PDA

View Full Version : JOBS SHOPS in Florida? CNC, Solidworks, small lot runs?

squale
03-18-2011, 12:24 PM
I have my own mechanical engineering business... I develop all my products in Solidworks and I have machine shops make my parts to my print. I am looking for shops in Florida that specialize in small lot runs, prototyping stuff, and quick turn-around times.

The shop would need to have CNC turning and CNC milling capability. Surface Grinding and EDM are also a plus.

It would be GREAT if the shop took Solidworks part files as well.

I have a good amount of work to keep a shop busy. I am moving my business down to florida this year and want to build a network of machine shops. Preferably shops on the west coast of florida would be better as I'm going to have my office around the Sarasota area.

Thanks all!

denmar
03-18-2011, 03:37 PM
Why dont u move to California?; weather is better here!!!

squale
03-18-2011, 04:02 PM
I'm afraid to even visit CA because I might want to move there!!! it's just too far from back home in jersey

Icy
03-20-2011, 03:28 AM
It would be GREAT if the shop took Solidworks part files as well.

Just so you know:

Step files, ".stp" extension, can work on any cad system and into most (if not all) cnc programming softwares.

squale
03-20-2011, 09:50 AM
isn't there different version of step files? what is the best version to use for my solidworks model and assembly exports? many shops seem to use MasterCAM X so I want them to get the best import possible..

Donkey Hotey
03-20-2011, 01:09 PM
Step 203 and Step 214 are the two different versions. I believe the difference is that 214 will actually allow you to save a whole assembly and after conversion, it wil create individual part files and an assembly again...at least in a program that supports assemblies (like between Catia and Solidworks). For a single, detail part, it shouldn't matter which type you use.

I was moving parts from both Solidworks and Catia V5 over to Mastercam 9 back in 2005. Almost anything since then should support STEP.

The most important thing is that STEP supports solids where IGS (IGES) only supports surfaces. I've had conversion issues with .IGS files not translating surfaces properly into Mastercam.

The only exception to all of this is if your end user is a Catia house. Believe it or not, Catia V5 requires an optional license to import/export STEP files. I can't imagine somebody having Catia without that license but, not all people know that it's an option, nor do some know how to activate it, even if they do have it.

jredburn
03-21-2011, 05:43 PM
squale,
My son and I have a small CNC shop in Ft Myers, We do Silver Pen parts and kits for pen turners on a small mill.
We will have a 1' x 2' table up and running in another two or three weeks, We have a CNC lathe in the shop now,
Drop me a line if you are interested
regrds
Joe

Dualkit
03-21-2011, 08:52 PM
Why dont u move to California?; weather is better here!!!

If you enjoy traffic jams, smog, and gang activity Southern California can't be beat. Lived here my whole life, getting out soon.

dstryr
03-25-2011, 03:28 PM
If you enjoy traffic jams, smog, and gang activity Southern California can't be beat. Lived here my whole life, getting out soon.

That is because you live in the south... Move up to Northern California and the experience if a lot different.

flyinchips
03-31-2011, 08:30 AM
Here is a shop that I have used and does what you're looking for:

ProtoPlus
Doug Ball
561-471-5325

He is located in West Palm Beach. His business is dedicated to prototypes and small runs. He does amazing things with EDM. (At least it impresses me.) He also has the capability to do short run "stamping" prototypes for spring clips, battery contacts and other small complex metal forming requirements.