PDA

View Full Version : Two servomotors on a common A-axis??

RotorRouter
09-22-2005, 05:36 PM
The requirement is for an A-axis that is 11 ft. long and it must be driven from both ends.

The use of one servomotor and servodrive, plus an 11-ft X-shaft would work. However, I am wondering if this requirement might be achieved by using two servomotors and servodrives WITHOUT having to use up two of Mach3's available axis.

Would the single Mach3 be able to feed data to two servodrives, perhaps through opti-isolators? In addition, could the Error signals from the two servodrives go through and OR-gate before being passed on to Mach3?

The application is rotary, therefor no Limits should be required. In addition, would a single Home at one end of the axis do the job?

A weird but serious question from an ignorant person.

ger21
09-22-2005, 08:45 PM
Just try using the step and direction from a single axis intoboth drives. if there is enough current, it will work.

RotorRouter
09-23-2005, 12:39 AM
ger21,

Thanks for the answer.

I now see that the error signal does not go back to the Mack3.

Evodyne
09-23-2005, 03:52 AM
The requirement is for an A-axis that is 11 ft. long and it must be driven from both ends.

The use of one servomotor and servodrive, plus an 11-ft X-shaft would work. However, I am wondering if this requirement might be achieved by using two servomotors and servodrives WITHOUT having to use up two of Mach3's available axis.

Would the single Mach3 be able to feed data to two servodrives, perhaps through opti-isolators? In addition, could the Error signals from the two servodrives go through and OR-gate before being passed on to Mach3?

The application is rotary, therefor no Limits should be required. In addition, would a single Home at one end of the axis do the job?

A weird but serious question from an ignorant person.

I've had a similar question about a linear application. I've got two longish ball screws, but want an axis with double the travel. I can put the motors/screws together extension ladder style, but like you, I was wondering about the control. Just want it to look like a single, longer screw.

An ignorant but serious comment from a weird person-Lance :eek:

RotorRouter
09-24-2005, 02:26 PM
Evodyne,

I'm beginning to think that a mechanical solution may be more reliable then an electrical one.