PDA

View Full Version : Which CAD/CAM software

dirtridn2010
02-06-2011, 03:27 AM
Given the capabilities of the Mikini. Which CADCAM software offers the best price/performance as well as having all the features to help the Mikini to reach its full capacity/potential. Peter

SWATH
02-07-2011, 08:57 AM
I don't have my Mikini yet so I can't speak too much on the CAM side of things but I use RhinoCAM. Rhino is a powerful NURBS modeler and pairs well with VisualMill to create RhinoCAM. The CAD and CAM are associative and integrated so they both run in the same program. They both seem to be very powerful and as with most software also a little quarky. In conversations with Phil (at Mikini) he spoke very highly of VisualMill as opposed to others and said it is probably the best CAM software in its price range on the market. After my own research I eventually went with RhinoCAM Pro. I had used AutoCAD in the past and was satisfied with it and had demo'd OneCNC but in the end I found RhinoCAM way easier to use and more powerful, but that's just me.

dirtridn2010
02-07-2011, 06:45 PM
I guess that some of the process is about how comfortable one is in using one package or another. I do like the idea of having one integrated package (CAD and CAM). While each system comes with its own little quirks, likes and dislikes. how we percieve them is an individual thing. Support too for me is a bit of an issue. In the states, some talk of the time delay (California to New York say) but for a lot of software, it is out of the U.S. and we here in Australia often have a delay that far exceeds the aforementioned. I will try to download some demo programs to get the feel for various packages and come up with some sort of compromise between price, features and support. I am keen too on a system that I can run on my imac and still use in the windows environment the machine is running under for an edit etc. I think i'm dreaming on that front.

mcphill
02-07-2011, 07:25 PM
I use BobCAM, but I model in SolidWorks. The CAD side of BobCAD/CAM isn't the greatest, but I am very happy with the CAM side.