PDA

View Full Version : Problem Path for thread milling

KSPATZ
03-31-2011, 09:49 AM
Hell to all

does anyone have idea how I could generate the path for tread milling????
Does it use a curve path??

Kind regards
Kersten

Dan B
03-31-2011, 12:32 PM
Just to be clear, you are talking about milling a thread and not tapping, correct?

We do our thread milling with the controller. We've never used CAM for that. However, you could probably model the helix in Rhino to the right pitch and the correct distance from the part and use the Along Curve toolpath. I've never tried that so I can't say whether it works well or not.

Do you have a controller that supports a thread milling cycle?

Dan

KSPATZ
03-31-2011, 12:46 PM
Hi Dan,

thank you for fast reply!
Enclosed you could find picture for the tool I will use for thread.
I don't know if this is the tool you mean for tapping???
It should be able to make threads with high speed spindles.
Enclosed you could see pichture of such tool.

Kind regards
Kersten

Dan B
03-31-2011, 01:33 PM
Yes, that looks like a thread milling tool. I would again suggest that you see if your controller supports thread milling cycles. That's going to be your best bet here. Other then that, the Along Curve toolpath would probably do what you need. Just be careful to include a lead in and out in your file and make sure the direction of the curve is what you want. I don't want to necessarily say you need to start at the top because on a RH thread this will conventional cut. We start at the bottom and mill up. Obviously on a LH thread the reverse is true.

Good luck with this one.

Dan

cbr_speedster
03-31-2011, 03:14 PM
This type of tool is programmed from the top _ down. What dia. & pitch thread are you trying to create? Also, what depth?

Dan B
03-31-2011, 03:31 PM
Is that specific to this type of tool? In our Heidenhain controller a climb cut on a RH thread starts at the bottom and cuts up.

cbr_speedster
03-31-2011, 07:58 PM
That's right, climb out, conventional in, just like you said, But, conventional in, actually creates a very nice thread. Both directions work. With a solid carbide threadmill I start on the bottom and use a macro to create the tool path. Remember, climb milling isn't always the preferred method in machining.

KSPATZ
04-01-2011, 02:33 AM
Hi cbr_speedster

fine to hear that you have solved this request.
Please tell me where I could get such macro you use.

Our threads are from M2....M4, but certainly with different tools.
Depth is max 4mm.

Kersten

KSPATZ
04-01-2011, 02:38 AM
Hi Dan,

one question I have to your enclosed picture:
Which version of MADCAM you use?
The menue which is shown in your picture I only could find partiall.
e.g. the 2nd button "TEXT" and the 3rd button with "100" I miss in my menue??!

Kersten

Kiwi
04-01-2011, 04:01 AM
For a thread you may be better writing the code by hand.
Code like this will create a helix path.
G02 X2 Y0 I-2 J0 Z-4 K1

Dan B
04-01-2011, 07:00 AM
Hi Kersten,

I'm using madCAM 4.3 beta, but those are my own buttons I added for our purposes. They are tools we use for cleaning up text for engraving. It's unlikely that they would be useful to you. It slipped my mind that I had custom buttons on that toolbar when I made the screen shot.

cbr_speedster, you are correct. We don't do enough thread milling to be even remotely considered experts at it. Next time it comes up we'll try a conventional cut and see how it looks (although our results with climb cutting threads have been impressive).

Dan

cbr_speedster
04-01-2011, 08:11 AM
Kersten
The macro I use only works with SmartCAM. The 2 & 4mm holes are pretty small for threadmilling. Why not just tap them? Threadmilling small holes with a single point tool like that takes more time than rigid tapping. Rollform tapping might be better to eleminate chips if tapping a blind hole. Something to think about.

KSPATZ
04-08-2011, 11:43 AM
Hi cbr_speedster and all which help me

it looks difficult to use tapping, because our thread isn't through hole. Total thickness material is 5mm, thread should have depth of 3.5mm! This is our problem.
The quantity of thread will reach 500...1k / job. This isn't possible to make by hand and outsourcing only for threadmilling is no good idea!
Another way I see is mill a box for a screw and glue a flat screw into box?? It also don't look nice and need a lot of time!
Any other ideas to make a good job??

Kersten

Dan B
04-08-2011, 12:13 PM
Hi Kersten,

So it's not a threaded hole you are talking about, it's an external thread? (See screenshot).

Thanks,

Dan

KSPATZ
04-08-2011, 12:46 PM
Hi Dan B,

thank you for reply!
Enclosed you could find picture for tread M3 which is requested.

Kind regards
Kersten

Dan B
04-08-2011, 12:52 PM
I guess I really misunderstood!!

A bottoming tap won't work for you?