PDA

View Full Version : Will the HF Micro Mill work?

linus186
09-21-2005, 04:57 PM
Hi Everyone,
I'm having some trouble finding out what mill I will need. Basically, I want to buy 2x2 6061 aluminum and cut it to 2.5" long pieces. Then, I need a 1" dia. cut all the way through one end to a depth of 3/8" (along the 2.5" length). I'm trying to make a mount that will clamp around a 1" bar. Other than that cut, the rest will be drilled holes/tapped holes so I should be Ok. Please help. Also, if you know anywhere to get parts machined for reasonable then please let me know. That may be a better alternative.

Has anyone ever used emachineshop.com? I designed one part of my mounts and they're quite expensive. Is their pricing what I can expect from other machine shops? I only need small quantities now until I hopefully get my project off the ground.

Thanks!

rustyolddo
09-22-2005, 01:38 PM
Emachineshop is expensive compared to the average job shop. Post your request and if possible, a drawing in the RFQ forum. There are a number of folks there that will quote you a price.

As for the micro mill, I doubt it would do the job for you. For the $300 it costs, pluss tooling, you could have alot of your parts made.

linus186
09-22-2005, 01:41 PM
Thanks, I'll start there.

phantomcow2
09-22-2005, 08:54 PM
it would not be worth buying the micro mill for just this one job.
But for the record, its a very nice mill. I got a Y axis extend kit yesterday, amazing.

linus186
09-22-2005, 10:44 PM
Well, i just got a quote for my brackets and it was about $200 for one set. At that rate, even if I only make a few, buying the mill would still be worth it. I may end up making quite a few if my project takes off.

Can you make high-quality products or do they look rough and unfinished? Also, my main questions was could I mill a 2x2x2.5" piece of aluminum on the micro mill? I have to make a 1" dia cut on one end all the way through but only 3/8" in towards the centerline of the 1" part, if that makes sense. Can that be done on the micro mill? I'm guessing I'll need a rotary table to handle that size diameter. The rest of the mounts should be possible. Can you attach a 1" end mill and plunge it 2" through the whole piece? thanks

linus186
09-22-2005, 10:48 PM
........................|
.........................\
...........................|
_________________|

the dots are just to keep the spacing right

ViperTX
09-22-2005, 11:19 PM
You would actually do that with a boring head or a face mill....of course if you had a CNC mill you could just use a end mill.

Check the micro-mill specification as to the largest face mill it will handle...with the boring head you shouldn't have any problems...of course the cheapest boring head is about $80 with tooling.

phantomcow2
09-23-2005, 06:08 AM
well from little machine shop, the boring head is 50 dollars and can bore up to a 2 inch hole i think. Then you would need an adapter for the mt2, another 20, then you need 1/2" shank boring bars, another 16 or 17 from LMS. I know this because i wanted some, but its expensive so i figured its more economical to convert