D view. This will help you when you finally buy the program in the future.
PhotoVcarve is just as awesome check it out.

Jason

Halfnutz
03-02-2006, 10:33 PM
I think I must be missing quite a bit of the tutorial because I cant get my audio to work.

Tony Mac
03-03-2006, 05:14 AM
Hi Halfnutz,

Sorry to hear you can't hear the audio on the tutorials.

This requires what's called a TSCC Codec to be installed - very safe - and can instantly be installed from,

http://www.techsmith.com/download/codecs.asp

Being able to listen to the videos makes a big difference when learning how to use the software, and this should fix the problem.

Tony

Tony Mac
03-03-2006, 07:25 AM
Hi again,

Just to add to the positive words from Jason about the VCarve Wizard.

This is a quote from a customer in Canada whose wife bought VCW for as a present,

"Since purchasing VCarve Wizard 3 months ago, my CNC Router
has made me more income than in the first 4 years of owning it"

"Everyone has an idea or project they wish to see v-carved"

You can see some of his work on his 'Blogg' site,

http://www.woodnmore.blogspot.com

Tony

Jason Marsha
03-22-2006, 07:37 PM
I cut this design into a cupboard door and it came out pretty good.
The job is 320mm (12.6") wide by 396mm (15.6") tall, cut with a 3/4" 90 deg bit at 1016mm/min (40"min), total time 21 min.

Jason

Jason Marsha
03-22-2006, 09:54 PM
I will post the dxf files when I manage to find it. The file has somehow vanished.

Jason

Dman
03-23-2006, 12:33 AM
Very nice door Jason. Hope you find the dxf files. :)

pdusp
03-23-2006, 02:32 AM
Hi,
Yesterday, I found interesting site: turbocnc.com
I am a beginner in cnc - please tell me - is it right soft to build simple cnc machine?
Thank you
Roland

Jason Marsha
03-23-2006, 12:14 PM
Yes you can use turbocnc. Check out the turbocnc forum on this site for more info.

Jason

Jason Marsha
03-23-2006, 12:37 PM
The reason I could not find the dxf file is that I never created one with this picture as a completed design (chair) . I had imported the corners seperately into VCarve. Phew, I thought I was losing it for a while :)

I will recreate a dxf but in the interim I posted the CRV file in

www.vectric.com > forum > Gallery > Cupboard Door Designs

Jason

Jason Marsha
03-23-2006, 01:02 PM
This file is pretty much what was used to cut the cupboard door design pictured a few posts back. The corners can be shifted to your liking in order to get the perfect arrangement. I used the center vector in material option in Vcarve to get the arrangement just right.
Happy cutting. :)

Jason Marsha
04-02-2006, 04:23 PM
I found this celtic knot at www.clanbadge.com and used the text to create the following output from VCarve. Its about 12 inches square.

See post #68 for Gcode.

Jason

mike hide
04-02-2006, 05:30 PM
As far as finishing the carvings, probably the material to be carved should be stained before starting .After carving the whole thing should be sealed with a coat of clear sand and sealer.Then apply a coat of stain to the carved area wiping off any that gets on the areas where it is not wanted[sealer should not let it penetrate] After the carving stain has dried shoot it again with sealer so that both stain coats are now sealed in. Now apply a third dark stain coat wiping it off the high areas but leaving it in the carving crevaces, then reseal again....

that is the process I use with hand carved pieces......mjh

Jason Marsha
04-11-2006, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the tip Mike I will give it a try. :cheers:

I was requested to submit 2 sample signs for a hotel.
They were to simply say LINEN ONLY and GARBAGE ONLY.
I do not have a picture of the Linen sign as I delivered to my contact on Sunday and forgot to photograph it.
If the General Manager approves the design I may have an order for at least 30.
Total of 15 min machine time at 1016 mm/min (40 inches/min) in MDF.

Jason

Jason Marsha
04-11-2006, 08:10 PM
Here is the Gcode for the above Celtic knot in both Imperial (inch) and Metric (mm).

I used a MLCS 3/4" V-bit.

You may want to edit my Z plunge rates as I have mine set at 150mm/min or
5.9inches/min. Check the code in a plotter like NC-PLOT.

Jason

lakeside
04-11-2006, 08:21 PM
nice knot

CRFultz
04-12-2006, 05:51 AM
Thanks for the tip Mike I will give it a try. :cheers:

I was requested to submit 2 sample signs for a hotel.
They were to simply say LINEN ONLY and GARBAGE ONLY.
I do not have a picture of the Linen sign as I delivered to my contact on Sunday and forgot to photograph it.
If the General Manager approves the design I may have an order for at least 30.
Total of 15 min machine time at 1016 mm/min (40 inches/min) in MDF.

Jason
Nice sign Jason!
The letters appear to be white in the pic, did you paint them in? Was the MDF laminated with a wood grain vener. Good luck on the order.
Chuck

CRFultz
04-12-2006, 06:01 AM
Here is the Gcode for the above Celtic knot in both Imperial (inch) and Metric (mm).

I used a MLCS 3/4" V-bit.

You may want to edit my Z plunge rates as I have mine set at 150mm/min or
5.9inches/min. Check the code in a plotter like NC-PLOT.

Jason
Hey Jason....the Celtic Knot is pretty impressive.....would you be willing to share the .crv file. Or better yet...you wanna swap some vector files...I have a few nice one's from VectorArt that I would be willing to swap...I'm always looking for more usuable material. I make picture frames, the knot would look good around a photoCarve picture.

Jason Marsha
04-12-2006, 06:35 AM
Hey CRFultz,
That is one light coat of quick drying stain, I just pulled the brush back and forth until it looked even. The letters are the bare MDF.

I will post the .crv file at Vectric later today cause I am running out the door to work now.

I will PM you.

That's a cool looking frame.

Jason

dighsx
04-12-2006, 08:44 AM
Here's a few knots I've done. I started a thread over at vcarves site: http://vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=229

lakeside
04-12-2006, 08:46 AM
nice work Jay how about the dxf?

Jason Marsha
04-12-2006, 08:56 PM
That's really good work Jay. As time permits I will post some designs of my own.

Jason

CRFultz
04-13-2006, 05:56 AM
Here's a few knots I've done. I started a thread over at vcarves site: http://vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=229
Jay those are excellent!....thanks for the crv files by the way....I interested in how you made these.....care to share some pointers?
Chuck

dighsx
04-13-2006, 08:22 AM
Here's one more that I did the other day. If you want the crv files they're over on the Vcarve forums: http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=229

Lakeside, I have them as eps files but not dxf. would that work for you?

dighsx
04-13-2006, 09:12 AM
Chuck, I get/make them one of two ways. Either find a cool looking knot and covert it to an eps file or check out this software
http://www.abbott.demon.co.uk/knots.html

This software takes a bit to figure out all the settings but it works pretty well. What I do is monkey around till I get a knot I like. Then I save it as a bmp. Next I take it into Photoshop and remove all the color between the lines. After that I convert it to an eps file. And then it's ready for Vcarve. I'm sure there's a faster way to do it and I think the program can save in DXF format.

Here's a knot I just made with this software

Eclipse
04-13-2006, 09:20 AM
This is a combination off a Celtic knot from Vector Art, and a picture
I found on the net. (Viking Society)
The picture was traced and cleaned up with Inkscape.

spalm
04-13-2006, 12:57 PM
I have been doing a bit of playing with Celtic Fonts. Used Inkscape (free) and used the Inverse font, and saved it as an eps file. This I read into Vcarve and then scaled it up in size and did a Weld vectors. This got rid of all the grids. The simulation looks good. I then deleted the inside and outside border, and got the reverse carving.

Steve

Tony Mac
04-13-2006, 04:36 PM
This True Type Font can be used to create Text based Celtic patterns that can be carved or engraved using VCarve Wizard.

Have fun

Tony

lakeside
04-13-2006, 06:52 PM
Lakeside, I have them as eps files but not dxf. would that work for you?
thanks dighsx but looking for dxf or dwg

Jason Marsha
05-29-2006, 06:53 PM
Here are the pics of my first official job. I cut 24 of each sign with more to do in the future. My DW610 router finally fell to the pressure and I had to borrow a friend's DW618 to complete the job after one of the bearings failed resulting in the armature fan goughing into the body and coming to an instant halt.

This job paid for the Vcarve software, the mach software and the machine. VCarve allowed me to easily adjust the size of the sign and return with a sample very quickly.

The bit shown has cut 400 feet of mdf and is still very sharp. It is a Whiteside 5/32 solid carbide upcut.

I cut the two white clamps from a large cutting board.

Jason

Mr.Chips
05-29-2006, 07:04 PM
Good Job Jason, Having fun and making money. Now that's the idea.

Dman
05-29-2006, 07:20 PM
Excellent work Jason. Keep up to good work.

tauscnc
05-29-2006, 08:53 PM
Beautiful work guys.... the knots, the signs, etc!!!

taus
www.cuttingedgecnc.com

Jason Marsha
05-29-2006, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys.

Jason

Halfnutz
05-30-2006, 05:50 PM
This was taken into Mach3 directly from Knots3D as a DXF. Its a little rough but shows that you can go directly into Mach3 from Knots3D by saving as a 2D DXF.

Hamadamj
05-31-2006, 03:30 AM
Hi everyone,

From what I saw in this thread, I liked VCarve very much

How different is VCarve from TypeEdit which I beleive is one of the top engraving software

Tahnks

Tony Mac
05-31-2006, 05:05 AM
Hello Hamadamj,

Good to see you like VCarve Wizard and I'll try to give you an unbiased overview of the differences between our software and TypeEdit.

I guess the key factor for most members of this community is the price of the software with VCarve Wizard at US$495 and TypeEdit at around US$2,000+ You need to be aware that there are different levels of TypeEdit, starting with the basic Level 1 module that only does very simple 2D machining and no 3D Engrave / VCarving toolpaths where the conical cutters are lifted into corner regions or toolpath preview.

TypeEdit does include a very comprehensive set of drawing and design tools that are excellent for text layout. However, many of the forum members are already using software such as AutoCAD or Corel Draw etc which also have great design and drawing capabilities. The current version 2.0 of VCarve Wizard essentially depends on the design being done in another graphics package then imported for calculating toolpaths, previewing and saving the cnc data. VCarve Wizard version 3 which will be released in June is much more capable with text and interactive design and layout tools.

A big factor for many CNC users is the usability and easy of converting designs into CNC code, and this seems to be true for VCarve Wizard. Another plus for VCW is the high quality 3D Preview mode in VCarve wizard for Toolpath simulations, which you only get with the higher cost TypeEdit modules.

Other benefits that are coming in VCW 3 include, importing 3D data and toolpaths from our PhotoVCarve and VA3D Machning programs. Cutting with Form tools such as Ogee, Roundovers and Custom shapes and Tabbing / bridges for holding jobs in place when cutting through the material. Random 3D carved texturing plus improved 2D machining strategies with raster pocketing strategies and drilling.

Sorry if this sounds a little one sided, and maybe somebody can defend TypeEdit as this would be very interesting.

Let me know if you have any questions or we can help in any way,

Tony

Hamadamj
05-31-2006, 05:14 AM
Thanks alot Tony for your reply

Sure the price could be the big difference for us, poor hobby (not happy) guys

1-Could someone explain to me the difference between the "Integlio" function inTypeedit and VCarve?

2-Is it possibel to do "Area clearing Vcarve style" cut in Typeedit?

Any input is highly appreciated

Thanks

Tony Mac
05-31-2006, 05:53 AM
Hi again,

Intaglio machining is a printing term that is exactly the same as vcarving ands imply means cutting recessed / negative regions with engraving cutters.
In fact, original printing methods used hand-carved wooden blocks and these have been replaced by precison CNC engraved (often) copper plates.

Tony

Hamadamj
05-31-2006, 06:48 AM
Thanks Tony,

I think that in Typeedit it is not possible ( at least I do not know how) to cut in a way that will "clear" the area around the text and leave the text outstanding or extending out as in the Vcarve.

If you draw a box around the text and cut using "Inaglio", Typeedit will try to clear the area aoround the text but it will clear only some area around the text & will give you the "Area too large" message

May be there is another way that I am not aware of

Thanks

Jason Marsha
06-28-2006, 09:27 PM
This circuit board was isolation routed, pocketed, drilled and cut out using a think & tinker 0.80mm endmill (MN208-0313-006F) with VcarvePro beta. Tabs were also added to the board to hold the circuit board in place when it was cut out from the pc board.

I am planning to use a 0.50mm end mill and see what results I get.

Total machinning time of 24min at 1016mm/min(40" min), plunge rate 150mm/min

All small errors shoulds be corrected in the next cut.

Jason

dighsx
06-29-2006, 06:42 AM
Very cool Jason! What's the board for? And what did you design it in?

Jason Marsha
06-29-2006, 09:12 AM
The board is a JCKleinbauer Banshee single axis chopper controller. His booklet had the board traces over a perfboard so I set the CAD program to a 1.27mm (.05") grid with 0.635mm (0.025") snap spacing and drew the traces that way. Major grid lines every two minor lines so that the major lines intersected at points corresponding to the perfboard holes.

Jason

Jason Marsha
07-22-2006, 07:53 AM
With the intro of VCarve Pro we now have some very nifty features including the ability to add tabs. I can now cutout pieces without worrying about having to hold the piece near the end on the cut and most of us would rather not have a finger or fingers near anything spinning at 25000 rpm with sharp edges.

In the pictures I cut some bearing supports out of cutting board plastic for my new machine. When the cut was finished I simply popped it out with my screwdriver and the tabs snapped right off.

This feature gives the hobbiest who makes and sells airplane kits the ability to cut their fiberglass or balsa sheets and leave the parts with tabs like the bigger kit manufacturers.

Jason

Imagineering
07-22-2006, 08:06 AM
I found this celtic knot at www.clanbadge.com and used the text to create the following output from VCarve. Its about 12 inches square.

See post #68 for Gcode.

Jason

Jason, What tooling did you use for this work ???

Jason Marsha
07-22-2006, 08:43 AM
I used a 3/4" diameter, 90 deg v-bit.

Jason

hugo carradini
07-22-2006, 09:17 AM
Hello Jason.
I like your work and have been fallowing your tread..
I am learning and would like to know the minimum types of different bit you considered anybody should have to get a decent result with V-Carve.
Thanks.
Hugo Carradini.

Jason Marsha
07-22-2006, 10:01 AM
For most of the work I have done a 3/4" diameter 90 degree carbide tipped v-bit has worked well. I recently added a 120 degree 1.25" diameter bit to my collection along with a 1" diameter 90 degre v-bit.

www.mlcswoodworking.com is where all of my v-bits have come from.

You will also need a solid carbide upcut bit to cut out you pieces. My spiral bits are Whiteside Bits which I purchased from www.routerbits.com. I usually have a 1/4" (6.35mm) diameter bit with a 1" depth of cut(DOC) as well as a 1/8" (3.175mm) diameter bit with a 1/2" depth of cut.

In the picture lrom left to right:

1/4" diameter upcut 1" DOC Whiteside #RU2100 www.routerbits.com
5/32 diameter upcut 5/8" DOC Whiteside #RU1700
1/8 diameter upcut 1/2" DOC Whiteside #RU1600

120 Deg 1.25" diameter V-bit MLCS #7723 www.mlcswoodworking.com
90 Deg 3/4" diameter V-bit MLCS #7728

Jason

hugo carradini
07-22-2006, 12:58 PM
Jason that was a fast answer. I really appreciate the pictures and the directions.
Have a nice day.
Hugo Carradini.

hugo carradini
08-01-2006, 11:57 PM
Hello Jason
┬┐How is your new machine coming out?
Hope to se pictures soon.
Regards
Hugo Carradini

Jason Marsha
08-02-2006, 08:16 AM
Hi Hugo

The design is coming along. Here is the thread:
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20137

This is the thread for my JGRO machine:
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13872

Jason

Jason Marsha
08-25-2006, 12:36 AM
A cut from a file on the Vectric forum.

Jason

Dman
08-25-2006, 12:52 AM
That pic is just plain awesome. Excellent job. Is the lighter color a paint fill or is it bare wood?

Jason Marsha
08-25-2006, 02:36 PM
Thanks Dman. The lighter colour is the plain MDF.

Jason

hugo carradini
08-25-2006, 04:36 PM
Jason that looks great. I am earning because I want that sotfware. Keep posting pictures.
Regards
Hugo Carradini

Jason Marsha
09-03-2006, 07:11 AM
Another sign for the hotel, this was a test cut. I will post the pics of the completed one in a few days.

Jason

Jason Marsha
09-03-2006, 11:52 AM
I cut the sign today instead to save some time in the week.

Pic1: Took this one with the chips( MDF dust) flying.
Pic2: Just has to be cleaned up, cut end stained and a coat of clear.

Keep going Hugo you will soon have the software, it truly is a fantastic piece of software.

Jason

Jason Marsha
09-03-2006, 01:06 PM
After removing the tabs I think I like the sign better with the sides plain. I will
have a chat with the person who ordered it and see what they think.

Jason

Jason Marsha
09-03-2006, 07:42 PM
I will have to stain the sides after all, no problem just a few extra hours of drying time.

Jason

dighsx
09-04-2006, 06:20 AM
Do you seal those signs with any clear coat?

Jason Marsha
09-04-2006, 08:30 AM
I use Ace Polyurethane clear finish.

Jason

Jason Marsha
09-14-2006, 06:31 PM
For this job I only cut out the letters for a sign company. They finished the sign and after installation I visited the location and took these pics. The tabs feature in VCarve Pro was a lifesaver with these fancy but delicate letters

Jason

hugo carradini
09-14-2006, 08:06 PM
Nice Job.
Hugo Carradini

paulC
09-14-2006, 08:26 PM
Very nice.
What material were they cut from?
I take it they are not actually brass as it would have taken weeks.
Paul

Jason Marsha
09-15-2006, 01:25 PM
Thanks Hugo and Paul.

They were cut from MDF. A laser would have been great for this job, I think I will have to build one.:idea: :D

Jason

Jason Marsha
09-20-2006, 08:51 PM
A friend got married recently and I decided I would compile a poem for them.

Jason

bd007
10-09-2006, 09:47 PM
Hey Jason, the signs look great. I see you are using a polyurethane to finish the MDF signs. Are any of the signs going to be outside? I want to cut some MDF but not sure if it will hold up outside. I was thinking of trying exterior pant and polyurethane.

Thanks,
David

Jason Marsha
10-10-2006, 09:01 PM
The "Steps to Beach Sign" is outside and seems to be holding up after several coats of polyurethane. I will make a check on it tomorrow.

Jason

Jason Marsha
10-17-2006, 01:31 AM
I cut these letters from celltech (that's what the guy called it). Its cuts a lot easier than the MDF and no dust, just chips.

Jason

jetijs
10-18-2006, 05:22 PM
Here's my first cut :)
http://www.wwracing.lv/bildes/griezumi_014.jpg

And this is my machine:
http://www.boot.lv/forums/index.php?showtopic=53294&hl=

Tony Mac
10-18-2006, 05:31 PM
Hi Jetijs,

The sign looks great - very smooth and clean cutting!

What size is the design and how long did it take to machine?

Have you cut any of the other sample files?

Tony

jetijs
10-18-2006, 05:39 PM
Thanks Tony,

No, haven't tried other samples yet. The "open" sign took about 2 hours to cut, because the stepover I set was too small. I think, that with some tweaking I could get it to about 1 hour. The size is about 350x250mm and the cut is 2.5mm deep :)

Jason Marsha
10-19-2006, 09:05 AM
Wow jetijs, that is an excellent finish on that sign. I have found that pine is harder to get a smooth finish due to the alternating hard and soft bands of the wood.

Jason

Jason Marsha
10-19-2006, 09:13 AM
Just took a look at your impressive machine. Not too good at reading the language but the pictures speak for themselves.

Jason

jetijs
10-19-2006, 10:29 AM
Thanks Jason :)

jetijs
10-19-2006, 04:49 PM
Hello again. Heres the BigBen sample cut:

http://www.wwracing.lv/bildes/griezumi_019.jpg

As you can see, after while of cutting, something went wrong, but that's ok. I just wanted to try this out. The carving is about 200x150mm and 1mm deep. Cut with 90 degree 3mm V endmill. I think that with some tweaking and right endmills I could get a much better result.

Tony Mac
10-19-2006, 04:56 PM
Hi again,

The Big Ben design looks great (well most of it) and I would guess that the problem could be related to running the feedrates too fast?

You could also try calculating the toolpath at 0 or 90 degrees as this will then result in parallel toolpath moves that run with only X + Z moves. Cutting the design at an angle means every point is a 3D X, Y and Z move.

I hope this helps,

Tony Mac

jetijs
10-19-2006, 05:01 PM
Thank's for advice! Will try this out tomorrow :)

WeekendWarrior
10-25-2006, 02:00 PM
I might have missed this somewhere earlier in the thread but are those MDF signs painted then carved? I tried a test with Minwax stain on MDF but it soaked in to much. And that was just wipeing very little on. -WW

Jason Marsha
10-25-2006, 04:45 PM
There were stained and then carved. The first coat I put on was allowed to dry for a few minutes and then the excess was wiped off with a cloth until the MDF was a consistent colour.
I then used a wide foam brush to put on the other coats. You may want to sand lightly between coats.

Jason

Jason Marsha
11-05-2006, 01:14 PM
Started a new batch of signs for the hotel.

The G (leftover material pictured) in the Arial font was a request from a sign shop but I almost messed it up because I set VCarve to cut on the outside but forgot to move the axis inward by at least 6.35mm (bit size) :eek: :withstupi (chair) . The axis then hit the limit switch and I was stuck with an incomplete cut.

After several minutes of panic :drowning: I decided the best option was to shift the limit switch to get the clearance, it still was not enough and more panic :drowning: :drowning: filled moments passed before I came up with the idea :idea: of recreating the code in Vcarve but with the setting for an "on" profile cut and importing that code into Mach3.

This gave me the clearance I needed and after finding the start point ( a light circular scratch caused by the spiral bit) the G was completed, a little smaller but complete. :banana: :banana:

The material used for the G was sign foam and the guys from the shop stuck two 1/2" pieces together to get 1" stock. My upcut bit cuts this material like butter.

Jason

hugo carradini
11-05-2006, 03:53 PM
Hello Jason.
Nice cuts.
¿Are you cutting with a new machine , or you still using the first one you made?
Regards
Hugo Carradini

Jason Marsha
11-05-2006, 05:54 PM
Thanks Hugo.

I am still using my JGRO. Hopefully I will have enough cash soon to start purchasing the electronics. I am pretty set on gecko's right now, I am not sure if I will use their G-Rex control along with the geckos.

Hugo, how is your machine progressing?

Jason

hugo carradini
11-05-2006, 09:05 PM
I HAD SOME PROBLEMS GETTING THE ACMES. I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT HAPPENED BUT MCMASTER SEND ME A NOTE TELLING ME : Thank you for sending us this order. Due to the ever-increasing complexity of U.S. Export regulations, McMaster-Carr has decided to only accept orders from a few, long-established customers of ours overseas. We cannot accept your order, and regret any inconvenience this causes you.

International Sales
THIS IS WEIRD, WHEN EVERY BODY WANTS TO SELL THEY CLOSE MARKETS BUT I ALL READY GOT A NEW DISTRIBUTOR AND THEY ARE ON THE WAY.
¿DO YOU NOW WHERE I CAN BUY V BEARINGS AND CHANEL FOR V BEARINGS?
I THINK THEY ARE A GREAT SOLUTION FOR MY TRAVELS.
HOPE YOU CAN HELP
REGARDS
HUGO CARRADINI

Jason Marsha
11-05-2006, 09:30 PM
Check out these sites

http://teausa.net/
www.sdp-si.com

Jason

hugo carradini
11-05-2006, 10:39 PM
Thanks Jason.
That Was A Quick Answer

Jason Marsha
11-14-2006, 04:24 PM
Created this arch for a hotel. The arch is almost 8 feet wide so I had it cut on a bigger cnc machine.

The third pic shows a segmented arch (Done in VCarve Pro), this was done so that I could cut out the letters as well as the arch outline on my JGRO and then match the outlines to the actual arch shown in pic 2.

Later tonight I will post a pic of the completed arch which I have to deliver tomorrow.

Jason

Kipper
11-14-2006, 05:38 PM
Nice Jason :thumsup:

Jason Marsha
11-14-2006, 06:35 PM
Thanks Kipper.

Jason

Jason Marsha
11-15-2006, 12:51 AM
I just finished the arch and decided to post the pics before I go off to sleep.
I stuck the letters on with Krazy glue. I used very small amounts so that there would be none squeezed out and therefor avoided the white residue.
The amazing thing is that after sticking all those letters I still have 1/3 of the small tube left.

Jason

Jason Marsha
01-10-2007, 10:04 PM
Ordered a triple flute solid carbide tipped 60 deg bit from Amana.
Hopefully this gives me a fuzz free cut in sign foam.

Jason

Jason Marsha
01-11-2007, 08:43 AM
I cut a sample with the triple flute 60 deg bit and the cut was very clean the only problem is that all of the bits drag a little of the paint into the "V" and it sticks on, I guess that is caused by the heat of the bit.

Is there a special paint that is used with sign foam to alleviate this problem?

Jason

joecnc2006
01-11-2007, 10:07 AM
I cut a sample with the triple flute 60 deg bit and the cut was very clean the only problem is that all of the bits drag a little of the paint into the "V" and it sticks on, I guess that is caused by the heat of the bit.

Is there a special paint that is used with sign foam to alleviate this problem?

Jason

I was wondering if you tried masking the painted surface with ie vinyl, for something like that, and maybe the paint being cut will fluout with the vinyl and wood chips, or slow spenal rate? but this is just a guess.

Jason Marsha
01-11-2007, 04:05 PM
That's an option Joe. To tell you the truth I was trying to avoid any type of masking but I figured if I was forced to mask then I would just spray some white paint in the letters.

Jason

spalm
01-11-2007, 04:17 PM
Looks good Jason.

Maybe you could try a second pass. If you re-set the depth of cut just a tad lower, it would just act as a clean-up pass.

Steve

Jason Marsha
01-11-2007, 04:51 PM
Looks good Jason.

Maybe you could try a second pass. If you re-set the depth of cut just a tad lower, it would just act as a clean-up pass.

Steve

That's a great idea Steve but I was also avoiding that option as each pass takes 23 min so 46 min is a little long . If however I am out of usable options :eek: I will use this one to ensure I get the job.

Jason

Jason Marsha
01-14-2007, 06:37 PM
The problem seems to be a paint drying issue as the last blank painted with automotive paint a month ago showed no signs of smudging when I carved the new sign this morning.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Jason

Jason Marsha
03-16-2008, 08:30 AM
Wow I have not posted here in eons. Here are the last things I cut.
Curtain rod brackets as well as the drill hole pattern for my machine gear reduction boxes.

Since mdf is so hard on bits I have now decided to have VCarve Pro set the holes to 2 to 3 mm deep and drill the remainder with my drill press.
I takes up a little more time but drill bits are dirt cheap as compared to carbide spiral bits.

I also only marked the outline of the rectangle and finished them on the table saw

Jason

Khalid
06-14-2008, 10:20 AM
Very beautiful work Jason...Please post more of ur work..
Regards

RoutnAbout
06-14-2008, 11:19 AM
Hey Jason, looks great.
What size collets in your router\spindle? Could you put your drill in your router\spindle?
And is it easier to get your blades sharpened than your bits? Its cheaper to have bits sharpened than saw blades in my area.

As always your work looks great.

Don

Jason Marsha
06-01-2009, 10:03 AM
Don,
Wow, Sorry I did not see your post its been a long time posting here.
Collets: 1/4", 1/2", 1/8".

Here are a few recent bits of work, there has been more but I was not allowed to post all of it.

Pics are a house number for a friend's new home and restroom signs for a hotel.

My purchase plans for Aspire did not work out as I have been sidetracked with some home improvements and finishing the large cnc machine. I may take a crack at VCarve 5 however.

Jason

Jason Marsha
06-04-2009, 12:20 AM
Toolpath for this 2 stage reduction created with VCarve Pro, this time however I let the holes be drilled through, I used an old bit and it cut surprisingly well. The final ratio is 6.25:1.

Jason

Jason Marsha
12-19-2009, 05:55 AM
This was a super rush job and was started and completed on the same day. Finished it driving between home and work, in all the time spread was about 5 hours. The gold paint was quick drying and this saved some time. Its a corian type material cut with a 60 deg solid carbide tipped bit at 25,000 rpm.
You just cannot beat Vectric's VCarve products.

Jason Marsha
01-24-2010, 07:48 AM
Feedback is that both recipients were very pleased with the plaques. Next time however I will avoid the material with embedded stones as they may leave holes during carving if one comes loose.

Jason

Jason Marsha
03-15-2010, 08:36 PM
Three signs in total, here is the first. Letters to be painted gold.
The wood is Cedar with a fairly consistent grain so far (no strings in the grain)

Jason

Jason Marsha
04-04-2010, 07:30 AM
Finished signs.

Jason

Switcher
04-04-2010, 06:28 PM
Signs look great!

Jason Marsha
04-06-2010, 09:59 PM
Thanks Switcher

Khalid
04-13-2010, 01:36 PM
signs looks great after finishing.. Your work is improving as compare to the old one.. Do you only make signs?

Jason Marsha
04-14-2010, 11:15 PM
signs looks great after finishing.. Your work is improving as compare to the old one.. Do you only make signs?

The majority of my work is signs. I plan to get into some 2.5D wood carving with my bigger machine which I hope to finish this year.

Jason

MrWild
04-15-2010, 11:44 PM
The majority of my work is signs. I plan to get into some 2.5D wood carving with my bigger machine which I hope to finish this year.

Jason

All the signs were with a JGRO, right? What's your big machine?

Jason Marsha
05-01-2010, 05:40 PM
Sorry I missed your post MrWild. The big machine will be a 5x10 or slightly larger. The construction is now being held up by a floor that had to be changed.

Jason

SatanKlawz
09-30-2010, 08:40 PM
How do you get the machined areas painted so perfectly?

eaglezsoar
10-01-2010, 09:41 AM
Vcarve Wizard is not shown at the Vectra store.
What are the differences between Vcarve Wizard and Vcarve Pro?

Tony Mac
10-01-2010, 11:15 AM
Hello Eaglezsoar,

VCarve Wizard was the original version 1 of the software that was
released back in 2005. We then added lots more functionality to make
the software more useful and flexible, and decided 'wizard' undersold
what the software was capable of. So changed it to be VCarve Pro.

Vectric only sell the current release which is VCarve Pro version 5.5

I hope this helps,

Tony

Jason Marsha
11-17-2010, 07:05 AM
How do you get the machined areas painted so perfectly?

I masked the sign with contact paper first, vcarved the letters and then painted. After the paint dried I pulled the contact paper off.

Jason

Jason Marsha
11-17-2010, 07:08 AM
Another one finished.

Jason Marsha
11-26-2011, 07:12 PM
For a friend's house

FredJ608
12-27-2011, 01:05 PM
I masked the sign with contact paper first, vcarved the letters and then painted. After the paint dried I pulled the contact paper off.

Jason

Do you finish your sign blank with a clear-coat first, then lay the contact paper on the dried finish, next engrave, and finally paint the engraved surfaces? Is there a problem with paint running under the contact paper? What type of varnish or shellac or polyurethane do you use for the clear-coat? If not clear-coat first, how do you keep the contact paper firmly stuck to raw wood while engraving?

I've tried several variations on this "paint the letters" process, but with limited success. Any help would be most welcome. Thanks.

Jason Marsha
02-26-2012, 05:46 AM
Sorry I missed this post.
The process I generally use is what you posted.

Paint blank desired color.
Multiple clear coats. Let dry hard.
Mask blank with contact paper.
Carve design.
Paint design, let dry hard.
Pull off contact paper.
Sand clear coat with medium/fine sanding sponge to remove any runs under the mask. (This is the reason for the multiple clear coats)
I use the thick sanding sponges from Do it Best hardware~ 1"x 5" x 3".
Finish with clear coat.

With this process all my designs have sharp edges for the lettering. The great thing about clear coat is that after the sanding to clean up the letters the final coat will fill and hide all the sanding marks.

Jason

Jason Marsha
05-06-2012, 09:55 AM
Some of the work done over the past months with V Carve Pro.

Pic 1: Two sliding signs for conference rooms.

Pic 2: More signs for the same building

Pic 3: Wet floor signs for a hotel. So far I have sold 25 to two sister hotels - 15 wet floor, 5 wet paint and 5 pool closed.
More orders may come from related hotels

Jason

harryn
06-01-2012, 06:17 PM
Really nice work. Thanks a lot for the tips on finishing work. While my own cnc router is still a "goal", it is useful to pick up finishing tips for around the house projects.

Jason Marsha
01-23-2013, 08:34 PM
Some carvings in solid surface. 9" x 7"

Jason

Jason Marsha
01-27-2013, 06:37 PM
Cut the slots for hanging the plaques with a 3/8" key hole cutting bit.
Have to remember to plunge the bit, cut the slot and return to the original
plunge hole for bit retraction.

Jason

Jason Marsha
01-30-2013, 06:01 PM
King Tut all done.
Some more sanding will finish up this fellow.

Jason Marsha
03-10-2013, 01:11 PM

Condo sign. 4 feet wide by 13 inches tall.
Came out really great.

Had to use the basic uploader to post the pic

Jason

Jason Marsha
03-28-2013, 08:09 PM
The temporary sign above was replaced by the permanent one. It took 1.5 hours in the steaming sun.

Jason

fixtureman1
03-28-2013, 08:45 PM
Cut the slots for hanging the plaques with a 3/8" key hole cutting bit.
Have to remember to plunge the bit, cut the slot and return to the original
plunge hole for bit retraction.

Jason

There is a gadget for Vectric software that will cut the slots

Jason Marsha
03-28-2013, 11:56 PM
Thanks Fixtureman1, I will check it out.

Jason

Jason Marsha
04-06-2013, 08:40 AM

Acrylic solid surface (Corian)

House sign to be mounted in a triangular configuration. Used a 120 deg bit for the letters. Painted the letters with grey metallic paint.

Size: 25" x 13"

Jason

Jason Marsha
04-10-2013, 08:29 AM

These letters were cut bottoms up because I also drilled a 7mm deep, 1/8" diameter hole.

I threaded in a 25mm rod and reinforced it with slow set epoxy.

Deleted the letters from the drawing file creating a file with just the holes flipped right side up.

Drilled the template holes using CNC machine.

At the job site:

After marking the hole location using the template, I drilled 5mm diameter holes for the fischer plugs.

After inserting the plugs I then firmly pressed the letters to their correct location.

NB.

The N's and A's are all identical to make it easier to line up the holes. So create one letter N with holes and copy to the N locations. Same for the A's

Jason

Jason Marsha
04-10-2013, 11:43 PM

Two signs each. One pair for each side of the Large directory sign at the entrance to the complex and the other pair for the storefront.

Metallic purple and canary yellow.

Used a 60 deg V bit for the lettering.

Stuck the signs on with 3M grey double sided tape. This stuff does not let go.

Jason

Jason Marsha
05-18-2013, 09:20 PM

Sign size: each side is 24 inches x 13 inches

This sign has aluminum plate screwed to the back for support. Each piece is about 15 inches long by 2 inches wide.
This sign spends the entire day in the sun, so without support it will bend.

Jason

Jason Marsha
05-22-2013, 11:50 AM
Just cut an 8 foot sign on my small router. Will peel off the masking later and sand.

Jason

Jason Marsha
05-23-2013, 05:56 PM
185724 185726

The 8 foot sign all cleaned up.
Delivering the sign today will take pics after owner installs.

Jason

Jason Marsha
01-12-2014, 07:57 PM
My 5x5 router is finally finished. Sample sawn balusters cut for a friend. Pulled the bitmap image into VCarve Pro, generated and cleaned up the vectors.
VCarve Pro is pretty much my one stop software.

Balusters are 30" x 11" cut from semi wet treated pine (awful wood)

Jason

hugo carradini
01-15-2014, 08:03 AM
Hi Jason
Its been a long time. I can see you keep making nice and better works.
Regards

Jason Marsha
01-15-2014, 08:18 PM
Hey Hugo,

That's right , it has been a long time. How is it going?

Post some pics let us see what you are doing with the mechmate.

Some additional pics of the balusters four in row.

Jason

hugo carradini
01-16-2014, 04:39 PM
Sure good friend.
I am in the Sign Busines and have done a lot of signs . I started from cero and now i am in love with my work. Hope you like it

Jason Marsha
01-16-2014, 07:45 PM
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hugo, excellent work. That is a real sign business.
How was the Purple Sexy sign made.

Jason

hugo carradini
01-16-2014, 08:01 PM
Hi Jason
Thanks for your comments.
I cut two out side of mdf 9mm one right and one left and y glue them to a piece of hard foam and then cut wit a hot nife al the inside and out side. Then put paste all arround ,i sand it and paint.
Hope you understan my poor english
Regards

Jason Marsha
01-17-2014, 06:20 AM
I understand perfectly Hugo.

Thanks for the explanation. Keep up the great work and post pics when you finish your other jobs.

Jason

Jason Marsha
01-22-2014, 08:02 PM
Continuing from the sawn balusters on page 16 a few more.

All 30" tall 3/4" thick, and either 11" wide or 7" wide.

Cutting the intricate curves at slower speeds reduces my sanding time considerably along with
a single 3/4" (19.05mm) pass. I slow the machine down to 40" min if necessary to get the cleanest
possible cut.

Jason

Jason Marsha
01-24-2014, 05:17 AM
Cutting a picture frame for my dad to put pics of the grandkids.

Jason

Jason Marsha
01-24-2014, 05:21 AM
Video of the above picture frame

Picture Frame Carving - YouTube (http://youtu.be/AMbrGR4OH68)

Jason Marsha
01-26-2014, 08:11 PM
Dad is now happy with this frame

Jason Marsha
03-26-2014, 07:45 AM
Routing slots for wooden shutters.

Took me forever to ensure everything was straight and tested a few times for good measure.

All the wood was not perfectly straight which added to the stress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZNzWCsvMWY

Jason Marsha
04-08-2014, 04:35 PM
Signs were cut from 20mm sign foam

Dimensions 40 inches by 23 inches.

Design was cut from a larger vector and completely edited in V-Carve Pro.

The Font is Black Chancery

Jason Marsha
09-02-2014, 08:17 PM
This louvre work is getting popular.

Had to cut the slots from each side to reduce the splitting when the bit pushed out the other side.

Designed everything in VCarve Pro and the machine did the rest.

Jason

Jason Marsha
09-09-2014, 10:15 AM
A plaque for the lady in charge of the nursery that my daughters attended.

13" x 9" solid surface. Cut with a 60 deg solid carbide bit.

Jason

kiwichris
09-10-2014, 12:15 AM
What's the material? Looks like stone but assume it isn't?

Jason Marsha
09-10-2014, 08:06 AM
Its acrylic solid surface.

She absolutely loved it. She said its the first time anyone gave her anything like that.

Jason

kiwichris
09-12-2014, 05:32 AM
OK... I'll have to look that up here, I've seen acrylic laminated with wood look finishes, but not stone, it looks cool.

Great finishing job, well done.

Cheers, Chris H.

Jason Marsha
09-12-2014, 08:03 AM
Thanks Chris.

The original acrylic solid surface was DuPont Corian and since they are several big ones like Wilsonart solid surface, Samsung Staron, Swanstone, Avonite.

Jason Marsha
12-19-2014, 06:02 AM
A video link to the louvre cutting video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICFj8UWW4Yk

Jason Marsha
12-19-2014, 06:08 AM
Video of decorative trimming cut.

8' trimming on a 5' machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufms_AcJRbY

Jason Marsha
12-19-2014, 06:11 AM
Pictures of the trimming.

I was provided with a sample and had to match it.

Notice in the first pic the hangs off the back of the machine, while in the second pic the material is hanging off the front of the machine.

The indexing became more critical while cutting the edge profile which would stop halfway through the profile.

In the end I ran a single pass @ 19.05 mm (3/4") with a 1/4" up-spiral to cut the profile and the result was perfect.

Not my first choice for a decorative moulding but it is stronger than what was there before.

Jason