PDA

View Full Version : Cut2d question

fast_project
09-15-2011, 03:33 PM
I'm new to Cut2d and am so far very pleased. My question is if I'm using more than one tool it will not let me post all toolpaths to one file. It tells me I dont have an automatic toolchanger (which I don't) but would rather pause to change tools than run another program. Any way around this?

kiwichris
09-15-2011, 05:28 PM
Hi,

Cut2D doesn't support tool changes.

If you have a look at the vectric forums there have been a couple of people talk about workarounds for this.

In my case what I did was:

Use the same tool number for all your tools in Cut2D.

Create each tool path in the order you want, and add a single drill tool path to a known point in between each one.

Select all visible tool paths, export them to a .tap file.

Edit the .tap file in a text editor searching for the known X/Y co-ordinates of the drill path and the replace the drill path with the pause or tool change code for your machine as appropriate.

I did this for a series of roughing / finishing / engraving cuts using three tools and it worked quite well for what I wanted.

I've now upgraded to vCarvePro and haven't actually tried a multi-tool job yet, I must give it a go and see what happens.... I'm currently using EMC, so I assume it supports tool changes, but dunno what it would do. :-)

Cheers, Chris H.

fast_project
09-15-2011, 08:56 PM
I will give that a try, thank you.

Gundawg
10-04-2011, 04:45 PM
I'm new to Cut2d and am so far very pleased. My question is if I'm using more than one tool it will not let me post all toolpaths to one file. It tells me I dont have an automatic toolchanger (which I don't) but would rather pause to change tools than run another program. Any way around this?

I am not sure why you would want to save multiple tool toolpaths to one file. When I create a new toolpath I create a folder for it the folder will be named with the part name and date (for example Gadget 11-25-11) inside that folder I save each tools set of toolpaths and name that file .125 drill for example. If I have several toolpaths that use the .125 drill for example drilling different depths they will both be saved to the .125 drill file. The next tool may have 10 toolpaths all using a .250 mill they will all be saved to that file named .250 mill. Without a toolchanger this works great as you have to stop to change tools just pick the next tool file you want to run.

Mike