PDA

View Full Version : Its nackered please help

mikie
07-28-2005, 08:19 AM
Hey guys,

I hae just built my cnc table and hooked up the Gecko 201's to my pc which is running Mach2.

Nothing happens!Bugger
Any suggestions on what I should be looking for to get this thing going. I have read through all of the Gecko handouts and the Mach2 setup stuff. I believe its set correctly, but I'm resigned to the fact i have made an error some where.

I tried to use Mach 2 in manual mode, but my Y-axis ( the only axis i tried to run tonight) didn't move at all.

cheers
Michael

ynneb
07-28-2005, 08:55 AM
Do the steppers hold position? This will tell us if your driver cards are working?
If yes, then it is more than likely a signal issue to your driver cards.
This could be faulty wiring, or misconfiguration of your settings in Mach2

ger21
07-28-2005, 09:00 AM
Like Benny says, when you turn on the Gecko, the motor should lock up. If it doesn't, then your problem is with the Geckos. If it does lock up, the Problem is your Mach2 setup. Make sure you have it set to the correct port, for starters. And I'd recommend using Mach3, as you can't migrate your settings from Mach2, and there are many benefits to using Mach3. So it'll be easier if you just start with Mach3, imo.

ynneb
07-28-2005, 09:44 AM
I suppose if the steppers dont lock up it could also be your power supply to the cards also. Check that there is voltage been applied to the Geckos too.

mikie
07-28-2005, 05:49 PM
Thanks guys,

I will go throught all of this tonight.

mikie
07-29-2005, 07:38 AM
Okay,

I bought some other elctronic stuff today to make sure that the gecko's were wired properly. This i am sure is correct - now.

I powered it up again and from what i can see the motors are have no holding capability. This eludes too - Gecko setup is wrong. I kind of have the feeling that it might have to do with the power supply I am using. It is a regulated unit delivering >50Vdc and from the output rating a couple of Amp. I don't know that it is actally delivering this current.

The Gecko's have a red light illuminate when the pwr supply is switched on. I believe this is okay. I want to go into work tomorrow and pull out one of the rectifier units that we have. It has 4 bays and can deliver in excess of 10 Amps at 48Vdc. We use them to power big Telecuminications equipment. If this unit doesn't fix the issue, I have no idea where to go next.

I have wired the Vexta drives as per some schematics I found on the Net.
http://www.orientalmotor.com/suppor..._connection.htm

Shows one phase is Black/Green and the other Red/Blue.

Any other thoughts as to what it may be.
Are you guys running a home built Pwr supply, I forgot to look at your Benny when I was over there last time.

/Michael

mikie
07-29-2005, 08:44 AM
Okay I just tried something else, I put a bunch of batteries together and powered the Gecko. I now have holding torque. I also used a spare stepper that I had lying around.

I tried Mach 2 to move the axis, but nothing. I would assume I am now troubleshooting a Mach2 setup problem?

benny, any help appreciated.
Is Mach 3 the better answer and way forward.
I am going to download this now and have a look at it.

/M