PDA

View Full Version : Mecsoftis very uptight.

billmiller
04-22-2011, 03:16 PM
I didn't know Mecsoft had such a tight security on their educational licenses???? WTH?? I sent a copy of my paystub, id and wrote a letter stating how I was going to use the software from my school. They called my boss and questioned them about me and what I needed the software for. My boss has no clue what CAM software is.

I teach Rhino as digital sculpture in a high school and want to buy RhinoCAM for our cnc router. I thought that was pretty strait forward. They are acting like I have no business purchasing educational software. They want a letter from my boss because you know teachers cant be trusted?????? Can you tell Im a little offended? So just to let everyone know, Mecsoft is very uptight. :mad:

I have never had a problem like this before. I am purchasing through Novedge. They should have given me the heads up about Mecsofts tight policy.

awerby
04-22-2011, 04:45 PM
Software manufacturers sell their products to educational users at a much lower rate than to the public in general, so they need to be sure that people aren't cheating - it's nothing personal. Each company sets their own policy in this regard, so the terms and conditions vary widely, from no academic discounts offered at all to a fairly wide-open arrangement where all one needs to show is a copy of a student, faculty or staff ID to get a big cut in price. Mecsoft's policy is somewhere in the middle. They offer a very generous discount: $1000 for a 5-user lab license for their Pro version which normally costs $4000 per seat. But they don't offer this to individuals, either students or teachers. The school itself has to sign up for it, usually by issuing a purchase order, and it remains the school's property.

The reason they handle it this way is that the object of the discount is not to confer a benefit on people who happen to work in schools, but to get their software into the hands of as many students as possible. There's no cause to be offended, but you're right - your dealer should have advised you how this is structured, and worked with your school to get the right paperwork in order instead of leaving it all to you.

I've been a Mecsoft dealer for many years, and consider them one of the best companies I work with. They are a family-run US-based company which produces a superior product at a reasonable price. Their technical support is top-notch, they don't charge the high "maintenance" fees that have become common in this industry, and I've always found them pretty easy to deal with. If you can't get your school to issue a purchase order, which is the usual way this is done, and nobody will write a letter confirming that this is a school purchase, you might consider just getting a copy for yourself - the entry-level RhinoCAM package is fairly inexpensive, and it certainly has enough features to keep your high-school students busy, even if they have to take turns generating their G-code.

By the way, that sounds like a really interesting class - your students are on the forefront of both art and technology. I'd like to hear more about it.

Andrew Werby
ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software (http://www.computersculpture.com)

billmiller
04-22-2011, 06:07 PM
Chill pill taken. I'm better now. Mecsoft offers a great product. I have run through the demo version and really like its simplicity. I have been using Edgcam and its really deep. Its really a pain for me to use and I have been saving up my money for Rinocam or VisualMill. I think it was you that advised me to go for Rhinocam? Oh by the way I have viewed your website over the past years many times. Excellent work!

billmiller
04-22-2011, 06:25 PM
So I purchased the single seat for myself. Now I'm going to have to write another grant to purchase it for school. The bureaucratic school just boggs down the process so much that it would take me 3-6 months just to get what I could pay for myself. They are closing this years budgets and getting ready to re-budget next years.

Meanwhile here in Ohio they have Senate Bill 5 and everyone is cutting diamonds in their shorts wondering if the govt will taketh away.

awerby
04-23-2011, 05:02 PM
It's got a very nice integration with Rhino; they really act like one program. Sorry to hear about your budget crunch - it seems to be happening everywhere, all of a sudden. And of course the first thing they'll cut is anything to do with art - even if it's the one thing that's keeping a lot of kids from dropping out of school, and the one class where they're actually learning something they'll remember after the test. But don't get me started...

Oh, and thanks for the kind words about my site!

Andrew Werby
ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software (http://www.computersculpture.com)