PDA

View Full Version : Remachining removing too much material

mspaw
07-18-2011, 07:23 PM
I apologize in advance that I don't have an image to show exactly whats going on but Ill post one tonight if I can. In short i'm new to madcam so it may just be user error but after running a zlevel remachining pass on my current project I noticed that there was a visible delineation where the pass had run, i.e. it looks like more material was removed than the base level of the model. I had been using a 1/16 ball end mill and wanted to use a 1mm ball end to get into the features that the previous pass couldn't reach.

Im sure without a file or images im barking up a tree but im just wondering if there is a best practice or something important I might have missed that would lead to this behavior.

Thanks!

-Michael

mspaw
07-18-2011, 10:31 PM
Heres a sample of what im working on. The over all width of the plaque is 6" and the finishing was all done with a 1/16 ball end mill. The small features down by the cowcatcher are less than 1mm wide so Id like to get back in there with a 0.5mm ball. Is there a better way to do this or if im on the right path are there any things I need to do or not do to make sure that only the material that i need to remove gets cut?

Thanks!

-Michael

http://morphographic.com/CNC/TrainPlaque_Remachining_ZLevel_01.jpg

svenakela
07-20-2011, 04:00 AM
If you do a simulation, does it make visible cutouts as well?
Is the pencil tracing tool correctly zeroed?
Did you make the Rhino settings according to the MadCam help instructions?

Regards,
Sven

Dan B
07-20-2011, 06:32 AM
Also....

Which direction are you cutting (climb or conventional)? Those are some tiny cutters so deflection is possible. You didn't mention the material. I've seen tiny cutters get "sucked in" to corners when conventional cutting. It would be more evident on vertical walls then it would on the horizontal surfaces. Is that what you are seeing?

Dan