PDA

View Full Version : v-rail vs linear slide

Shed Hunter
06-09-2011, 06:27 PM
I tried searching & I can’t find the exact answer I am looking for.

I love the site, awesome builds & tons of great information. I have much more learning to do…so go easy on me!

Ok, I ordered a TM1 (5’x10’). If I would have found this site earlier; I probably wouldn’t have bought the TM. However, I am stuck with it now. On a positive note; I will probably need the tech support when it comes time for wiring…

Anyways, my question:
I do not like the TM1 design, specifically the cam followers/cold rold steel, gantry setup. I would like to make my own setup using linear slides. After reading build threads on here; I noticed many guys/gals run v-rails. I am assuming that v-rails are cheaper? Should I run linear rails or v-rail?

Any advice would be much appreciated. When I get farther along I will be modeling the whole table. I will post a 3D PDF here. I would like for you guys to shoot holes in the design. Thanks for the help

millman52
06-12-2011, 09:24 AM
I tried searching & I can’t find the exact answer I am looking for.

I love the site, awesome builds & tons of great information. I have much more learning to do…so go easy on me!

Ok, I ordered a TM1 (5’x10’). If I would have found this site earlier; I probably wouldn’t have bought the TM. However, I am stuck with it now. On a positive note; I will probably need the tech support when it comes time for wiring…

Anyways, my question:
I do not like the TM1 design, specifically the cam followers/cold rold steel, gantry setup. I would like to make my own setup using linear slides. After reading build threads on here; I noticed many guys/gals run v-rails. I am assuming that v-rails are cheaper? Should I run linear rails or v-rail?

Any advice would be much appreciated. When I get farther along I will be modeling the whole table. I will post a 3D PDF here. I would like for you guys to shoot holes in the design. Thanks for the help

If it were me I'd use V rail along 1 side of the table only. this will give you the straight in line tracking you need. The opposite side I'd use the cam followers but only on the top & bottom of the CR flat bar. I'd do away with the ones on the edges of the CR Flat. The V rail on the opposite side will keep the gantry running straight.

For the gantry I'd use 80/20 alum. Mount linear rail & bearing cassette(s) for that.

I'd also check into the possibility of adding a second drive motor on the long axis & do away with the jack shaft

Shed Hunter
06-13-2011, 10:24 AM
Thanks.
I was planning on doing everything you said.

What do you think about a linear slide on one side of the X, and v rail on the other side (2 motors, one on each side)?

millman52
06-13-2011, 03:30 PM
Thanks.
I was planning on doing everything you said.

What do you think about a linear slide on one side of the X, and v rail on the other side (2 motors, one on each side)?

It's my personal opinion that a guided rail on both sides of a plasma/ox fuel table is not needed. 1 side is plenty to guide it in a straight line. Also if the gantry absorbs enough heat to "grow" while cutting you are eliminating the chance of binding. The very reason I suggested you not use the cam follower rollers along the edge of the CRR.

Dynatorch tables have v rail along 1 side & cam followers rolling along the top side of the gear rack on the other for example.

My table is designed in a similar fashion. I didn't use v rail but in effect it's the same design.

Shed Hunter
06-14-2011, 11:31 AM
If I wanted to add an engraver or router later, would the tool pressure try and lift the gantry on the roller side?

millman52
06-15-2011, 07:24 AM
Probably be ok with an engraver as your gantry will most likely weigh over 100#. With a router you need linear rail both sides.

Shed Hunter
06-15-2011, 10:02 AM
Probably be ok with an engraver as your gantry will most likely weigh over 100#. With a router you need linear rail both sides.

Thanks. Not sure if I will want a router or not... Guess I better figure it out!

millman52
06-15-2011, 12:24 PM
Thanks. Not sure if I will want a router or not... Guess I better figure it out!

Just to think about.......

Plasma/Ox-fuel machines create quite literally buckets full of nearly baby powder fine "BLACK" dust. It gets everywhere.

Personally I can't imagine getting a table & it's surroundings clean enough to be able to do router work without leaving black smudges on all your fresh cut wood products.

Then there is the conversion project back to plasma. Sort of the same thing except the dust & chips are flamable.

Not saying it can't be done. merely that you may spend hours in the cleaning processes.

Shed Hunter
06-15-2011, 12:45 PM
Just to think about.......

Plasma/Ox-fuel machines create quite literally buckets full of nearly baby powder fine "BLACK" dust. It gets everywhere.

Personally I can't imagine getting a table & it's surroundings clean enough to be able to do router work without leaving black smudges on all your fresh cut wood products.

Then there is the conversion project back to plasma. Sort of the same thing except the dust & chips are flamable.

Not saying it can't be done. merely that you may spend hours in the cleaning processes.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I'm going to stick to strictly plasma & maybe add an engraver in the future.

I have another question for you (if that's ok). It seems it is a sensitive question with the TorchMate folks (and I can understand that).

Anyways, I would like to add another stepper motor. I would like to order this motor from someone besides TM & save some $. I am not familiar with the software yet. So can I add any motor I want...?

millman52
06-15-2011, 01:26 PM
I really am not familiar with TM's hardware/software so I really can't advise you how expandable the TM1 stuff is.

There are others on the board here that are better qualified to answer your motor question.

In general though you should be able to use about anyones stepper motor as long as the values are the same..... voltage current draw etc.

You can't just wire another stepper parallel with the one that came with the system. It has to be slaved to the same axis for a dual drive & will require it's on driver, connections, etc.

Shed Hunter
06-15-2011, 02:46 PM
The kit came with a 380 oz stepper for the X, and a 380 OZ stepper for the Y. I was thinking it would be easy to use both of those for the X, and order a new one for the Y. I would try and order a stepper with the same specs.

As long as that wouldn't create a problem w/the hardware/software.... ?