PDA

View Full Version : Experience with shipping

dave1987
09-06-2005, 11:19 PM
I am looking to aquire a mill/drill, I am interested in Grizzly but I will not be able to be at home for delivery. I may have to go with HF so that i can pick up the mill at my own convinience (we have a store in town). What is the general experience with shipping from Grizzly, Enco etc.? Grizzly mentions a possibility of picking things up at a freight terminal. Any help with experience is apreciated. Also those people who don't have heavy lifting devices engine crane etc. how did you assemble your mill or were did you go to rent a lifting device?

ViperTX
09-07-2005, 12:48 AM
Most rental yards have automotive engine hoists that you can rent...but would only use them for items that are under 1400 lbs or so, if larger then that then you'll need a heavy duty fork lift....

When my Jet mill/drill was delivered the delivery guy moved the crate into my garage. I disassembled the unit....took off the motor....had a few friends help me lift the head off / on once the stand was assembled. The last time I moved it I rented a truck with a lift.

You should also consider hiring a rigging company if the machine is 2000 lbs or heavier