PDA

View Full Version : Torch clearance

kiramunch@sympa
02-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Could someone please advise what the clearance should be between the plasma torch and the workpiece or suggest a starting point. This would be for a non computer controlled torch height adjustment ie manual. Thanx guys.....Pete

jimcolt
02-13-2011, 12:13 PM
There are hundreds of different models and makes of plasma torches....they are of different power levels (from 12 to 1000 amps!) and of different designs.....they require different torch to work distance heights depending on the material and thickness being cut, as well as the power level and consumables being used. There also is a different height for piercing and cutting most materials.

What plasma system are you referring to, and what material are you cutting?

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Could someone please advise what the clearance should be between the plasma torch and the workpiece or suggest a starting point. This would be for a non computer controlled torch height adjustment ie manual. Thanx guys.....Pete

kiramunch@sympa
02-13-2011, 12:38 PM
Thanx Jim. There are 2 types of material we will be using. First, 16 ga. 304 stainless tubing. This tubing will have a tooth pattern on the end and also 1.0 holes cut in it using a rotary axis. The other material will be .063 aluminum sheet cut flat on the table, 3000 series or 6061, not sure yet which. The cutter would be a Lotos 50A with pilot arc start and contact start. What are your thoughts? Pete

jimcolt
02-13-2011, 12:47 PM
For all of that material you can pierce and cut at the same height....should be right around .062" torch to work distance. I would try to refer to your torch manufacturer for the best settings for those two materials.....you probably have an Italian made Trafimet torch.

If you had a Hypertherm system I would recommend the exact consumables, amperage level, pierce delay time and travel speed for best cut quality.....but with the Lotos (Chinese) and Trafimet (Italian) power supply and torch you may have to develop cutting specs on your own. I'll be happy to make suggestions after you do initial testing. My first suggestion will be to try operating at about 35 amps output, and if they have a nozzle (tip) with a smaller orifice (than the 50 amp one) then you should use that as well.

Jim Colt Hypertherm