PDA

View Full Version : RFQ - Bandsaw blade guide support

ej4
03-27-2011, 02:19 AM
Hi folks -
Looking for a quote from any home machinists on the attached. It's a support for a blade guide on a bandsaw. The ears broke off and was welded on and brazed on. I said screw it - it needs replaced.

Notes:
- original material is cast iron; was figuring on having replacement machined from steel.
- attached drawings (sorry they are sketchup, so they are lousy) show the important dimensions, the rest aren't really all that critical, as you can see from the pics of the assembly.
- the hole dimensions are the actual size of the shafts that go in them; the holes should be slightly larger for a slip fit.
- I don't need it to be pretty; don't need roundovers, don't need angled sides. As you can see, my drawing doesn't match the original.
- The most important dimensions are the slip fit for the shafts, and the relationship of the two large holes to each other.
- I only need the cast iron piece shown, not the rod.
- For the right person, I'm willing to send you the original if it's any help

Not shown in the dwg (see pics)
- there needs to be a threaded set screw in the smaller dia hole to hold the rod in. don't care the size - make it appropriate
- there is a slot in the top where a capscrew tightens it onto a shaft; couldn't get sketchup to show it, but you can see it in the pic. I'd actually prefer that those ears were solid for the full 1.125" height; i.e. not ears at all, since they broke on the original.
- the tightening screw is threaded on one side, not on the other, so it will cinch it down on the shaft; don't care the size - make it appropriate

I'm on the west coast (sacramento area). I'm not gonna sit around with a micrometer to see if what you give me is perfect to the drawing; I'm looking for something that is functional, and if I have to tweak it with a grinder I'm fine with that. I just don't have a mill to bore the holes accurately, and can't afford a minimum lot cost or NRE from a formal shop.

Lemme know what you think or if you need addtl data to quote. I'm looking for qty=1, turn time 1-3 weeks.
Thanks!

(as a side note - I considered getting a solid casting done of the original and then getting that machined out - if you think that's a better route, let me know)

ej4
04-04-2011, 12:38 AM
Quick bump; would it help if I provided ProE drawings?

Also, I didn't mean to make it sound in the original post like I'm cheap and want it done for free :-) I know that good work costs. I'm just really hoping I don't have to go the emachineshop.com route.

I'll bump this once, just in case there is any more interest, and will leave it at that. Maybe this will be my excuse to buy a mill and do it myself...

Thanks all.

beekeeper
04-04-2011, 10:18 AM
I can do this part for $125.00 including material. you pay shipping thanks

Farold Hoover
Pro Machine Engineering

ej4
04-05-2011, 12:41 AM
Thanks - beekeeper, I pm'd you.

I got a few PMs on this will start from there. I shoulda' done some formal 2d drawings from the start - duh. lol