PDA

View Full Version : HELP with PartWorks 3D (Cut 3D)

jfortenbery
12-31-2010, 11:26 AM
I'm pretty skilled w/ Partworks (Cut 2D). I'm brand new to Partworks 3D. I'm trying to project curves or arcs onto a 3D model. I then want to cut them like pockets, in that they don't extend from edge to edge and they will be cut the exact width of my end mill (.023 in).

Is there a function in Partworks 3D to do this ... or must I make the change in my model (Rhino). The problem there is it took me FOREVER to make the model. It would take me FOREVER and a day to figure out how to make the pockets.

I'm cutting fret slots in a fingerboard which is tapered and has a compound radius on the top surface.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Tony Mac
12-31-2010, 06:03 PM
Hello Jeff,

PartWorks 3D is not the solution for the type of toolpaths you require.

You need to be looking at Aspire / software that allows 2D geometry
to be projected onto an underlying 3D shape. You may require these
toolpaths to be wrapped and not projected onto the 3D surface, and
if this is the case then Aspire is not the answer.

For reference - PartWorks is identical to VCarve Pro - not Cut2D

Good luck with the project.

Tony

jfortenbery
01-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Thanks, Tony! Your response saved me a lot of time ... trying to find and answer that I apparently won't! the info regarding VCarve Pro is helpful too.

Not familiar with the term "wrapping" the toolpaths. Does that mean to create the vectors in the cad (Rhino) and then toolpath with the cam (PW 3D)?

Thanks,
Jeff

Tony Mac
01-01-2011, 02:10 PM
Thanks, Tony! Your response saved me a lot of time ... trying to find and answer that I apparently won't! the info regarding VCarve Pro is helpful too.

Not familiar with the term "wrapping" the toolpaths. Does that mean to create the vectors in the cad (Rhino) and then toolpath with the cam (PW 3D)?

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff,

Difficult to explain but lets give this a go.

Take a 2" long vector line and when projecting this onto a curved surface it will result in the true length of the toolpath being longer than 2"

Wrapping the 2" long line results in the toolpath being 2" long following the underlying 3D surface.

If this is required you will need additional software.

Tony

jfortenbery
01-01-2011, 02:34 PM
Tony,

I think I get the distinction. Either will work for me, in my application.

Do you think I can do either with the software available to me? (Rhino CAD and PartWorks 3D)

Thanks,
Jeff

Tony Mac
01-01-2011, 02:51 PM
PW 3D / Cut3D does not have any options for creating toolpaths
that follow vectors / lines. This software simply machines a
complete 3D model to the specified material limits or to the
silhouette of the models outer-most edge.

Aspire will allow 2D vectors to be used to calculate toolpaths that
can be projected onto an underlying shape, and this may do what
you require.

I would suggest experimenting with the Trial version of Aspire 3
available to download from the Vectric web site.

Tony

jfortenbery
01-01-2011, 03:18 PM
Thanks, Tony! Will do.