PDA

View Full Version : 5 Axis required or not

pinguS
02-22-2011, 03:24 AM
Hi All

We are looking at moving over to SC 2011, but are not sure whether to have the 5 axis module. All our work is basically position and mill, some 3d surface stuff, but not propellar blades, etc.. I personally have only just started to uses HSM, not really HSS (not sure what this is for). But have never even asked about the 5 axis module.

The other thing is, the machine we have looked at is a 5 axis Mori Seiki, and these guys are insistant on Esprit Cam system (included with machine), however as Solidcam Forum advice should I just tell them to get rid of esprit and reduce the purchase price? Because I can't get away from Solidcam, just too good to use.

We have chosen the 5 axis only to simplify loading and unloading operations, could just get a trunnion on our other mills, but sometimes new is good. Also Mori themselves do not know this yet either, until we are fully sure :)

dengo
02-22-2011, 05:31 PM
HSS is pretty good I think. Its basically the 5axis interface but 3 axis toolpaths. It's great for working on surfaces. If cost comes into it just go 4axis index with HSS thrown in. If cost not an issue then go full 5axis, that is what we did in here. As for software, the customer is always right..........it's your choice.

Brakeman Bob
02-23-2011, 03:02 AM
One thing I love about five axis is I don't have to use tools that are sticking out of the holder by a thousand miles because of clearance issues. Other benefits are shorter cycle times and nicer finishes. The HSS module uses the same methodology as the five axis module but 5X has an extra page to allow for control of tool tilt, lead & lean.

What control does this Mori have for 5 axis? We have Heidenhain and the five axis functions on there are superb. For example, we can position a part anyware on the table, adjust the presets using a probe and the control takes care of the rest. Some controls require the position of the part relative to centres of rotation to be included in post-processing so that the program positions the kinematics correctly.

Ask Mori for a solid model of your machine so that SolidCAM can make a simulation file for you. That is really worth it, especially if you work close up to the machine envelope - there is nothing more frustrating than sending a program out to the machine only for it to come back because the machine has gone out of limits.

pinguS
02-23-2011, 03:50 AM
Bob

Cheers for the advice, I believe it will be Heidenhain, and I prefer Solidcam to be honest, do not wish to try and learn another CAM software, so will tel Mori where to "stick" that, and reduce the price.

Or the same old haggling line of "I'll buy someone else's machine" will come to play. (at which point, they'll probably say "go on then") :)

Brakeman Bob
02-24-2011, 02:50 AM
Actually, check out the DMG five axis machines. Mori Seiki and DMG are in a partnership now, there are some nice 5X machines in DMG's range and the Mori rep should know about them.

Also, have a look at the Hermle B300 as an option - there were some good deals on that machine last year.

canwong
02-24-2011, 03:53 AM
I think no need 5 axes.