PDA

View Full Version : Best Bit for Rough Hogging hardwood?

danielcoyle
06-05-2011, 01:50 PM
Looking for advice on a project that requires A LOT of wood hogging. Trying to minimize the time per piece by finding the most effective bit/feedrate/rpm etc. Also looking for where to find 1/2" -3/4" shanks that have relatively large diameter AND reach.

Thanks for any feedback.

ger21
06-05-2011, 02:02 PM
These will cut at ridiculously high feed rates. What kind of wood, what kind of machine, and how deep per pass?

Vortex Tool: Three Flute Upcut Roughing Tool - Series 1600 (http://www.vortextool.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=17)

danielcoyle
06-05-2011, 02:30 PM
Thanks for that. Saw those bits in a web search and they look good. But expensive. What rates and rpms do they run well at? How well do they hold up and can they be resharpened?

The machine I am using now is a Shop Sabre with a 7 hp motor, ball screws and stepper motors. Been running freud two flute straight and round nose bits at 12000 rpm and 100 ipm so far in prototyping with maple, walnut and myrtle wood. 1/2 inch shank with 1.25 diam heads.

Due to the machine geometry I need a bit that has more overall length than these two bits (which are just under 3").

ger21
06-05-2011, 09:30 PM
I've never cut hardwood with them, but I've cut 1" plywood at 500ipm in 1 pass with no problems with a 1/2" 2 flute version. They barely even make any noise.
They tend to last quite a bit longer than regular spiral bits, and yes, they can be sharpened.

I had a job cutting 40 sheets of Avonite solid surface, that was so abrasive, I was getting chips with a new bit after 3 sheets. By using this tool to rough, and a regular spiral to do the finish pass, I cut the entire job with 1 of each tool, and the roughing bit was still going strong.

I got an email from them Friday explaining the cost issues. Apparently the cost of carbide is skyrocketing.

If you add 2 or more bits to your cart, you should see a substantial discount.