PDA

View Full Version : New Machine Build New Dynatorch Ready to Cut, Need help

Westendcages
07-08-2011, 03:13 PM
I know this sounds crazy but I left my old career as a Realtor and bought a Dynatorch cause I thought they were cool as hell. My problem is I don't know what I'm doing, I've never used cad software and such. I have Adobe Illustrator, photoshop, Draftsight CAD, some other freeware and the Dynatorch software. How do I change the picture using photoshop to the correct format, then import into Dynatorch. Is there a forum for using photoshop, Walt said he has customers using it and I can't seem to find what I'm looking for on google. everything I find is about special effects, I just need to know how to outline and create a dxf file from a pic. doesn't seem to hard, does anybody use photoshop or Illustrator for art on there Plasma. Can use all the help I can get.I need it to start making me some money. Thanks, here are a couple of pics of the table

WSS
07-08-2011, 05:38 PM
Check out http://plasmaspider.com/index.php they have lots of talent there with drawings. Guys like Jason Henry and Gary DeWitt hang out there and offer good advice.

Both signtorch (Gary) and Cascade (Jason) files cut nice on the DT and are a good value to start with to get your feet wet with DXF files. You can customize and add text and stuff to them or even combine drawings.

Did you get the we-cim/cuttingshop software?

WSS

Edwardo
07-10-2011, 11:57 PM
Here is part 1 of a video tutorial series for converting bitmaps to vector art using adobe.

YouTube - ‪Art to CNC Video 1 - CNC Tutorials - CNC Plasma - CNC ...‬‏

EDD

Westendcages
07-11-2011, 12:50 PM
Thanks I'm already a member of PS, I just don't use it like I should. I know I can buy some files, but I need to be able to make them myself from hand drawn pics and such, I know it can be done.No I didn't buy We-Cim but it looks as if I need to, I just need to make some money before I spend a bunch more, I'm just trying to use the free stuff I already have. I have Adobe Illustrator I just don't know how to use it, I thought it would be easier to figure out, had to buy some books. I was looking for some shortcuts to make my learning curve less steep.

WSS
07-11-2011, 02:00 PM
On Friday a guy came in looking to get four parts cut out of 3/4" plate. He had only a sample to go by. I took a phone pic and sent it via bluetooth to my DT computer and opened cuttingshop and "imported raster" the same phone pic. I hand traced it in two minutes and saved it as dxf, then opened in autocad to size it correctly (the slot had to be 2.1"), saved and went to we-cim, let it apply leads and exported as a cnc file. Total time from picture to cut parts was half an hour, now I was already cutting with oxy so I just used oxy for it instead of plasma.

I am sure I sound like a broken record but the premium software (we-cim/cutting shop) from DT is worth every penny and then some. The on-line training from Gary is very helpful and gets you up to speed fast. This really shortens the learning curve.

Note: when using a jpg as a raster in cutting shop, a scan is much better. I have a 11x17 flatbed that I use just for this. The dimensions are usually within a few thousandths. The phone pic will get the correct shape but is usually way off size wise, so you gotta scale it.

Have fun!
WSS