PDA

View Full Version : New Machine Build 4x8 Oxy / Plasma Table

Kentuckyfarmer
02-20-2011, 06:35 PM
After reading hundreds of post and asking some dumb questions (plenty more to come i am sure) time to start is here. Table will be 5x10 overall this will give me a full 4x8 cut area, I know in 6 months I will wish it was bigger, shop is already crowded,40 x 60 just aint as big as it used to be.
I orderd my electronics from CanCnc, due in a couple weeks, I hope, have gear rack, most of the frame steel, aluminum for gantry. I will use down draft instead of water for dust and smoke control. Happend to find a deal on new Hypertherm Powermax 65 with hand and machine torch the other day. I thought wife would love it for valintines day, grin, she was not as excited as should have been, go figure.
I will try to post pics as I go, so far not much to show, we have all seen a pile of metal.
One thing I still need to get a handle on, I went with the 5 axis Blade runner kit, have a use for the tube slice option, I have seen extended gantrys refered to, anyone that could point me in the right direction on them it would help.
Not bragging but I can weld and fab better than I can type or spell, lol.
Thanks Mike
BTW it never fails, the best way to pick up work when you are self employed is plan a project for your self, watch your shop fill up. I am not coplaining.

WSS
02-25-2011, 01:17 AM
In looking at Tom's kits I noticed it MAY be possible to run one of the "spare" axis to alternate between oxy and plasma via dual THC's. This way you would not have to switch out torches. Just a thought for guys doing new builds needing both country and western.

WSS

Kentuckyfarmer
02-25-2011, 06:51 AM
That would be great, I'm still waiting on delivery of the candc parts. Trying to round up all my stuff while other shop projects are getting cleared up. The build and fab is easy for me, the computer part is all new.
More dumb questions will follow.
Mike

Boogiemanz1
02-27-2011, 12:02 AM
Farmer, seems you are not getting any answers. I'll help with what little I know. I have been trying to figure the best way to go. There are some really good builds in the archives. I am using rack and pinion with a 20 degree pressure angle and 20 pitch. My pinion gear is about 1" OD. I bought 3:1 belt reductions from EBAY. I am using the same CandCNC kit you are. I went with the Hypertherm Max 85. I'm working on a level support to fab the table. If I were to start new again, I would build with aluminum t-slot extrusions . If I can help PM me................jb

MetalHead6263
02-27-2011, 09:32 AM
Looking foward to your build Mike .

Kentuckyfarmer
02-27-2011, 05:04 PM
Still waiting on CandCnc stuff, would like to have most parts on hand when I start. Picked up a computer from new egg the other day. Hypertherm 65 should be here in a few days, delay is not a big deal have tractor in shop for overhaul and customer wants it painted also, Weather has been warm hauled of a few load scrap while price is up. As for cnc controllers i will stick with made in usa, but thanks anyway.
Mike

Kentuckyfarmer
03-04-2011, 08:09 PM
Got a chance to do a little on table the other eve. Got main frame welded up still need to add braces to legs and more supports, then flip over and weld other side, CandC goodies due next week. My tractor I feed with lost the clutch yesterday so it gets my attention before the table will. Newest tractor on the farm and it decides to break, go figure.

scrambled
03-04-2011, 08:30 PM
Kentuckyfarmer-

Looks good. You will be glad that you went with the cancnc stuff. I am also using it.

Steve

Kentuckyfarmer
03-04-2011, 08:41 PM
Yea it was a no brainer for me I just never got into electronics so that is my weakness. If it is mechanical I will work on it because one way or the other you can see what moves what, not the case for me in electronics. I know some people can build from scratch for the drivers and controlers I am not that person. Spend some money with Tom I can do other stuff my self to ofset his cost.

Kentuckyfarmer
03-06-2011, 04:33 PM
Got in some more work on table while waiting on parts for tractor. Put in leg braces welded on side rails got angle vee rails lined up and welded in place.
Need to put in slat supports and paint, also need to start gantry.
Please excuse picture quality cell phone is all I had with me.

Kentuckyfarmer
03-12-2011, 09:35 PM
Making progress, got new hypertherm 65 with machine torch thursday, got box full of CandCnc Blade Runner goodies came ups friday, christmas in march in Kentucky.
Painted table I H red, put in slat holders, and slats, sure am glad to have iron worker it makes short work of cutting slats to length.
Started gantry may get more on it tomorow.
My slat holders can be removed by taking out 9 bolts if I ever decide to put in a water pan, as of now aim to go with down draft.
The electrical is getting closer this is my weakness, may prove interestig, will be a learning experiance.
Mike

massimo38
03-13-2011, 12:28 PM
I follow your work from italy, Very nice

WSS
03-14-2011, 02:17 AM
KF,
Looks good! If you can, incorporate a water table during your build. I figured i would add it later and it still is not done. If you put it in upfront, you will not have to rework the table to fit it in later.

Nice progress.

WSS

Kentuckyfarmer
03-14-2011, 06:59 AM
Yea I know what you mean, weall have those round to it projects setting around. My slat supports are held in with 9 bolts so I can remove them put pan in frame and put slats back. I plan to use down draft instead of water atleast start that way.
Thanks Mike

Kentuckyfarmer
03-21-2011, 05:11 PM
Got motor mounts and gear reductions cut out over the weekend, they proved more time consuming than I would have thought. One instaled the others are ready to put togeter.

drafterman
03-22-2011, 10:00 PM
Looks good! Is that an I-beam that you are using for the gantry?

Kentuckyfarmer
03-23-2011, 08:20 PM
sort of Drafterman, it is 2 pc of 3" al c chanel bolted together back to back strong and light wt.

Kentuckyfarmer
03-27-2011, 06:27 PM
Finally, there may be light at the end of the tunnel, may be the wrong kind though. Got rest of gantry done z axis and floating torch holder made. Ran wires and e track took longer than one would think, still need to add home switchs. Tested movement in all directions today, seems to work, need to tune motors, and do final calibration etc.
Side note sheetcam is a pita to me, just have not got my head around it yet.
Still need to make conections to the hypertherm 65, damn i hate to start taking apart a brand new machine, just dont seem right.
Looking forward to any and all feedback good or bad.
Pics posted below

WSS
03-27-2011, 11:19 PM
Wow! You are moving along at a good clip. Looks like a good design. What are your plans for the oxy/fuel? Or have you got that far yet?

The break-away looks solid and clean, do you have more than one mount/holder?

Looking forward to more posts and pics.

WSS

elektro21
03-28-2011, 12:01 AM
Your plasma table looks great!

I noticed you are using angle iron for your V rails. Are you using a precision v-bearing or did you machine something? If you purchased a v-bearing I'm curious where you sourced them?

Keep up the great work!

Nate

Kentuckyfarmer
03-28-2011, 07:04 AM
As far oxy/fuel I have a machine torch on a track burner that I will use for now would liketo go with gas console in the future. The mag mount was al air cyl base that I bored out to fit my torch , drilled them and pressed magnets in each side to hold them together. I think I have another cylinder base or 2 to make another mount. The 4 button haed 3/8 bolts act as lineup points, seems prety solid.
I used angle iron, because it was cheap, with v groove bearings, the y axis rides on 1/8 cr flat stock and the z is on 1/8 that i surface ground the edges so it was true. It was 1/8 x 3 hr from the slat material, all I had at the time.
Thanks Mike

Kentuckyfarmer
04-17-2011, 07:14 PM
The table has a home, got it moved against the wall, put skirts on and ran duct work for downdraft. put fan outside. I used a grain bin fan for draft low cost heavy duty, the one I used is 12 inch a 18 inch would work better, i had the 12 on hand. Here is a source for fans if anyone is interested Home page Sloan Express (http://www.sloanex.com/).
I am going to have to replace my gantry rail the al I beam has to much flex going with 30 30 80 20 rail and pbc linear v rails, live and learn.

Kentuckyfarmer
05-18-2011, 10:20 PM
Got my PBC linear rail today. Not to bad for turn around time i orderd it on april 11 this is may 18 i was told it would take 3 weeks. I know I am not alone with this problem, they must use pony express, poor old pony about gave out on the trip here.