PDA

View Full Version : Sherline 5400A-CNC

dneisler
09-23-2005, 10:06 PM
Where is the best place now days to buy sherline tools? Where is the cheapest place?

Trying to decide on Sherline 5400 or a X2.
Leaning to the sherline due to it is ready to go almost.

daedalus
09-25-2005, 08:42 AM
Hi,

check out this thread: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13352

have been trying to make the sherline vs x2 decision myself, and after hearing what people here have to say, im going the seig way.

If your after a ready to use setup there are people who sell both retrofit kits and x2s already converted.

pacosoide
09-25-2005, 11:00 AM
To get the X2 to be as accurate as the Sherline, will cost you pretty money. If you are (only) doing work on small items, plastic, soft metals, the Sherline will be the best.
Sherline out of the box around $500.00 very accurate, ready to mill.
X2 out of the box $400.00, very inaccurate. Not really ready for quality work.
It will cost you around $800.00 to convert your X2 with ballscrews. Now you have 1200.00 on the X2, $500.00 on the Sherline. Of course the X2 is a more capable machine now. I own both, use the Sherline to do pcb for electronic circuits, it works like a charm. Do some aluminum, bronze, copper, no problems.
Sherline is probably the machine of choice for the jewlers out there. They do accurate finely detailed designs.
See what your needs are.

phantomcow2
09-25-2005, 11:31 AM
personally i would go for the X1. Stock is does not have much travel, well about as much as the sherline i would suspect.
But for 80 you can get a Y axis extend kit which replaces the base and gives 130mm of travel, more than the mini mill. And in November LMS will carry an X axis extend kit for 70 i think, total cost cheaper than a mini mill with more travel.
PLus its supposed to be easier to convert if you choose to go that route.
The sherline we have at school is really accurate, people make some amazing engravings and artistic designs with it, but Its just not as beefy as a sieg.
I cant comment on the accuracy of my mill though, I have not done any precision work with it, but it has been good from what i can tell

daedalus
09-25-2005, 03:11 PM
pacosoide: out of interest, what grade ballscrews are you using on your x2?

BUD B
10-10-2005, 10:19 AM
I Am Looking For The Best Sherline 4 Axis Cnc Kit So Far I Looked At
Micro Kinetics Imservice Flash Cut Does Anybody Know Which System
Is Best

PaulH
10-10-2005, 11:01 AM
Bud, please start a new thread instead of hijacking an existing one. Also, Please Do Not Capitalize Every Word. It makes the sentence hard to read.