PDA

View Full Version : Newbie PDF files, multiple lines, RC foam cutting

red2
07-15-2011, 08:40 PM
Hi. Total CNC noob here. I want to use a cutting table to cut 6mm depron foam. I found PDF files (plans) for an RC plane that I want. I converted the PDF file to DXF, but a lot of the lines in the plans are many lines, one on top of the other. The cutter would try to cut the same line, maybe a dozen times, all over the plans. The "cut file" comes out too large, for the number of parts being cut.

I need software that takes all of these redundant lines in a PDF or DXF drawing, and converts them to a single line, in each case of multiple lines. I can't be the first guy who needs this, but a few searches of the forums here did not help.

Thanks,
Red2

cncshaper
07-19-2011, 03:21 PM
Hi,
I use a combination of Notepad, Profscan, MSExcel and Solidworks to make custom Dat files for my CNC foan cutter.
I don't think there is any software that can remove unwanted lines by itself, how does it know what to keep and what to delete???
You will have to find a combination of programs that can do what you need.

Emanuele.

red2
07-19-2011, 07:22 PM
Hi,
I use a combination of Notepad, Profscan, MSExcel and Solidworks to make custom Dat files for my CNC foan cutter.
I don't think there is any software that can remove unwanted lines by itself, how does it know what to keep and what to delete???
You will have to find a combination of programs that can do what you need.
Emanuele.
Emanuele,

A single "screen capture" of the complete plans would do the job, if it could be made into a DXF file (or something just as good), rather than a pixelated picture file. All redundant lines would be shown as a single line, then, and no important lines would be lost.

I can't see how NotePad would be of any help, unless I was editing a text file of data points by hand, to delete the redundant lines.

Thanks,
Red

cncshaper
07-20-2011, 01:10 AM
Hi Red,
Are you using a hotwire or router to cut the parts and what software do you use to control your machine?

red2
07-20-2011, 08:36 AM
Hi Red,
Are you using a hotwire or router to cut the parts and what software do you use to control your machine?
cncshaper,

BobCAD handles the drawing/editing, and the machine itself runs on the manufacturer's very old native software. This software does not seem to have a name, or even a version number, other than the vendor's name.

I would use a flex-shaft hobby grinder with a router bit, if I can find a handpiece that mounts in a .5" hole (the pen holder of the cutting head).
http://www.ehobbytools.com/contents/media/95812s.jpg

The CNC table usually cuts sailcloth on a grand scale with a circular "pizza-knife" cutter. The pen holder is used for drawing out the full-scale sail pattern on butcher paper, before the knife hits expensive Dacron.

Adding a handpiece/cutter to the pen holder would be simple. Changing out the "pizza-cutter" knife for a router would be insanely complicated. I'm working within the downtime of a professional sailmaker, and when the CNC sail table is needed, my project has to be gone within minutes.

I may have to use a hotwire, though, if no handpiece can fit into the pen holder. Any help in finding a small (0.5" diameter) handpiece, or any good alternative to cut foam, would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Red2