PDA

View Full Version : Lubrication

BeerFizz
09-25-2005, 09:23 PM
Hi All,

what is everyone using for lubrication?

Do you use something different on the ball screws as opposed to the ways for example.

Has anyone heard of Du-Ponts Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant, which sets up dry?

Thanks for all responses,
Phil

phantomcow2
09-26-2005, 11:43 AM
THe things i lubricate most regularly:
Ways - Motor oil works very well, it seems to stick to the metal and lasts.
Leadscrew- I use a mixture of white lithium and motor oil, not too much grease or else it just makes a pile

KDN Tool
09-28-2005, 03:46 PM
Phil,
I use way oil on the ways and spindle oil on the ball screws. Both are available in 1 gallon containers from McMasterr Carr. I stick with the Mobil brand name ones even though the "no-name" ones probably come from the same refinery. I do not care for the teflon multi-use lube.

Ken
KDN Tool

mxtras
09-28-2005, 04:44 PM
I strongly discourage the use of motor oil for the ways. It sticks and it works, yes but if you are doing fine moves you can feel a difference when using way lube. Use way lube - there is a difference. Mobile Vactra #2.

On the ballscrew - a light lithium grease works well. The only time I would recommend an oil is if it is oiled regularly and tied into an automatic lubricator. If it is lubricated occasionally through a fitting, then use a light bodied lithium based grease.

If it is a high precision or small diameter ballscrew, NSK Precision America recommends an ISO Grade 32 through Grade 100 (approx. SAE15 through SAE30) for oil lubrication or a lithium based grease with a viscosity of 30-140 cst at 40C (very thin bodied grease).

I would stay away from using a grease with Teflon or other additives for a precision, recirculating ball nut.

Scott

BeerFizz
09-28-2005, 05:05 PM
Thanks for all the responses everyone.

Phil

chas
11-09-2005, 07:25 PM
Any Idea where one can locate Mobile Vactra #2 in Toronto, Canada?
thanks