PDA

View Full Version : Dremel nose thread

mrosso
08-08-2005, 06:34 PM
Hey guys... Anyone know where to get a nut to fit a dremel tool spindle nose? I've looked everywhere for one. The thread is 3/4"-12 UN according to Dremel customer support. Any ideas? How much would you estimate it to cost to have someone machine a thread in a chunk of Al?

Thanks,

Mario

cbass
08-08-2005, 07:50 PM
You can't buy a replacement part from dremel directly?

Carlo

mrosso
08-08-2005, 07:56 PM
Carlo,

Thanks for replying. My mistake. I should have made my question clearer. I'm looking for a 3/4-12 thread nut to attach my dremel to the Z-Axis of my router. I'm not looking for a replacement part for the Dremel, just a way to securely mount it to my CNC machine.

Thanks,

Mario

buscht
08-09-2005, 09:21 AM
My guess is that it would cost about $50 to have a special plate with a 3/4-12 thread.

If you can figure out a way to use the existing mounting plates or clamp to the dremel body, you might be better off.

Imagineering
08-09-2005, 09:37 AM
Hi mrosso,
I've attached a photo of my CNC Machine which uses a Dremel with the extension cable. The fixture is a piece of 8mm threaded rod bent into a flat 'U' shape and covered with soft rubber tube. If you use this method, make sure that the fixture is not too tight, as over tightening will distort the plastic body of the Dremel causing misalignment internally, (ask me how I know). Since this photo was taken, I've moved the Dremel to the outside of the framework to get the motor further away from my Z-Axis wiring as the Dremel was causing some RFI which upset the Stepper Motor.
If you don't have a Flexi-Mount like mine, I would think that mounting the Dremel using the nose thread may be unstable as the plastic distorts, also the thread is not very precise which may lead to a Z-Axis which is not perpendicular to the other Axes.

Imagineering
08-09-2005, 09:44 AM
Oops, I think that the filesize was too large, I'll try again.

wizard
08-09-2005, 09:17 PM
Why don't you just go out and buy a tap?

That way you will always have the abiility to mount that dremel whereever you want. Considering the way that these CNC routers are continously improved that might be a very useful tool to have.

Dave

Hey guys... Anyone know where to get a nut to fit a dremel tool spindle nose? I've looked everywhere for one. The thread is 3/4"-12 UN according to Dremel customer support. Any ideas? How much would you estimate it to cost to have someone machine a thread in a chunk of Al?

Thanks,

Mario

cbass
08-09-2005, 10:04 PM
Why don't you just go out and buy a tap?

That way you will always have the abiility to mount that dremel whereever you want. Considering the way that these CNC routers are continously improved that might be a very useful tool to have.

Dave

That sounds like a great idea.

Still, if the dremel threads are plastic, I'd opt for a fixture for the reason Imagineering brought up.

Carlo

buscht
08-10-2005, 09:20 AM
The part number for a 3/4"-12 tap from McMaster Carr is 2595A356. Cost is $38.14

voltsandbolts
08-10-2005, 12:55 PM
I drilled a hole in 1/8 Alu stuck in the dremel and put the nut back on, works great... :)

6PTsocket
02-18-2016, 07:12 PM
The part number for a 3/4"-12 tap from McMaster Carr is 2595A356. Cost is $38.14

You can do better than that. Victor Machinery Exchange has the tap for around $27 and it is on ebay for $22 with free shipping ,from Shanghai. Don't forget, you still need a tap drill. You won't find it on most tap drill charts but using the standard formula of taking the 3/4 diameter and subtracting the thread pitch,1/12 (.0833), you come out with 0.6666. Te nearest bits are 21/32 and 17 mm. That is not going to fit in your drill chuck so you need a reduced shank (Silver and Deming) bit. The 21/32 can be had for around $7. That gets to be an expensive hole to tap. I was looking to do the same thing to make a router base for a Dremel.

MichaelHenry
02-18-2016, 07:38 PM
Did you realize that this thread is 11 years old?