PDA

View Full Version : Problem Cut2D vector issues....

craigjh
07-23-2011, 02:23 AM
Hi all,

I've come across a strange problem whilst creating a profile toolpath for the Biplane dxf file (attached) using cut2D.

On 2 of the 18 parts, when I select and "Outside" toolpath, the resulting toolpath is actually an outside plus an inside cut?

See attached screen shot for what I mean.

I checked that that vector is actually closed. When I create outside toolpaths for the other parts on the sheet, they turn out fine.

Confused...... Anyone have any ideas what's going on?

Owlsnest
07-23-2011, 03:39 AM
Hi Craig
I was able to duplicate this by using a wider cutter.
check the width of the slots against the width of your cutter

James

craigjh
07-23-2011, 08:28 AM
Hi James,

thanks for the reply. I experimented with changing the width of my cutter, with no joy.

Have fixed the problem now though. On some of the corners there was some weird small semi-circle toolpaths being created, which was then somehow causing errors with the rest of the toolpath. I have no idea why? But have experienced similar things before with Cut2D.

Anyway, I fixed it by re-drawing the offending corners using circles, then node editing to clean it up. Took a while......pain in the bum, but all good now.

Would still love to hear from anyone who could shed some light on this apparent glitch in the program?

ger21
07-23-2011, 10:19 AM
Would still love to hear from anyone who could shed some light on this apparent glitch in the program?

My opinion, is that the issue lies with the .dxf file.
All the entities in the .dxf are splines, which are the worst possible type to use. I believe that splines in .dxf files can be interpreted in multiple ways, which can lead to issues like you're seeing.
If that .dxf was draw with lines and arcs, you wouldn't get the problem you're seeing.

craigjh
07-24-2011, 04:29 AM
Ok. Cheers for that info Gerry. I'm relatively new to CNC, splines is something I haven't heard of before.

That whole Biplane dxf file is quite messy (downloaded from somewhere here on the zone), but has served as a bit of a Cut2D lesson for me. I've worked out a lot of things that I wouldn't have known before.