PDA

View Full Version : How are you clamping your vise down?

mcphill
01-03-2011, 01:55 PM
I bought 2 of the 6" vises from Mikini. I was expecting them to be the Kurt vise style with tab "ears" that bolt directly to the table using T-Nuts (as is shown on the Mikini site). Phil said they switched to this new type in 2010, and they don't have T-bolt tabs on them - in order to mount them to the table I have to clamp them with step clamps, which ends up being a pretty bulky setup...

What are the rest of you doing?

I don't have a pic of mine to post right now, but was thinking maybe drilling through it off-center to bolt it down directly.

Looking for something that is less bulky than what I have on the table now...

dertsap
01-03-2011, 02:02 PM
can you bolt them to a sub plate

mcphill
01-03-2011, 02:25 PM
I could tap the vise and bolt a sub-plate to that, then bolt the plate to the table... That's probably a better idea the drilling out a hole through the vise... MIC6 sub-plates should work, and I have some stock... Good idea if I don't fine a more "friendly" clamping solution... The vise does have a keyway slot that would be nice to use if I can, but I guess I could also slot the sub-plate and use a key on both sides (one for the vise and one for the table)...

BPR
01-15-2011, 09:27 PM
Aloha Mike,

could you post a pic of the new style vise? I originally ordered 2 as well, but ran into a deal on a pair of GMT vises. I thought, as you did, that the Mikini vises had tabs. The GMT premiums have bolt slots as well as a clamping lip, and the GMT standard have the tabs. Could you mill bolt slots into the base of yours?