PDA

View Full Version : Used my machine this last weekend

howecnc
10-03-2011, 02:26 PM
Hey guys,
Like I have been saying my machine is running rock solid these days. I used it over the weekend and it really saved my but from being late on a job.

I know it's ruff when you buy something and it doesn't work right out of the box.
Phil does take pride in his product and will make sure things are right in the end.

ROCKYMTN
10-11-2011, 12:40 PM
Mine is working great too - it really is a nice machine !!

I think the frustrations from myself and others come about by Mikini not having a traveling service/install tech. I know that would help immensely on solving a lot of these problems. It is so hard to trouble-shoot returned parts when outside the machine where the problem occurred. Seeing first hand how the machine is used/installed etc is invaluable.

anyway,

I did make a bunch of copper parts over the last few weeks and that machine coupled with the right tooling leaves breathtaking finishes on the parts. I am continued to be impressed with the accuracy.

MichaelHenry
10-11-2011, 03:47 PM
I think the frustrations from myself and others come about by Mikini not having a traveling service/install tech.

You might not like what they would have to charge for local service, just to break even let alone make a profit on it. Service techs probably bill out at well over $100per hour and you'd have to cover travel expenses too.

Mike

keebler303
10-11-2011, 04:56 PM
You might not like what they would have to charge for local service, just to break even let alone make a profit on it. Service techs probably bill out at well over $100per hour and you'd have to cover travel expenses too.

Mike

Service calls on all our analytical equipment is $1500 minimum just to get them to come, then you pay for parts, extra time, etc. etc. Its simply not economical from either a company or customer perspective.

Matt

ROCKYMTN
10-11-2011, 05:45 PM
All true but an unhappy customer will cost you much more than any service tech would in the long run. All part of taking care of the customer.

MichaelHenry
10-12-2011, 04:16 PM
Rocky - are you willing to pay for the tech's time or do you expect that service to be supplied free of charge to you?

Matt is pretty much correct on his cost estimate from my experience, also with analytical equipment.

An old friend runs a machine repair business complete with hand-scraping ability and other high tech trouble-shooting skills. Last time I checked he billed his people out at $95/hour or more and travel time was billed at the regular rate in addition to travel expenses (mileage, meals, etc.). There may even be a minimum time committment. If so it could cost you $400 or so for his guy to come in and fix something as simple as the machine being unplugged. If you want on-site warranty service to be included in the price of the machine you will have to be willing to pay much more for it.

Mike

ROCKYMTN
10-12-2011, 06:59 PM
You are missing my point entirely.

Go read the most active post in this Mikini forum from start to finish and you will get the idea.

I certainly don't expect Mikini to send a support tech out to every machine install and "brain fart" that a customer might have about the machine. HOWEVER I do expect some level of assistance when I am spinning my wheels incessantly tying to get the machine setup to work for me. These are expensive machines to some of us and when problems show up it would be VERY helpful to have onsite help to get up and running. There is one very clear documented experience of one user who has been "stuck" with a non functioning machine for over 9 months now and he could be up and running probably in a day or two with some onsite help from the manufacturer. What is the problem ? - who knows. Maybe the machine, maybe the power supply maybe something else. Time for an expert from the company and YES on their dime! Especially when this machine was/is still under warranty.

I'm a EE (Electrical Engineer) and I feel very comfortable working with anything electrical from microprocessor electronics to high voltage power supplies even software. I have over $30K of high end test equipment that I own. I personally don't need or even want a CNC install tech at my house. However, some people do not have the same luxury as I have and need the support from the manufacturer when they have an continuing machine issue that has been going on for months. I own a Mikini and I now love it however, I too had all sorts of issues with the machine and all were electrical based. My line voltage and ground both measured out fine and were within spec of Mikini published requirements however, I still had four separate electrical failures.

The company I work for sells among many things large highway message signs. Some of these are well over 6000 pounds and can't be UPS back to us for repair. If one of these goes down, and under warranty we have a tech out there ASAP to get it back up and running. If they can't figure it out than an engineer goes out in the field. EVEN if the problem is traced back to customer we help them out period - we use this experience - learn from it and improve so it doesn't happen again.

When I bring up cost from unhappy customers I mean that exactly, would you, looking at a Mikini buy one today based on the experiences of this forum? Sure, sending a tech out will cost a few 1000 dollars but what damage has already been done by continuing to ignore the problem of a frustrated customer?

MichaelHenry
10-14-2011, 07:04 PM
I stand by my opinion that the cost of on-site support has to be incorporated into the price of the mill or the buyer has to be willing to pay extra for that service if he decides that it is needed.

There's no free lunch and it's hard to make up in volume for a product sold at a loss. Just a guess but it seems to me that the cost of on-site support would be on the order of $1-2k per incident at a minimum and much more in some circumstances. Whether or not the adder for that makes a significant impact on the mill cost depends on the percentage of machines sold that will need the service. To get an idea of that we'd need to know how many mills have been sold and how many owners would have expected the service.

Mike