PDA

View Full Version : Need Help! Is a 5056D compatible with a 3.6 degree stepper?

Fastest1
08-15-2011, 07:41 PM
I have 3 steppers that were working fine with a G540. They are 3.6 degree steppers instead of the usual 1.8 degree. Seems to me this would just be a 100 step per revolution as opposed to 200 steps per rev. I assumed they would work fine when I reconfigured the electronics to a C35 and 3 5056D's. So far no love. I have the steppers wired bipolar series just as before, set the current for the same range. The steppers seem to warm with no squealing or hum but no movement either. I have posted this question worded many different ways with hardly a repsonse. I have written support@keling but nothing yet. I dont know if it is a problem with the C35 or the 5056D's. I have tried every resolution on the drive with no luck. I have left most of my xml setting the same as the g540 was, the pins did change as the C35 uses different pin assignments dependent on which RJ45 port. Tips? Also the steps per rev that the digital stepper driver needs is not the same as the steps per unit Mach asks for is it? My steps per unit in Mach is 101,660 steps per unit (inch in this case). Steps were calibrated with the tool within Mach on the old G540.

hoss2006
08-16-2011, 12:36 PM
Why are your steps per so high with the g540?
A typical setup on a system using 5 tpi ballscrews is only 10,000 steps per in Mach's motor tuning.
200 (steps/rev) x 5 (tpi) x 10 (1/10th microstepping) = 10,000
your 3.6 motors would be half of that, 100 x 5 x 10 =5000

What microtepping are you trying to run on the 5056D?
What's your leadscrew tpi?
The LED on the 5056D isn't flashing is it? That means the supply voltage is over 45V.
The calibration wizard will help fine tune it once you're in the ballpark.
Hoss

Improved Mach 3 Axis Calibration - YouTube

hoss2006
08-16-2011, 12:59 PM
The chart for the 5056D micostepping is setup for a typical 1.8 degree (200 steps/rev) motor.
Note that if you multiply 200 x the microstep you get the steps/rev.
You just need to use half of that number for the rest of your calculations.
pick your desired microstepping, set your switches, multiply by your tpi and also any belt drive ratio.
Hoss

Fastest1
08-16-2011, 02:53 PM
I want to thank everyone for chiming in.
My lead screw is a 2.5mm pitch, I believe this equates to a travel of .098425197" per revolution (however this screw has a 10:1 gear on the stepper).

Hoss, the high step count on the G540 was what always concerned me and made me feel I was losing potential speed thru ultra high resolution. I never saw a way to change it with the G540. Using the calibration tool within Mach determined that amount of steps per unit.

If the above pitch and respective travel per revolution is correct (disregarding the gearing as if it was a direct drive). If I understand right, my steppers being 100 steps per revolution would equate to .00098425197" per step? Theoretically? This resolution would be quite sufficient if still not overkill for me it would seem. Then if I understand the gearing it would reduce the travel to 1/10th of that per step. Right? That being said, wouldnt single stepping be plenty accurate in this case?

hoss2006
08-16-2011, 03:14 PM
Your resolution would be .000009 by my math.
You need to dump the 10:1 gearing and go direct drive, the machine will never attain that
kind of resolution accuracy.
That or get some decent sized steppers.
What is the oz/in of these motors and what are they going on?
Hoss

Fastest1
08-16-2011, 05:58 PM
Your resolution would be .000009 by my math.
You need to dump the 10:1 gearing and go direct drive, the machine will never attain that
kind of resolution accuracy.
That or get some decent sized steppers.
What is the oz/in of these motors and what are they going on?
Hoss
There are pros and cons to everything. At 1 time I did think of driving the screws direct and have seen it done well (Alex Cole?) The machine is Dyna Mechtronics DM2400. It is an extremely well built and accurate machine just small on travels. I do have the G0704 waiting in the wings but thought I needed to finish a few other things in the garage first. On one hand this machine works very well as is albeit a little slow. That being said it is still fast enough to break the end mill, stall the spindle, trash the part and or set up and create havoc in general. I was really just bored and wanted to change the electronics as I was doing some other stuff anyway. I assumed the reconfiguration couldnt be too difficult as I have set up about 3 machines by now. Though I had these problems or similar ones on every build. I am suspicious of my BOB (C35) and the 5056D communicating. I see that with a port tester, the pins are changing when axis are moved but nothing happens whatsoever.