PDA

View Full Version : DRO for IH Mill

jer29_11_13
08-06-2005, 05:44 PM
I am new to this forum and many others on machines and machining. I'm not sure how I found out about the IH Mill but I am really impressed!!! :D

Also I would like to thank everyone for sharing their knowledge and experience and helping hobby machinist everywhere.

I'm about to order a Birmingham 12x36 lathe and have been looking for something comparable in a mill. I really wasn't looking for a massive 2k pounder but was considering the Grizzly G3103 or the G3616 but...eureka! :banana: I discovered IH mill and their great website.

MikeAber: do you or anyone else here have any knowledge on adding a 3 axis DRO to the IH and which setup would you recommend?

Also what other accessories would you recommend for the IH mill?

Thanks again for your input! :cheers:

MikeAber
08-07-2005, 01:25 AM
Hi jer29 11 13, :)

I'm not using a DRO on any of my machines, they are pretty generic in how they are installed and function. Maybe someone here has had a good experience with one and will comment. Otherwise I would send Aaron Moss (Industrial Hobbies.com) an email and ask if there are any DRO's that work or fit better on the IH mill than others.

As far as accessories go, it depends on what your doing. The obvious ones are a milling machine vise, power feed, collet set, drill chucks, drills, mills, surface mills, table step block & clamp set, parallels, Dial test indicator with magnetic base, edge finder, V-block set and a good book if your new to this.
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=91158&postcount=1
The book listed in the first post of the Industrial Hobbies forum thread covers the use all of these items and many more. Look around at use-enco.com, mscdirect.com, and littlemachineshop.com websites. The littlemachineshop website has lots of information on tooling and accessories, I highly recommend it.

Welcome to the land of the "Big MIll".