PDA

View Full Version : RFQ - CNC Track Replica

DaveInVa
09-02-2011, 03:46 PM
Hello,
I might be totally off-base posting this request here but I would like to inquire about the cost to produce a replica of a local racetrack outlined in wood. I'm unsure of the final size but no more than 12" at its longest point and no more than 1-1/2" thick with a black plastic laminate top (or for cost reasons I'll paint it black later). The track surface would be about 1/2 to 3/4 of the replica's thickness. I think having the replica loosely follow the tracks elevation changes would be my ultimate goal but understand if it is cost prohibitive.

At this point its a one-off project for my personal enjoyment.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-7NzJYgjip7E/TmErD4InN6I/AAAAAAAADNY/KugI-mw62QE/s288/SummitPoint_Main.gifhttps://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-JAI9UHOJitc/TmErEyitodI/AAAAAAAADNc/UgRx1OCbfqE/s288/SummitPoint_Main_2.gif

Maybe you can suggest an attractive yet cost-effective wood to use as I'd like to be able to see the grain.

Thanks for your time.

Dave
Alexandria VA

Pyrokuda
09-02-2011, 04:08 PM
Hello,

I am thinking that a medium density tooling board would work the best.
You say you want it contoured?

Please respond to briscoe_machining@hotmail.com

Brad

Briscoe Machining LLC
614-282-6862

aminear
09-02-2011, 04:52 PM
Dave,

I would be interested in this project, send me details to aminear@wyomingwireless.com

Arnie

DaveInVa
09-02-2011, 06:42 PM
Having it contoured would be a fantastic.

DaveInVa
09-02-2011, 07:48 PM
msg sent.

jredburn
09-04-2011, 08:37 PM
Dave,
A plastic laminate like on kitchen cabinets is less than 1/8" thick and wont bend in two directions so contouring is out. The cost to program the elevations will be the biggest part of the project. Oak is hard, relative stable and shows the grain. It can be stained to match the actual location. Send me a plan I can read and I will give you a quote.
Regards
Joe

DaveInVa
09-06-2011, 08:52 AM
Joe,
thanks for the reply. I understand what you are saying about the plastic laminate and I'm fine with that. Using oak sounds good to me. I'm working on getting a hold of an actual survey of the track but all I have to offer is the images in the original post and the attached file which does have some elevation information although its too small to read clearly. In the mean time can you provide a quote to mill the track with no elevation changes?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave,
A plastic laminate like on kitchen cabinets is less than 1/8" thick and wont bend in two directions so contouring is out. The cost to program the elevations will be the biggest part of the project. Oak is hard, relative stable and shows the grain. It can be stained to match the actual location. Send me a plan I can read and I will give you a quote.
Regards
Joe