PDA

View Full Version : Build Thread Yet another "PlasmaBot" build :D

cobretti
03-06-2011, 10:05 PM
After seeing the incredible progress of Winegar's Plasmabot build thread (http://www.cnczone.com/forums/plasma_edm_other_similar_machine/121945-starting_my_plasmabot_4x4_table.html) I was drawn in like a moth to a flame to attempt it myself. Here is the start of my build log but I am basically following Winegar's thread to the T so do not expect to see much difference here. This will be the trial and error build thread ;)

I started my table this weekend and boy welding and squaring and levelling is a task on an unlevel floor. Does not help either when the metal is not cut square.

Some grinding later and *cough* welding *cough* - this is where I am at.

As can be seen my garage is small, not level and has no space for anything else LOL

Kentuckyfarmer
03-07-2011, 06:47 AM
Looking good, as to garage size if the shop is bigger we just put more stuff in it and still no room, trust me.

Boogiemanz1
03-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Farmer, that is the truth if I ever heard it ...............................jb

winegar
03-07-2011, 07:06 PM
You got started already!... Good for you!.... You will get better welding as time goes on... I'm guessing you are using a flux core welder aren't you?.... I'm a gas kind of guy... It is a little cleaner and requires little to no grinding or wire brushing.... Cleaning welds drive me crazy!....

Looking good, just dont slack off till she is finished!

vdubjim
03-12-2011, 02:26 PM
awesome! :cheers:

When i get back from afghanistan i am gonna start mine.

winegar
03-12-2011, 03:53 PM
awesome! :cheers:

When i get back from afghanistan i am gonna start mine.

Just wanted to wish you a safe return home, and thanks to you and your guys!...
I was 2/3 ACR Howitzer Battery out of Ft Carson... How Bat is now back in Ft Hood I think... Oh, the good ol days... But i wont ponder on old memories too much... However I will be doing the Rolling Thunder "ride to the wall" this year.... about 12 hours by motorcycle.... My back just tightened up thinking about it!... Wish you guys the best!

Brave Rifles, Winegar

vdubjim
03-14-2011, 03:30 PM
Thanks.
I hope between your 2 builds ill figure this thing out :)

cobretti
03-16-2011, 01:18 PM
hey everyone just so you don't think I dropped out, I have been hospitalized since last week.

And no thankfully not a welding incident :)

Picked up an infection from who knows where since I had just started a training course and 2 days in I started feeling really sick, next day I am in hospital and still trying to get home.

What annoys me is most of my parts are waiting for me to pick up and also ordered all my gantry rails which according to PBC is 10-15 days out.

At least if I could get my smaller parts once home that can keep me busy during rest of recovery.

Well back to hospital food for now:tired:

cobretti
03-26-2011, 05:52 PM
Painful trip today as I am still not fully recovered but just had to go get the waiting parts in the States. Not everything is here yet to start on my build again but I can at least start checking things out. Pic of what was all waiting for me today including a great deal from Frys.

<off topic> Black Friday Frys had the 1100 logitech remote for $129 + a $80 rebate on top of that(this remote in Canada goes for $449). Anyway they cancelled our orders saying there was a computer glitch but after a "groubal" reinstated the order with a 12 week wait. They made us wait the full 12 weeks but it was worth it especially if my rebate goes through!</off topic>

Back on topic :) I will likely be ordering the G540 after much more reading so hopefully next week I will be back to full health and get going once more. Oh yeah rails are on order with a 10-15 day wait but winegar says he got his alot sooner than the initial ETA they gave him so hopefully the same for me.

cobretti
04-02-2011, 10:39 AM
G540 arrived yesterday as well as a very nice 15" touchscreen I picked up on ebay for $40. Works on win7 as well - it is from a kiosk so will have to fabricate my own housing.

As of today I am only waiting for the PBC rails and bushings. Also still not able to move freely so unable to finish table. Hopefully all is well by next week and I can get this project going full steam!

oh yeah it is a 3m touchstone fpm1001 if anyone is interested

Down&Dirty
04-02-2011, 03:22 PM
That touchscreen would be great to have. If it was built for a kiosk it should be pretty durable. Get to feeling better so that we can get some more updates.

cobretti
04-23-2011, 12:42 PM
ok so as noted in winegar's thread STILL waiting for PBC rails ordered on 23 March! very frustrating :boxing:

I need some advice however. Thought I was welding correctly to minimize warp by going from side to side allowing metal to cool. As I was not paying much attention only when done noticed it. Is there anyway I can get the top rail straight short of cutting it off and using 2x2 16GA instead of the 2x1. Thought I would be painting the table today :( but need to know if I should sort this out first. Other option is that the PBC rails will be level so maybe use shims in the areas which dip?

Thanks for any advice

BBR
04-23-2011, 01:07 PM
I was in the phone this week with PBC to find out my status of my rails, they showed no order from my distributor for me this is the second time with the same order.

As for your issue with you have a few options.

You can add a rib underneath with 1x2 essentially forming a T.

You can add a vertical support in the center.

You might be able to heat the back side bend and quench it to shrink the metal.

With bolting down the rail it might pull the bow out.

cobretti
04-23-2011, 02:11 PM
Thanks BBR for the options!

Actually my distributor has been ignoring me. Had said last week that it should ship this Thursday so when I called to confirm on Thursday I left 3 messages and no return call. So you called PBC directly to find out about your order? Might do the same next week.

BBR
04-23-2011, 04:38 PM
My distributor is Motion I ordered March 4th had not received anything so I called them on April 4th, they said they had dropped the ball and the order was not placed they said they would take care of it. I contacted PBC this week to check the order they then told me that there was no order placed from Motion with my info. I then called Motion they told me the order was placed back on April 4th and should be shipped soon. When I told them I had contacted PBC and they didn't have the order they said they would look into it and call me back. I have yet received a phone call.

cobretti
04-23-2011, 08:03 PM
That's pathetic and I hope you can get it sorted out soon.

I was just going to test my hvlp kit this afternoon but got carried away...:D

infection
04-23-2011, 11:45 PM
Kinda looks to me that your square tube stock wast bent before you welded it on.

I think I'd try some manual adjustment, maybe weld tubing in the middle between the upper and lower?

cobretti
04-25-2011, 02:46 PM
thanks Infection - to be honest I can't recall but with the distortion on the one side I am sure I would have seen it. I tried some heat treatment but no luck yet.

Called PBC directly today and it seems my order may have shipped. Since I did not have an order number he checked all open orders and there were IVTAASR rails still on open order to be completed by 28th (same as what I ordered) and some IVTAAN rails also still on open order. I then got hold of local distributor and they said my order shipped Thursday so should be here in 2-3 more days - we'll see :cool:

cobretti
05-05-2011, 05:27 PM
PBC (flame2) ME...no need to say anymore...I am still waiting...

Kentuckyfarmer
05-05-2011, 07:10 PM
Me to I have some rail from pbc orderd for over 3 weeks through local dist. Called today dist says pbc is 10 days or more out.
I dont see how a copany can have any bussines with this attitude. I think my holdup is pbc and not my dist, but one never knows.
I dont know of another source for this product or one like it, if anyone does please post because in the future i will gladly use something else. I hate to be a pain to a copany as important as pbc with my order, i know they have better things to do than sell the products they make.
Sorry for the long winded rant
Mike

I Lean
05-05-2011, 07:35 PM
I finally received my rails from PBC, it was about 7 weeks between ordering and receipt. All through that time they kept giving me delivery dates, then pushing them back 2 days at a time, a week at a time, etc. Took FOR-EV-ER.

cobretti
05-05-2011, 07:48 PM
Mike that is exactly how I feel - if I knew of another source I would cancel the remaining rails. I booked off next week so that I could finish my table thinking I would definitely have it today after being told last week it was PBC's mistake and they would ship it by air (what a joke):mad:

So it seems my time will be the same as Carl's...hopefully...

I hate whining but if I took 7 weeks to pay them they'd be hounding me as well.

BBR
05-05-2011, 08:07 PM
I got confirmation today that my rails are in route to my Dist. and will be available for pick up on Monday. Total wait time 2 months.

cobretti
05-06-2011, 07:46 PM
I'm not sure if the email I sent yesterday to the manager helped since he did not reply but today I got a call saying it will be here on Tuesday

dammit this is supposed to be a build log :p

cobretti
05-11-2011, 08:09 PM
well I got my rails yesterday and been working on getting things done. Since I waited almost 7 weeks for these rails I had to overlook the fact that they sent me 2 right rails as opposed to a left and right rail.

After drilling and tapping 34 holes and then trying to mount my x axis I ran into the problem as seen in the pic. I used spacers and it works but hope I won't have any rigidity issues...

The Z axis has me confused so spending some time reading through other threads - think it was the switch for touch and go which I had not installed yet.

Also bought a plasma cutter today which will stay boxed till I get a 240V circuit in the garage. I ran the cable and have the breaker ready but too tired right now.

BBR
05-11-2011, 08:44 PM
Did you try flipping the bushing around on the inside as opposed to the outside?

I Lean
05-11-2011, 08:45 PM
OOoh, hope that's OK--a good reason to wait until you have your gantry rail before making the rest of the table! :eek:

I Lean
05-11-2011, 08:46 PM
Did you try flipping the bushing around on the inside as opposed to the outside?

The spacer on the bearing has to go on the outside plate, since the inner plate isn't connected to the gantry rail at all.

BBR
05-11-2011, 08:51 PM
The spacer on the bearing has to go on the outside plate, since the inner plate isn't connected to the gantry rail at all.

It shouldn't matter if the inner shield is connected or not because the bolt supports the bushing. In fact the inner plate is not even needed it's just an optional shield for dust.

I Lean
05-11-2011, 08:57 PM
It shouldn't matter if the inner shield is connected or not because the bolt supports the bushing. In fact the inner plate is not even needed it's just an optional shield for dust.

Right...I'm not thinking clearly apparently. :o

That would definitely widen the "stance" of those bearings...and if the dimension is wrong, it wouldn't be hard to either modify the bushings or have some custom-size ones made so everything lines up just right.

cobretti
05-11-2011, 10:39 PM
thanks for the suggestions guys...BBR i thought of that but can't recall what made me not do it...i will look into it again...

yeah I should have just tack welded the top rails until i got everything but thought I was spot on.

i admit I don't like the washer "fix" and will continue looking for an alternative. BBR i will try the bushing switch tomorrow failing that maybe get them custom made as Carl suggested.

As stated before the touch and go Z axis really does not want to sink in :o:confused::D

I Lean
05-12-2011, 07:46 AM
The bushing switch OR custom bushing may not work, since it will bring the motor mount plate closer to the rail. If the difference is large enough, stuff will start interfering.

Good luck....

cobretti
05-12-2011, 06:10 PM
ah yes i see what you mean...once i get the Z going and my torch mounted I'll try a few test cuts and see how it goes with the washers.

Installed my 240V circuit today and got the plasma cutter going. I went with the Everlast PP60 which now has a trafimet A81 torch, euro connector and a CNC port on the back - need to get that setup.

slow going at the moment...

cobretti
05-14-2011, 01:27 AM
had some other stuff to do today but the washer "fix" nagged me so tried the bushing swap on the one side and it worked!

Also built my G540 and power supply into an old UPS casing and it turned out ok. Only problem is I hooked up a 48V DC fan which while powerful sounds like a jet engine. Need to either get a quieter one or look into a type of timer so only comes on every now and again - will post some pics tomorrow.

cobretti
05-15-2011, 09:12 PM
Test run with pencil...parts array test

test run video by cobrettee - Photobucket (http://s1090.photobucket.com/albums/i380/cobrettee/?action=view&current=plasma.mp4)

I Lean
05-15-2011, 10:24 PM
Exciting times! I'm just a few days ahead of you...did my first test cuts today, after rebuilding my computer. :rolleyes: (hard drive died)

Just a note...if you were actually cutting those pieces you drew, you'll want to cut the slots before you cut the outline, rather than after. Also, you might need a little space between them to account for the kerf width. (you probably already know both those things...)

cobretti
05-16-2011, 04:25 PM
Indeed it is Carl!

thanks for the tip, I did not even see that until you pointed it out :eek: I just assumed Sheetcam is doing everything and would plot the best cut path as well.

Is there a way to tell sheetcanm the order of the cut or is it in my cad drawing layers?

Will check when I am home

tulsaturbo
05-16-2011, 05:14 PM
Is there a way to tell sheetcanm the order of the cut or is it in my cad drawing layers?

Hey Edwin!

Nice work on your machine... :cheers:

In sheetcam, on the lower left area of your screen is the operations box. Just highlight the desired operation and drag to the position that you want it in the list.

When you get ready for the "touch-n-go", see the following thread...

setting up for Touch-N-Go (http://www.needfulthings.net/shopdroids/forum/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=19)

-JB

cobretti
05-16-2011, 07:35 PM
great thanks John! I posted another question over on shopdroids forum for you.

cobretti
05-16-2011, 08:09 PM
Looking for some quick advice - attached is an image of my CNC port connection for my plasma cutter. I am about to wire it up but confused on the options.

When will I use arc voltage dividers - do those wires go into the G540 at some point?

thanks!

cobretti
05-18-2011, 12:51 PM
well got the torch firing through Mach3 last night but since I have not got the grounding done yet (HF cutter) it was jamming everything up as soon as I tried to cut...some work for me this weekend.

cobretti
05-26-2011, 07:10 PM
Well I installed my 8ft copper clad rod today, grounded the table frame, PC and of course the HF cutter with #6 bare stranded copper wire. The gantry I grounded with 12Ga wire to the table frame. Controller housing also grounded directly to rod with 12ga. Unfortunately I still have sporadic cutting so not sure what more I need to do :confused: really thought I was gonna be cutting this weekend :(

cncplasma-1.mp4 video by codretti - Photobucket (http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/jj110/codretti/?action=view&current=cncplasma-1.mp4)

cobretti
05-26-2011, 07:14 PM
oh yeah - i use the mach3 plasma post processor in sheetcam and now the circles are cut almost like a U

I Lean
05-26-2011, 07:27 PM
Wow, that must really be frustrating! Makes me even more glad I didn't go cheap on the plasma--my torch lead is running right in the cable track with all my other wires, and I have no grounding anywhere, and it all seems to work great! All problems I run into have (so far) been 100% my fault, incorrect settings or whatnot.

cobretti
05-26-2011, 09:32 PM
unfortunately in Canada it would have been double for the PM45 and having gone over budget already meant the cutter would have to take the hit. The new Everlast units is one of the better Chinese makes and it is the HF on CNC that is more the problem...it cuts great otherwise.

I am still very new to this game so hopefully all the reading will pay off soon and I can get this unit working like it should. The pics below are what I managed to cut tonight after some more fiddling. Bear in mind this is the side of an old computer case so very unclean, deformed and thin sheet metal. I am seeing the same vibration winegar had at higher speeds so 2 stars with circle at top are at 350ipm and rest at 50ipm. Still gotta learn more about kerf, height and what psi/amp to use on cutter. For now I am referencing the PM45 manual for that - mine does not have it.

forgot to add that the moving the ground clamp from the sheet I was cutting to the metal supports I am temporarily using gave me more of a consistent cut. Is it because the piece was not clean enough? Will get some sheet tomorrow and test on a piece that requires more torch on/off during the cut to be sure.

cobretti
05-28-2011, 10:49 PM
So after watching a disappointing UEFA final - Man U why? :p I decided to hit the table again. Been very frustrating so gave myself some breathing time.

After building a faraday cage for my controller housing I got better results BUT not consistent unfortunately. I am in talks with Everlast to switch to their blowback model - hopefully next week.

Anyway here are some cuts after the faraday cage was installed. Have to say that apart from the HF this cutter works great! Hardly any dross on most of these cuts

cobretti
05-30-2011, 09:48 PM
Managed to get an almost complete run with the faraday cage in. Some steps still missed but was able to get this out. Ordered more shielded cable to extend distance between torch and controller...

cobretti
06-11-2011, 04:25 PM
Well machine is starting to work like it should. I am no longer using the faraday cage but moved the PC and controller further away from the torch and along with the grounding seems to have done the trick.

I cut some slats (not all) and also did a sundial which came out pretty good. Again this cutter is doing very well despite my initial HF issues.

YouTube - &#x202a;plasmacut.wmv&#x202c;&rlm;

vcooney
06-12-2011, 06:41 AM
Nice work on the sundial, looks like you have that cutter dialed in good.
Good job.

cobretti
06-12-2011, 10:51 AM
thanks vcooney...here is another puzzle I cut - still need to remember that when I scale drawings down that the grooves need to change for the type of material used. I welded this one together as well as parts are too loose.

cobretti
07-05-2011, 08:37 PM
Been awhile but with summer so short up here you got to make the most of it. just an update that I gave up on the grounding issues with the HF cutter and the dealer agreed to let me switch to the less powerful 50amp unit but...more importantly is that it has blowback so no more HF problems for me :banana:

Attached is first cut with the new unit at 20amp on 16ga steel

mike2768
07-10-2011, 10:18 PM
So you couldnt get the whole HF sorted out, :( i 'm building a machine now and plan to use the latest LOTOS plasma. I have a feeling i will have the same trouble. Where did you get the new non HF plasma cutter from, somewhere in Canada. I'm from Ontario and info would be good.

Thanks, Mike

Been awhile but with summer so short up here you got to make the most of it. just an update that I gave up on the grounding issues with the HF cutter and the dealer agreed to let me switch to the less powerful 50amp unit but...more importantly is that it has blowback so no more HF problems for me :banana:

Attached is first cut with the new unit at 20amp on 16ga steel

cobretti
07-11-2011, 01:05 AM
Mike

Yes the HF was a problem and though I managed to eliminate most of it, the intermittent nature of it caused too much wasted material and lots of frustration!

I went with the Everlast Powerplasma 50 which as noted, is their blowback version. I am in GTA and got it from Everlastwelders.ca(Duncan) in Burlington. I have since cut a few parts troublefree.

mike2768
07-11-2011, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the info, I would like to come bye and check your set
Up out if that's ok. Any ways let me know ok.

Thanks again,
Mike

Mike

Yes the HF was a problem and though I managed to eliminate most of it, the intermittent nature of it caused too much wasted material and lots of frustration!

I went with the Everlast Powerplasma 50 which as noted, is their blowback version. I am in GTA and got it from Everlastwelders.ca(Duncan) in Burlington. I have since cut a few parts troublefree.