PDA

View Full Version : What a STEAL!

musicmkr
09-07-2005, 06:33 AM
I've been contemplating my third CNC project and this time I wanted something rigid enough to do some metal work, but small enough to fit in my apartment. Since my previous machines were all custom built I figured that's the path I would take this time as well.

That all changed once I received an e-mail coupon for 20% off any one item at Harbor Freight yesterday. Without delay I hopped in the car and headed down to the local HF store with coupon in hand.

I picked up their Micro Mill for $239.99, no tax, no shipping, that's it.

There is no possible way to build a 3 axis machine for that price on my own. So now instead of grinding ways this weekend, I'll be wiring steppers.

I CAN'T WAIT!

itsme
09-07-2005, 10:42 AM
Hi there,

It sounds like you got a great bargain - nice!!!

Have you joined the Yahoo group for these machines?

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hf47158toCNC/

They're excellent little machines and well suited to CNC conversions. There's lots of information on the Yahoo group that is specific to the Micro Mill and lots of people who have done conversions on these machines.

Regards
Warren

Runner4404spd
09-07-2005, 11:29 AM
too bad i deleted that email without reading it....

anoel
09-07-2005, 11:41 AM
I picked up my Micro-Mill at the HF store for like $175.00 + $30 for the Extended Waranty for A total of $205.00 and that was with no sale going on... Just a little chat with one of the guys in the store. I can pick up the big $999 mill anytime for $799 wether it's on sale or not. The HF Store guys will really hook you up on the Big ticket items.

mxpro32
09-08-2005, 07:35 PM
I am looking to get one of the big mills from my local harbor freight, but i've been waiting for it to go on sale. It would sure be nice to get it sooner though. will any harbor freight give you the sale price when asked? or do you know someone who works there. How do I sign up for their email coupons?

ShayArnett
09-08-2005, 07:57 PM
Please be sure and document your cnc process heavily :D I have a micro-mill on the way and steppers sitting here staring me in the face. I know there is a yahoo group for the machine but i don't see how anyone can get any info from there.... it's so horribly un-organized. I wouldn't care to host a website with cnc retro fit plans/pics on my webserver if i could get a well documented procedure.

anoel
09-08-2005, 11:34 PM
Shay... the problem with the Micro-Mill conversion is that nobody has done it the same way...

Looks like Sterling Steele is going to be coming out with a mechanicals retro-fit kit soon, if they can stick to the time line taht they are shooting for.

gmfoster
09-11-2005, 09:38 PM
Shay... the problem with the Micro-Mill conversion is that nobody has done it the same way...

Looks like Sterling Steele is going to be coming out with a mechanicals retro-fit kit soon, if they can stick to the time line taht they are shooting for.

Tha CAMS CNC group is doing a group type CNC conversion on these. This is in the DC area.

Garry

KDN Tool
09-12-2005, 12:25 PM
www.kdntool.com
We have been supplying micro & mini-mill kits for over two years now. We also offer ala-carte part selection to save you some $$ from the complete kit.

Regards,
Ken
KDN Tool

unterhaus
09-12-2005, 08:23 PM
With what I want to do with it, I don't think the extended warranty makes much sense. If I could get the mini-mill for less than $200, I'd jump on it.

Aksess
09-13-2005, 06:53 AM
anoel! I had a simmilar instance I was talking to one of the people in the store about it and he asked me if I would like one. I told him that I would but it was way to high. He asked me if he made a good deal would I buy one. He turned out to be the store manager and let me have it for around $175 like the deal you got. He said that they didnt sell but maby 2 a year and had 3 in stock and just wanted to move one.

musicmkr
09-13-2005, 12:41 PM

That's for sure! Just so I don't break tradition I'll be CNC'ing it a way that is different than any conversions I have seen.

In order to make this "Benchtop" mill into a "Desktop" mill I will be building a full enclosure around it. Most of the conversions I have seen have the steppers hanging off each axis by several inches and that would require a very large enclosure and a lot of desk space.

After a lot of thought I've come up with yet another method to do the CNC conversion that will conserve as much footprint space as possible. I'll attempt to keep a project log, but I have not been very good at that with my previous two projects so don't expect much more than finished product photos.

unterhaus
09-13-2005, 03:03 PM
That's for sure! Just so I don't break tradition I'll be CNC'ing it a way that is different than any conversions I have seen.
That's funny, I was going to say the same thing. I don't know what else I'd change, but absent the existence of a really low priced kit that does things the way I'd do them, I can't see following anyone's example too closely. I've got some small brushless motors I'd like to use, and a lot of other parts that should work. I'm not the kind of person that follows plans too closely, I usually just scrutinize other people's plans so I can copy any really good ideas.

pminmo
09-13-2005, 06:17 PM
SO how do you get a 20% off coupon from HF?

musicmkr
09-14-2005, 12:03 PM
SO how do you get a 20% off coupon from HF?

I get them all the time, I'm not sure if I signed up for a mailing list, or if they just start coming after you make a purchase.

All the coupons have a "ID" on them but I get these things sent to three different email addresses, and they all have the same ID every time.

PM me your email address and I'll forward you yesterday's coupon.