PDA

View Full Version : outer conture

KSPATZ
02-25-2011, 01:49 PM
Could anyone help me for understanding my problem to milling the outer conture?
Always the curve generate a milling path inside the material, but it is necessary to mill from outside the material to generate the surface shown in picture.

Thank you for help!

Kersten

Dan B
02-26-2011, 05:47 PM
Hi Kersten,

If you are profiling and the tool is on the wrong side of the curve, that's easy to change. Please look at the screen shot I attached.

If I misunderstood the issue please give more details.

Thanks,

Dan

KSPATZ
02-28-2011, 04:15 AM
Hi Dan,

A lot of thanks for fast und super answer.
It works!

Kersten

svenakela
02-28-2011, 04:50 AM
Dan's answer is spot on, I just want to fill in with:

If the curve is closed the in/out options works as expected.
If the curve is open there's no way to determine what side is in or out. Then the behaviour you see is happening.

If the curve is open there can also be "holes" that creates non straight tool paths etc. If you know that the curve is tight and have not opening it's not a problem at all. An easy way to avoid the problem though, is select all the lines in the curve and then use the Rhino-command Join or CloseCrv.

turmite
03-02-2011, 01:08 AM
Curve direction can also come into play here. I have found a couple of instances where I could change in/out option and still have the tool path created on the wrong side but once I changed the curve direction, all was good.

Mike

svenakela
03-05-2011, 04:04 AM
Curve direction can also come into play here. I have found a couple of instances where I could change in/out option and still have the tool path created on the wrong side but once I changed the curve direction, all was good.

Mike

Correct. There's simply no way to decide what side is the outer side if the curve is open. The direction is used to make tool path so you are also spot on. :)